Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Interesting Graphic on Columbus & Indy Tourism

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel Interesting Graphic on Columbus & Indy Tourism

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

arenn
    Participant

The Indianapolis Business Journal did a few articles on the convention business this week, and they included a sidebar with a quick comparison between Indy and Columbus:

Click to access QuickHits-021510.pdf

Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, but interesting I thought. Columbus has more space and visitors, Indy more booked room nights and restaurants. I assume the difference in the length of the amenity list is simply the Indy folks’ greater familiarity with their own products. (My own impression is that Indy does have a better and stronger downtown, but Columbus a much better urban core overall).

Analogue Kid
    Participant

One thing made all the difference: Ohio State Football

cc

Yep, people come for OSU football and most leave after the game.

Regardless, even the article questions the numbers given. Generally I think ‘<name the city> Business Journals’ are not worth the glossy paper they are printed on.

Thory
    Participant

Strange that they left out our Ohio, Palace, and Southern Theaters, and the Riffe Center. Can’t see any simple conclusions to draw from this other than the Buckeye theory above.

agtw31

they forgot the Moparnationals in August,which brings over 100,000 people to the Columbus area in 2 days.
    even though a lot of people get rooms in the sticks near the dragstrip where the main event is,rooms in Columbus are non existent on that weekend.

thanks to the idiots in Heath installing speeding cameras,look for more business for Columbus proper,because the organizers of the meet have boycotted Heath.

drew
    Participant

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    One thing made all the difference: Ohio State Football

OTOH, there’s the Indy 500 & the Superbowl-contender Colts… I bet it’s a wash.

Regarding the discrepancy in visitor #’s, I’m going to throw a thoroughly wild ass guess out and suggest that the folks living around Columbus are far more likely to visit us than the people who live around Indy are to visit it. Also suspect that there are far more people living within, say, a 60 mile radius of Columbus.

alove
    alove
    Participant

With a new Hilton and several new downtown attractions coming up, we’re well on our way…

agtw31

drew wrote >>

Also suspect that there are far more people living within, say, a 60 mile radius of Columbus.

if they are 60 miles south or north,they are going to Cleveland or Cinci.

Columbusite

The list of downtown attractions in Indianapolis is entirely within their downtown whereas those for Columbus include German Village, the Short North, and OSU which are all outside of Downtown. Their “cultural districts” are just like our downtown districts: Arena, Discovery, etc. I think the reasons for why our downtown has half the number of restaurants compared to theirs is due to their city being more downtown-oriented while we’re more oriented towards neighborhoods outside of downtown.

I think you nailed it, Columbusite. If you visit Indy, you’re pretty much going to stay downtown or in the outerbelt/burbs, but not likely between. Whereas in Columbus you can stay in any of the little mini-cities like GV, SN, etc.

I lived in Indy from the ages of 7-18 and I daresay that Columbus wins, hands down, in terms of just about everything I consider to be cool. My totally subjective opinion!

Columbusite

There are pockets of urbanism here and there, like Broad Ripple, Fountain Square,Irvington, Falls Creek Place, and Meridian-Kessler, but little as dense as Columbus’ neighborhoods.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

We have a bigger river *G*

But we need to sell ours better.

ehill27
    Participant

Yes, but unfortunately our river is polluted, brown and often smells from the runoff of raw sewage. So, first priority needs to be cleaning the river.

Columbus’ Scioto River vs Indy’s White River

alexs wrote >>
    We have a bigger river *G*

But we need to sell ours better.

Yup agreed!! Columbus would do well to develop the riverside. Think of the opportunities!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The Scioto River is the nose on this city’s face. I’m working on changing the way this city relates to it. Fortunately FOSR is not alone in these efforts, but we’re fighting old perceptions and practices.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: