Our City Online

Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

No Reservations Viewing, Reaction & Columbus Branding

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV No Reservations Viewing, Reaction & Columbus Branding

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 424 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

lisathewaitress wrote >>

Andrew Hall wrote >>

JonMyers
    Columbus “leaders” blew them off because they were focused on the Hilton and raising parking rates so Columbus residents can subsidize the Hilton hotel. That 21C hotel should be in Columbus, but Columbus leaders like the movers and shakers who made the “We’re #1 college president in the country video” fucked it up.

In the same vein, I heard a very interesting tale about how those “leaders,” including the mayor, totally blew off and outright rejected IKEA for Downtown.
    A.

now it’s time for pitchforks.

I heard that our city leaders blew off the relocation efforts of a major pitchfork manufacturer from Kansas, so nix that idea too.

walker is funny!!!
    how about torches? we can make those ourselves, right? Columbus, home of the DIY, indie crazed mob of hipster ilk.

Hipster torches?

Hmmm… home brewed ethanol made from local organic corn, soaked in fair trade organic cotton wrapped around hand crafted steel rods reclaimed from building debris?

dru
    Participant

perhaps we should just all wear these around town:

i think it would create an image real fast.

jackoh
    Participant

dru wrote >>

Do they make those with the middle finger instead of the index finger extended?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

jackoh wrote >>

dru wrote >>

Do they make those with the middle finger instead of the index finger extended?

That’s the Detroit model.

rus
    rus
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

That’s the Detroit model.

Who gets the big foam shocker then?

http://www.bustedtees.com/bigfoamshocker

Cookie

I went to Circus for some Clever Crow last Saturday, and they’ve gotten a huge bump in business since the show. I couldn’t be happier for Gary. Well, maybe if he hadn’t run out of the brie and grape special before I got there.

CandyGriffin
    Participant

We went Friday. I had the brie, grape & rosemary – delicious! Can’t wait to go back.

Cookie

CandyGriffin wrote >>
    We went Friday. I had the brie, grape & rosemary – delicious! Can’t wait to go back.

I blame you!

CandyGriffin
    Participant

Teehee!

meltsintowonder
    Participant

Best pizza I’ve had in Columbus in 10 years of living here. Girlfriend said Hounddog’s was still her #1 so we went Saturday. The Smokin’ Joe style was pretty freaking good but I really liked the style and ingredients of Clever Crow. Recommend a half and half so you can try two different topping arrangements.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

meltsintowonder wrote >>
    Best pizza I’ve had in Columbus in 10 years of living here. Girlfriend said Hounddog’s was still her #1 so we went Saturday. The Smokin’ Joe style was pretty freaking good but I really liked the style and ingredients of Clever Crow. Recommend a half and half so you can try two different topping arrangements.

It’s really hard to compare Hounddog’s and Circus – when I was on All Sides on WOSU a few weeks ago, the topic of pizza came up. I think Clever Crow should be referred to more as “dinner pie.” Hounddog’s is identifiable as pizza, while Crow (although awesome, and delicious) isn’t traditional enough to be put squarely in the pizza category (at least in my humble opinion).

all of that being said, I think Gary is awesome and i love what he’s doing. If I had a million dollars for him to open up a pickle and charcuterie store, I would sign it over in a heartbeat.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

I understand what you mean, but I’d put in the Chicago-style category if I had to put it somewhere. Definitely hard to compare Clever Crow to Hounddog’s or any other places because of the style as you mentioned. But overall, I really like Gary’s philosophy.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

As much as I hate to resurrect this thread, after digesting this for awhile I just have to say one thing….

I was so excited about Bourdain coming here. I know that Chef Kimura and Gary from Clever Crow put a ton of work into the day. Bourdain had been flying for like 10 straight hours before walking right into the restaurant, and Ruhlman drove right here from Cleveland. Bourdain looked like he could fall asleep on his feet; I felt sorry for him.

I know the show wasn’t the ideal, but the city’s reaction has been a huge embarrassment. I thought it was so awesome to be able to help connect Bourdain with my favorite restaurant in Columbus and pretty much feel now that you who have been wanking and whining about it are ungrateful jerks. Yes, that includes you government entities with enormous – and enormously worthless – budgets.

As someone who has voluntarily written a website for the city of Columbus for almost 6 years (usually spending more time on it than at my paying job) it has totally taken the wind out of my sails. For years, I watched episodes of No Reservations and thought “omg, wouldn’t it be awesome if I could be a fixer for him? but he would never come to Columbus.”

Shame on you and grow up. We’re a farming community. it’s awesome. don’t take yourselves so seriously because in the end you just end up sounding – and looking – worse.

You have also shit on Gary and Chef Kimura’s excitement at being feature nationally.

We get national coverage as a city with a growing food scene and you shit all over that. Every awesome city has to start somewhere. Portland and Seattle and San Francisco didn’t just spring up as amazing food cities overnight.

I know all of you Monday Morning quarterbacks could have done such an amazing job of showing Bourdain and Ruhlman our city in the 3 hours they had to spend here, etc etc. So good luck! Have fun now that you’ve practically BEGGED the Travel Channel to NEVER EVER COME BACK.

chaptal
    Participant

Speaking for myself here. My critiques of the program were not with the dining establishments chosen, or the way they were presented. Nor did I have a problem with Bourdain. Ruhlman should have had a little knowledge that there was a world class Japanese restaurant in the capital city of the state he lives in.

drew
    Participant

chaptal wrote >>
    Speaking for myself here. My critiques of the program were not with the dining establishments chosen, or the way they were presented. Nor did I have a problem with Bourdain. Ruhlman should have had a little knowledge that there was a world class Japanese restaurant in the capital city of the state he lives in.

Totally agree.

And, if a show that is so unapologetically bold and opinionated really does get worked up enough to make filming decisions based upon a bit negative online chatter, then I’ll have to go with Lisa’s earlier sentiment:

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    huh.
    you know what?
    fuck ’em. who cares?

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 424 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE