Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

No Reservations Viewing, Reaction & Columbus Branding

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV No Reservations Viewing, Reaction & Columbus Branding

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 424 total)
  • Author

DavidF
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    As much as I hate to resurrect this thread, after digesting this for awhile I just have to say one thing….
    I was so excited about Bourdain coming here. I know that Chef Kimura and Gary from Clever Crow put a ton of work into the day. Bourdain had been flying for like 10 straight hours before walking right into the restaurant, and Ruhlman drove right here from Cleveland. Bourdain looked like he could fall asleep on his feet; I felt sorry for him.
    I know the show wasn’t the ideal, but the city’s reaction has been a huge embarrassment. I thought it was so awesome to be able to help connect Bourdain with my favorite restaurant in Columbus and pretty much feel now that you who have been wanking and whining about it are ungrateful jerks. Yes, that includes you government entities with enormous – and enormously worthless – budgets.
    As someone who has voluntarily written a website for the city of Columbus for almost 6 years (usually spending more time on it than at my paying job) it has totally taken the wind out of my sails. For years, I watched episodes of No Reservations and thought “omg, wouldn’t it be awesome if I could be a fixer for him? but he would never come to Columbus.”
    Shame on you and grow up. We’re a farming community. it’s awesome. don’t take yourselves so seriously because in the end you just end up sounding – and looking – worse.
    You have also shit on Gary and Chef Kimura’s excitement at being feature nationally.
    We get national coverage as a city with a growing food scene and you shit all over that. Every awesome city has to start somewhere. Portland and Seattle and San Francisco didn’t just spring up as amazing food cities overnight.
    I know all of you Monday Morning quarterbacks could have done such an amazing job of showing Bourdain and Ruhlman our city in the 3 hours they had to spend here, etc etc. So good luck! Have fun now that you’ve practically BEGGED the Travel Channel to NEVER EVER COME BACK.

So basically, be good little hicks, shut up and thank god almighty for whatever little crumbs are rolled our way? No thanks. I appreciate the work you do, but I don’t need back handed compliments from “celebrities” to validate how I feel about the food scene here. I’m happy Kihachi and Clever Crow were portrayed, but I’m not gonna pretend I’m happy with the way the city as a whole was portrayed. I think they were well within their rights to shoot what and how they want. I’m also within my rights to take issue with it.

And I didn’t see anyone shitting over Gary and chef Kimura. Sheesh, you wanna talk to me about growing up?

Nice to know I have enough power to prevent a television network from entering my city though.

Next step, world domination!
    Bwahahahahaha!

lisathewaitress
    Participant

i should have been more clear – i’m not referring simply to the conversation here on CU, but also to emails which were circulated encouraging letter-writing campaigns, and the meetings held with the Columbus Foundation, Experience, Columbus, etc, which were referenced a few pages back.

the negativity and whining tempered the excitement of being featured; i’m not saying people personally dissed the chefs featured.

and, as usual, i should have just listened to mr waitress when he said let it go! sorry babe.

DavidF
    Participant

Ahh. That makes more sense to me. Sorry, I’m a little sensitive today myself. Had an amazing lunch at Skillet. Stopped for yummies at Pistachia Vera and finished off the evening with an outstanding meal at Alana’s. I feel justifiably proud of what we have to offer here and I don’t believe good food is anamoly here. It’s all around us.

Sorry if I jumped on with both feet. I like your blog a lot and it’s one of the resources I tend to give people who are new to the area and want to discover all the great things we have to offer.

MikeReed
    Participant

Toronto is awesome.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

@davidf – that response was super cool of you. thanks man.

DavidF
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    @davidf – that response was super cool of you. thanks man.

Not a problem. I try to limit my asshattery to one or two posts a day. ;)

drew
    Participant

Gotta give Michael Ruhlman credit – he came down to Columbus, and he rectified a lot of wrongs:

http://ruhlman.com/2010/11/columbus-ohio-food.html

Take a look, it’s a thing of beauty.

JonMyers
    Participant

drew wrote >>
    Gotta give Michael Ruhlman credit – he came down to Columbus, and he rectified a lot of wrongs:

He did a great job rectifying the situation.

chaptal
    Participant

That’s how you make amends.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sounds like managed to hit a lot of great spots in a very short amount of time. Props to his Columbus food ambassadors. ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

drew wrote >>

His experience must have been a thing of beauty. Oh, the consequences for putting one’s foot in one’s mouth…

KSquared

Walker wrote >>
    Sounds like managed to hit a lot of great spots in a very short amount of time. Props to his Columbus food ambassadors. ;)

+1
    Sounds like some people who knew their stuff pointed him in all the right directions.

Talcott

0Angle wrote >> His experience must have been a thing of beauty. Oh, the consequences for putting one’s foot in one’s mouth…

The consequence for putting one’s foot in one’s mouth is getting to eat lots of great Columbus food? I should remember to do that more often ;-)

Seriously though, that was a great write-up, and thank you to all of his tour guides!

Talcott

0Angle wrote >> His experience must have been a thing of beauty. Oh, the consequences for putting one’s foot in one’s mouth…

The consequence for putting one’s foot in one’s mouth is getting to eat lots of great Columbus food? I should remember to do that more often ;-)

Seriously though, that was a great write-up, and thank you to all of his tour guides!

Talcott

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 424 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE