Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Infographic: The Benefits of Public Transportation

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Infographic: The Benefits of Public Transportation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

rus
    Participant

pedex said:
    you assume COTA would be in the commercial RE business, doesn’t have to be the case at all

we already have transit and convention center authorities renting out space for commercial purposes w/o problems to begin with

Yes, I’m presuming that considering that’s how rail developed in the kanto plain.

Guess it’s an open question if two or more entities are in play if the development would follow a similar pattern with similar success. And it is successful; when I lived there I didn’t drive the entire time. Transit takes a lot more time, but otherwise it’s very doable.

Twixlen
    Participant

rus said:
    Seems like it would be a bit of a change to a permit public sector agency to get into the retail business. They’d be competing directly with private sector grocers, community markets, and other entities based on the goods they sold.

That really what you want?

I never assumed that the retail was owned by the gov’t. As others mentioned, there are many examples of gov’t entities contracting w private corps to provide as service. Hell, *schools* do this all the time.

rus
    Participant

As an aside, is light rail really the only answer? Is bus rapid transit a better option in some areas?

http://reason.com/blog/2012/06/21/la-expo-line-opens-two-more-rail-station

pedex
    Participant

rus said:
    As an aside, is light rail really the only answer? Is bus rapid transit a better option in some areas?

http://reason.com/blog/2012/06/21/la-expo-line-opens-two-more-rail-station

I dunno, are you gonna keep judging things in an extremely myopic fashion and time frame with no consideration of history and other major factors? If so, then there is no solution at all.

rus
    Participant

pedex said:
    I dunno, are you gonna keep judging things in an extremely myopic fashion and time frame with no consideration of history and other major factors? If so, then there is no solution at all.

So much for having a reasonable discussion.

Bear
    Participant

Who are we trying to convince here—the one CU lurker who hasn’t made up his or her mind on the question of public transportation?

pedex
    Participant

rus said:
    So much for having a reasonable discussion.

Oh we are, we have done this before. You throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks w/o much consideration or knowledge. In case you didn’t learn this before, trains, street cars, rail infrastructure is long long term type project. Takes decades not months or a few years. It takes time, planning, and some patience. Read some of the articles by Feignebaum LOL. He has patience for HOT lanes or HOV lanes but can’t seem to muster up any for much else, hmmm. The original street car and rail lines in Columbus and its surrounding areas took decades to build and develop, this has been pointed out to you before among other factors, big picture, if you can’t see the bigger picture then what have you got? Hell we are still building roads in Columbus and just now reality is starting to set in about being able to pay for them, change takes time even in instant gratification land. Building things takes way longer than tearing them down too. Cities are living experiments just like many other things we do, sometimes mistakes are made, sometimes history and trends are ignored, why not learn from them?

rus
    Participant

Bear said:
    Who are we trying to convince here—the one CU lurker who hasn’t made up his or her mind on the question of public transportation?

No one at all, apparently.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.