Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Indianola Corridor Plan

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Indianola Corridor Plan

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This was adopted in 2003, but it seems like little work has progressed on it in the past nine years. Which is a shame, because there’s some nice stuff in here, mostly related to retail infill in strategic locations and street infrastructure work, including landscaped medians and multi-use paths.

Anyone taken a look at this plan? Thoughts?

http://development.columbus.gov/planning/content.aspx?id=24056

DJ DocMedPot
    DJ DocMedPot
    Participant

Interesting plan. My first thoughts come to the parking/transportation part of this plan. With added street retailers comes the greater demand on both these issues. I see the mention of future light rail stations mentioned and that makes me think this plan is the proverbial “Mule before the carrot”. Implementing a light rail or similar transportation system would be first and foremost then building the neighborhood around it would seem a better long term solution.

I am glad to see that history of this neighborhood is being considered. As someone that saw the slash/burn/destroy results of late 60’s, early 70’s urban renewal seeing this plan gives me hope it won’t be turned into another faceless part of Cbus.

FoodFort
    Participant

Indianola offers great opportunities for a Food Truck Pod and a brick and mortar restaurant cooridor however the stock of existing / available buildings are cost prohibitive for doing most restaurant concepts. There is a lot of industrial warehouse space currently in use in the area – if some of that could be opened up for new builds or repurposed into a North Market style are of shared businesses – that would be interesting. I love the look of the medians in the street but due to the volume of traffice on Indianola (it is 23 – which means semis and such passing through) it is neither practical or pragmatic.

I attended most of the light rail meetings for that corridor circa 1998 – 2002 – that train has left the station and the opportunity lost.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

DocMedPot said:
    I see the mention of future light rail stations mentioned and that makes me think this plan is the proverbial “Mule before the carrot”. Implementing a light rail or similar transportation system would be first and foremost then building the neighborhood around it would seem a better long term solution.

In all fairness, there was a lot of serious discussion about a feasible light rail system in the early 2000s, when this plan was developed. I’m willing to bet that the inclusion of light rail station guidelines in this plan was in anticipation of that arriving through that work that was going on then. Better to have guidelines laid out in advance.

DocMedPot said:
    Interesting plan. My first thoughts come to the parking/transportation part of this plan. With added street retailers comes the greater demand on both these issues.

True, but much of this area has plenty of room to accomodate. To me it looks like these plans provide parking accommodations, but also want to make sure they’re properly placed to the side or behind the businesses, rather than in front of the businesses.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FoodFort said:
    I love the look of the medians in the street but due to the volume of traffice on Indianola (it is 23 – which means semis and such passing through) it is neither practical or pragmatic.

In the Studio 35 concept art, the median looks to only be 100 feet long, and replacing a portion of a turn lane and not a travel lane. I didn’t read through every detail, but I would imagine that medians could be strategically placed where traffic flow would not be disrupted too much.

I would think that traffic calming elements would slow traffic through some of the wider stretches and improve the area both for residents and businesses. Anyone travelling on Indianola for long stretches and looking to go fast should use 71 instead.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

The original doc has disappeared from the columbus.gov website, but you can still find it at https://web.archive.org/web/20061010090528/http://assets.columbus.gov/development/planning/IndianolaCorrPlana.pdf

Oh, and just to help other folks who might be searching for it — it’s also known as the Indianola Avenue Corridor Plan (and it was superseded by the Clintonville Neighborhood Plan).

pspock
    Participant

From page 8, one of the key goals:

“A 4,000 square foot video store”

Awesome! Can’t wait.

substance
    Participant

Looks like something is going to change after the pool is closed. Local blogs say that the owners are planning condos
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/clintonville-icon-closes

Achekov
    Participant

Looks like something is going to change after the pool is closed. Local blogs say that the owners are planning condos

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/clintonville-icon-closes

That will be a truly strange juxtaposition. Virtually the entire east side of Indianola from N. Broadway to Morse is commercial/industrial. This is a big departure from that.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Local blogs say that the owners are planning condos

Which local blogs are saying this?

Eugene_C
    Participant

Interesting plan. My first thoughts come to the parking/transportation part of this plan. With added street retailers comes the greater demand on both these issues. I see the mention of future light rail stations mentioned and that makes me think this plan is the proverbial “Mule before the carrot”. Implementing a light rail or similar transportation system would be first and foremost then building the neighborhood around it would seem a better long term solution.

True. The older part of the neighborhood to the south was built the way it was because there was electric streetcar service to the area. It fell apart in the middle of the last century because that transit was no longer there. Trying to make it “look historical” without the historical transit that was there, and make it successful, is a tricky business.

Eugene_C
    Participant

…Anyone travelling on Indianola for long stretches and looking to go fast should use 71 instead.

Except when 71 has a couple of accidents and everyone spills over on to 23. Which is a couple of times per month.

substance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>substance wrote:</div>
    Local blogs say that the owners are planning condos

Which local blogs are saying this?

Sorry, but I don’t exactly recall. Actually I don’t think it was a blog, but on the Clintonville FB page. The memory is a bit foggy but I think there was a link to a Booster article.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE