Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Indianapolis Rail Transit News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Indianapolis Rail Transit News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New Transit Plan for Indianapolis Emphasizes Frequency Over Splash

Yonah Freemark

November 9th, 2010

Living in a big, dense, old city, it’s easy enough to criticize the decisions of policy makers in sprawling regions like Indianapolis, where a “generous” budget for investments in public transportation means spending one fourth of the amount to be dedicated to roads. But for a place where only 2% of people commute by transit, a long-term plan that does just that can be downright revolutionary. Outcomes — manifested in changing travel behavior and the densification of inner-city areas — depend on how it’s implemented.

READ MORE: http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2010/11/09/new-transit-plan-for-indianapolis-emphasizes-frequency-over-splash/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tuesday, November 9, 2010
    How Indianapolis Could Raise the Bar for Midwest Transit Investment
    by Angie Schmitt on November 9, 2010

Following the anti-rail theatrics of state leadership in Ohio and Wisconsin, it’s tempting to write off the entire Midwest as a desolate highwayscape full of pitchfork waving gas-guzzlers.

Even when there are setbacks, however, the broader reality is that all over the country — even in the Midwest — communities are slowly marching toward more sustainable transportation systems.

READ MORE: http://streetsblog.net/2010/11/09/how-indianapolis-could-raise-the-bar-for-midwest-transit-investment/

howatzer
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010
    How Indianapolis Could Raise the Bar for Midwest Transit Investment
    by Angie Schmitt on November 9, 2010
    Following the anti-rail theatrics of state leadership in Ohio and Wisconsin, it’s tempting to write off the entire Midwest as a desolate highwayscape full of pitchfork waving gas-guzzlers.
    Even when there are setbacks, however, the broader reality is that all over the country — even in the Midwest — communities are slowly marching toward more sustainable transportation systems.
    READ MORE: http://streetsblog.net/2010/11/09/how-indianapolis-could-raise-the-bar-for-midwest-transit-investment/

Apples to oranges. Indi’s efforts are for improved local bus/light rail focused on commuters.

Phrases like “pitchfork waving gas-guzzlers” point to why some might have the emotional reaction to regional rail discussed in the Ohio rail thread.

Bear
    Participant

howatzer wrote >>
    Phrases like “pitchfork waving gas-guzzlers” point to why some might have the emotional reaction to regional rail discussed in the Ohio rail thread.

Perhaps the emotional reaction to regional rail evinced by people like those in the Ohio rail thread has prompted phrases like “pitchfork waving gas-guzzlers”….

As much as I dislike the Democrats the decision by Kasich to ditch HSR (High Speed Rail)in Ohio vindicates the idea that the Republicans have no ideas, big ideas or any new ideas other than the nostrum of cutting spending and taxes. BTW these things are good. For context: When the Lord Reagan was in office (it was called trickle down economics) and (supply economics) both failed miserably – now it is about giving milllionaires and billionaires tax breaks rather than investing in changing the paradigm. HSR would provide jobs for 25,000 Ohios – while let the poort of the state eat their “principles” $400MM is on the table and will go NY or CA. Ohio is perhaps more misinformed, backward and behind than we think and is becoming more isolated than Easter Island IMHO :-)

dubdave00
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

howatzer wrote >>

Perhaps the emotional reaction to regional rail evinced by people like those in the Ohio rail thread has prompted phrases like “pitchfork waving gas-guzzlers”….

Perhaps citizens on both sides should stop resorting to childish name calling and ignore the few that do.

It’s truly sad that we let the “pitchfork waving gas guzzlers” and the “euro-loving but I won’t ride a bus” minorities define the identities and beliefs of both sides of the debate.

One of the things that’s great about CU is that usually, the debate is over the issues (not the people behind them). Let’s keep it that way. Holier-Than-Thou self-validating conversation enders contribute little, encourage apathy, and likely hurt both sides in the long term.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Well said, Dave.

So anyway, going back to that original link and article, it sounds like a pretty solid plan going on in Indy. I’m not too familiar with their existing bus system, so I don’t know exactly how much of an improvement will be made overall, but I like the fact that they’re willing to put forth a fairly comprehensive multi-modal “master plan” that explains how each part of the system works together.

I think we could take a lesson from that in Columbus. We rarely hear how our bikeways plan works with our roadways plan or how a proposed rail place would work with our bus system.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Indy’s bus system is very bad, definitely less coverage and frequency than COTA.

I’d also like to see Columbus come up with a practical plan like this. I think this was led by Indy’s business community, but it seems like something an MPO like MORPC should be doing.

News
    Participant

After Punting on Transit, Indiana Senate Mulls New Highway to Nowhere
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013
    by Angie Schmitt

Does metro Indianapolis need a $1.5 billion second outerbelt? Not if you think highways-to-nowhere are a bad way to spend money. But that didn’t stop a group of state lawmakers from trotting out the idea recently.

The long-dormant “Indiana Commerce Connector” is a proposed $1.5 billion semi-circle around undeveloped farmland that was rejected by state officials in 2006.

READ MORE: http://streetsblog.net/2013/04/09/after-punting-on-transit-indiana-senate-mulls-new-highway-to-nowhere/

News
    Participant

A Comprehensive Transportation Proposal for Central Indiana
    Posted by Curt Ailes in Transit on Jun 21st, 2013

Envision vast parkways where automobile traffic flows smoothly. Where congestion is a thing of the past and commuters can get to work with minimal interruptions from secondary streets. Imagine that you will never be mired in a traffic jam the likes of which north-siders who commute downtown currently experience on a daily basis.

READ MORE: http://www.urbanindy.com/2013/06/21/a-comprehensive-transportation-proposal-for-central-indiana/

jbcmh81
    Participant

So basically, Indy is focusing almost exclusively on expanding it’s road system with token BRT? God I hope Columbus gets serious about mass transit.

arenn
    Participant

The “Comprehensive Transportation Proposal for Central Indiana” proposal above is just a press release from one legislator. I also think the outer beltway (for which I actually support right of way preservation) was a trial balloon.

The transit proposal got shunted to a summer study committee (where proposals generally go to die) after passing the House but getting killed by the Senate. Keep in mind that this is simply authorizing legislation for a local referendum, and does not involve directly spending money. The state is denying locals the democratic right to decide how to spend their own money.

I’m hardly optimistic about this. Gov. Pence seems to be a highly ethical and sincere guy, but is a bit of a tea party style purist policy-wise. I suspect that at a minimum the rail component will be stripped. That would probably be a good idea from a cost efficiency standpoint, but politically likely means affluent Hamilton County would not sign up for it.

News
    Participant

Indy Connect Plan Looks to Bring More Transit Options to Indianapolis
    Posted August 28, 2013

Indianapolis, Indiana is shaping up to be one of the greatest “little” cities in America. With a population of over 800,000 people, many argue that the only thing holding Indianapolis back from becoming one of the best is its lack of a mass transit system. But that’s not to say that transportation hasn’t been on the city’s mind. For many years now studies have been conducted to determine what a transit expansion plan would look like in Indy and how it would affect the city.

READ MORE: http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/global-site-plans-grid/171941/indy-connect-plan-looks-bring-more-transit-options-indianapolis

tlb919
    tlb919
    Participant

So…. It appears that Indiana is banning Light Rail from their transit future. Transit development just took a nice turn back to 1950.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2014/01/28/indy-mass-transit-bill-gets-green-light-from-commtitee/4959679/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: