Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Infographic: The Benefits of Public Transportation

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Infographic: The Benefits of Public Transportation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MRipley
    Participant

Guess it would be interesting to hear/read how they fiqure that “people riding the rails get more errands out of the way en route?”

errand
    Definition
    er·rand[ érrənd ]er·rands Plural

NOUN
    1. short trip for somebody else’s benefit: a short trip somewhere to do something on behalf of somebody else, e.g. to buy something or deliver a message
    “She sometimes runs errands for me if I’m not well enough to go out.”
    2. task undertaken for somebody else: a task that somebody goes somewhere to carry out for somebody else
    [ Old English ǣrende “message, mission” < ? ]

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MRipley said:
    Guess it would be interesting to hear/read how they fiqure that “people riding the rails get more errands out of the way en route?”

My assumption would be that they’re saying that a transit rider is more likely to consolidate errands into a single trip than someone commuting by car.

MRipley
    Participant

Walker said:
    My assumption would be that they’re saying that a transit rider is more likely to consolidate errands into a single trip than someone commuting by car.

Oh. Still don’t see where combining errands via train requiring multiple boarding and unboarding, waiting on a specific time schedule, getting from a train station to your multiple destinations (taking a cab, walking in the rain/snow, heat) lugging grocery bags, dry cleaning, and a broken toaster oven while taking the kids to the dentist on a potentially crowded public rail car makes life “simpler” than throwing the stuff (including kids) into your automobile and run your errands directly to the front door of each stop.

My assumption is that proponents will claim just about anything to justify their objective, reasonable or not.

bucki12

I am guessing they meant ‘tasks’ instead of ‘errands’ which might include reading, making business calls, checking email, etc – all of which are frowned upon when in control of a vehicle.

I could be wrong, but I think this is more a sloppy, incorrect word choice.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

MRipley said:
    Oh. Still don’t see where combining errands via train requiring multiple boarding and unboarding, waiting on a specific time schedule, getting from a train station to your multiple destinations (taking a cab, walking in the rain/snow, heat) lugging grocery bags, dry cleaning, and a broken toaster oven while taking the kids to the dentist on a potentially crowded public rail car makes life “simpler” than throwing the stuff (including kids) into your automobile and run your errands directly to the front door of each stop.

My assumption is that proponents will claim just about anything to justify their objective, reasonable or not.

Except that it is reasonable for some. It may not be reasonable for you personally but that doesn’t make it a valid reason to not consider building out alternatives.

DTown
    Participant

MRipley said:

They are also likely talking about cities with fully built out urban infrastructure along with the mass transit system. When I’ve been in Toronto, for instance, I’ve found it extremely easy to do errands, since the stores and shops that I needed were virtually adjacent to the stops, and I would walk right by them twice a day. Plus, lots of those shops were open early, so I could, say, drop off dry cleaning on my way out just as easily as picking it up on the way home.

As opposed to having to drive to a few different strip malls, or a large grocery store that is not directly on my way to/from the office.

I don’t think it’s propaganda, and agreed it doesn’t apply to current day Columbus, but it may just be assuming more than some people are familiar with.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MRipley said:
    Oh. Still don’t see…

Well of couse you don’t see it with that crazy outlandish example.

Can I provide a different one?

If I’m at work Downtown and I need to go to the grocery store for a non-urgent item and I have my car handy, I’m probably just as likely to drive home first and change clothes, eat dinner, watch tv, relax and go to Kroger later.

But if I’m busing it, I’m more likely going to walk over to CVS a block away after work, pick up that grocery item and take it home with me on the bus from there so that I don’t have to make another trip out on the bus later on.

It’s a fairly small day-to-day detail, but added up across multiple days, multiple trips and multiple people, it can add up.

Again, I’m just assuming that this is the type of thing meant by that original comment in the infographic. Perhaps I’m wrong and they’re talking about something else. Either way, I’m totally open to discussing further with you if you’re willing to talk about this like a rational adult.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DTown said:
    I don’t think it’s propaganda, and agreed it doesn’t apply to current day Columbus,

I think that’s key; given the current environment here it’s hard to see how it could work. Obviously some would like to change the environment here to support such a system ( greater density and all ) but I wonder what we’d lose from such changes.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bucki12 said:
    I am guessing they meant ‘tasks’ instead of ‘errands’ which might include reading, making business calls, checking email, etc – all of which are frowned upon when in control of a vehicle.

That’s probably more likely what is meant since it says “en route”.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    I wonder what we’d lose from such changes.

Our city’s collective inferiority complex?

DTown
    Participant

rus said:
    I think that’s key; given the current environment here it’s hard to see how it could work. Obviously some would like to change the environment here to support such a system ( greater density and all ) but I wonder what we’d lose from such changes.

Well, you cut out a bit of my point there, but, I don’t think that a modern, high functioning mass transit system requires maximum density to be viable, so I don’t think progress means we would have to lose that small town charm that people seem so fond of.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Walker said:
    Well of couse you don’t see it with that crazy outlandish example.

Can I provide a different one?

If I’m at work Downtown and I need to go to the grocery store for a non-urgent item and I have my car handy, I’m probably just as likely to drive home first and change clothes, eat dinner, watch tv, relax and go to Kroger later.

But if I’m busing it, I’m more likely going to walk over to CVS a block away after work, pick up that grocery item and take it home with me on the bus from there so that I don’t have to make another trip out on the bus later on.

It’s a fairly small day-to-day detail, but added up across multiple days, multiple trips and multiple people, it can add up.

Again, I’m just assuming that this is the type of thing meant by that original comment in the infographic. Perhaps I’m wrong and they’re talking about something else. Either way, I’m totally open to discussing further with you if you’re willing to talk about this like a rational adult.

I find it to be extremely true of my situation when riding the bus. I typically will combine all my shopping and errands into one stop then head home. I know the same is not always true when I drive my car.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DTown said:
    Well, you cut out a bit of my point there, but, I don’t think that a modern, high functioning mass transit system requires maximum density to be viable, so I don’t think progress means we would have to lose that small town charm that people seem so fond of.

I was focusing on that specifically.

That said, when I lived without a car it was common to try to combine trips although for some things it did take either an extra trip or settling for something else / doing without.

geoyui
    Participant

Quite a bit of discussion over one word in that giant infographic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: