Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Indianapolis VS Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Indianapolis VS Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

arenn
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>

arenn wrote >>
    When it comes to ideas to strengthen Columbus’ competitive distinctiveness, I might suggest the city hire me to develop some with them. I’m confident I could work with them to do so. (A new city flag would actually be low on the list).

agenda revealed. internet jokes however…still under wraps.

I’m just saying that I sure as heck am not going to go off and do a big research project on this just so I can post the results here, but I’m very confident there’s a lot Columbus can do. And it takes place against a backdrop of a city that is already fairly successful and strong.

But I’ll give you one idea off the top of my head: go hire Greg Meckstroth. Think about it. Here’s a guy who is one year out of U of Cincinnati urban design grad school (undergrad at OSU). He lives in Indy because that’s where he found a job, not because it was his favorite place (that’s a telling sign on Indy right there – they are even reeling in people who don’t want to live there). So he’s probably not that expensive to hire, unlike say a major corporate executive. He’s got skills you can use. He likes Columbus (Cincy better, but he does like Cbus), he’s got a growing blog platform that could promote the city, he’s passionate about this stuff. Also, as I’ve come to find out, starting a blog is a fundamentally entrepreneurial act. You need people like that in your town, so why not go try to poach him?

I’m continually befuddled that despite the enormous sums spent on talent initiatives, almost nobody seems to ever try recruiting anyone. It’s like there’s a belief talent is some ethereal substance that wafts in on the winds. But it exists in discrete human beings. Just like with a business or university recruiting talent, cities need to recruit talent too – but they don’t. They may have some marketing – generally not very good marketing – but not the sales side of the business.

Whenever I travel to a city, I always am looking to see if someone will try to sell me on their city as a place I might want to live myself. I don’t expect a job offer or anything, but will people make the pitch on why I should think about their city or why I might enjoy it if I did live there. Despite meeting many C-level executives at civic development organizations around the Midwest, no one has ever made that pitch. All they want is for me to write something nice about them.

There’s a huge gap in the market Columbus could fill right there: start going out and actually recruiting real, honest to goodness, living and breathing, human beings to live there – starting with Greg Meckstroth.

drew
    Participant

arenn wrote >>
    I’m continually befuddled that despite the enormous sums spent on talent initiatives, almost nobody seems to ever try recruiting anyone. It’s like there’s a belief talent is some ethereal substance that wafts in on the winds. But it exists in discrete human beings. Just like with a business or university recruiting talent, cities need to recruit talent too – but they don’t. They may have some marketing – generally not very good marketing – but not the sales side of the business.

Very interesting point.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

I can also do without the self deprecation some Columbus residents have regarding their city. I love my city, if you don’t like cbus you should find a place that makes you happy.

arenn
    Participant

Hey, since I noticed some incoming blog hits from Google searches on “Greg Meckstroth” (including, I’m pleased to say, at least one from the city of Columbus government), I should point out he’s the guy who wrote the original post comparing Columbus and Indy that started this thread. That’s why I mentioned him. He writes a great urbanism blog called “urbanOut” you should check out:

http://urban-out.com/

Columbusite

outpostcollective wrote >>
    I remember seeing the “best of” restaurants in NUVO, Indy’s arts weekly. Those are always revealing as per the depth and breadth of restaurants in a city. I recall seeing things like Benihana winning “best Japanese”, PF Changs winning “best Chinese”, CheeseCake Factory winning “best desserts”…you get the drift. Of course, some of those results occur here too, but the Indy best-ofs read like a roll call of national chains.

That’s why I’ll look at what’s popular on Yelp vs. a “best of” by a local weekly paper which gets skewed results. Those pretty much never put a city in a good light. The #1 Mexican restuarant on Yelp, for example, is a small tamale restaurant (do we even have a tamale truck?) in the west-side hispanic neighborhood along W Washington. Granted, there are only a couple of reviews there, but in the top 5 of the options you mentioned only PF Chang’s made the top 5 at #4.

A big difference seems to be that locals here are vocal in promoting what our neighborhoods have to offer. If it wasn’t for local boosters like Taco Trucks Columbus, would-be unknown gems like the Hispanic eateries which are mostly in the form of taco trucks would have gone under the radar since neither the Chamber of Commerce or Experience Columbus promotes these establishments since they’re not in a gentrified, well-polished part of the city. Finding a site on Indy’s food scene in the largely Hispanic west side centered around W Washington yields little info. Unlike our Hispanic west side which is centered around the western edge of the Hilltop near the I-270 outerbelt, Indy’s is right next to Downtown: think W Broad in Franklinton, but with numerous Hispanic businesses. You’d think that location would work in their favor, but I suppose not if no one is really talking about it.

Oh, and for any Indy locals here let me know if there’s any decent neighborhood guides to Indy aside from NUVO’s. I doubt any are as good as my Columbus neighborhood guide[/url], but something with places worth visiting in each one would be nice.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: