Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Impero Coffee

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Impero Coffee

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

roy
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >> I looked over their site and I didn’t really see whole lot of information about them or where they learned their craft. Nor do I see much about their current beans.

I emailed friendly and politely asking about their beans/roasting, using the contact page from their website. Never heard back.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Stopped in today.. the barista seemed like he knew his stuff and pulled me a good shot, but their espresso blend wasn’t quite my thing. I could see stopping in here again though.. especially thanks to the Lavash hookup.

Thory
    Participant

@roy E-mails are easy for most people to miss or just put off until later (and probably forget). They don’t demand an instant response like a phone call or in-person question. I was there today and someone asked the barista about their roasters and he answered. They do roast them down at Crema in Grove City. He wouldn’t give many more specifics though – said they were secret.

Andrew Hall

Thory wrote They do roast them down at Crema in Grove City. He wouldn’t give many more specifics though – said they were secret.

Fucking idiots.

Serious roasters and baristas, like great chefs, are always glad to share. It is a sign of a frail ego and limited skills to claim secrets. While I had some good vibes about these cats, that just wrecked it.

A.

El Stonio

I would not be caught dead in a place called “Cuppy’s”. Make a note of it.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

Thory wrote They do roast them down at Crema in Grove City. He wouldn’t give many more specifics though – said they were secret.

Fucking idiots.
    Serious roasters and baristas, like great chefs, are always glad to share. It is a sign of a frail ego and limited skills to claim secrets. While I had some good vibes about these cats, that just wrecked it.

Yeah, I asked about the blend and I got the same answer.. I’m not as upset about it as Andrew, but I drew pretty much the same conclusion. To me, it’s disappointing more than anything.

This is why I make the trek to go to Brioso or Luck Bros, because Jeff and Andy are really friendly and want to tell you about their coffees. Mostly because they’re really good.

roy
    Participant

Thory wrote >>

@roy
    E-mails are easy for most people to miss or just put off until later (and probably forget). They don’t demand an instant response like a phone call or in-person question. I was there today and someone asked the barista about their roasters and he answered. They do roast them down at Crema in Grove City. He wouldn’t give many more specifics though – said they were secret.

“Probably forget”? “Grove City roasting secrets”?

I’m not looking for a new coffee shop, I was just trying to be welcoming & supportive of the new places on High Street, rent is expensive.

I’ll stick with Brioso/Stauf’s.

Bear
    Participant

That is odd; never met a coffee guy who wouldn’t talk about coffee.

FWIW I didn’t get the same vibe. I asked about degree of roast, he said right up to full city… had a few exchanges about the coffee in which I didn’t get any stonewalling at all. Maybe different people work there? That said, when I mentioned something about a lack of typical Ethiopian varietal notes in my Yirg he said that there were chocolate notes there (true) and that Yirgs often don’t have the floral/citrus notes of, say, a Sidamo (not my experience, but willing to explore more). Just a little odd.

Will try again… and will definitely ask more questions.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

Does anyone know what they charge for a regular cup of the house coffee?

Core_Models

heh…I wonder if the person who claimed the “secret roasting” information just didn’t know the answer, and Bear got someone who did?

Columbusite

Well, I had a good experience with the coffee. The Lavash sandwiches are great and they even carry their Lebanese and American desserts. Couldn’t resist the chocolate cupcake with a thick layer of chocolate butter cream frosting. Too much for one man to handle.

Tigertree

They are making a big mistake being closed on Sundays. I am still astonished how many people down here choose Sunday to close.

Thory
    Participant

@Core I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re dead on. Either way it doesn’t seem like a big deal.

@Roy All I’m saying is that it’s easy for e-mails to slip through the cracks. Phone calls and asking in person not so much, though you may get a “it’s a secret” response and feel the need to swear at the guy.

They’ve got good coffee, decent hours, and they’re close. I’m glad they’re here.
    Edit: and their biggest cup of coffee is about $2

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Thory wrote >>
    you may get a “it’s a secret” response and feel the need to swear at the guy.

heh, my response was to laugh at him.

Thory
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>
    heh, my response was to laugh at him.

That seems appropriate. It is cute to have a secret recipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: