Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

IHOP Returns to Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining IHOP Returns to Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

As part of the discussion on diners a while back, I remember people mentioning a desire for an IHOP in town. I don’t know if anyone caught it, but in The Dispatch this morning there was an article about the Rise & Dine chain that also had this bit of info:

IHOP also has announced plans to open 17 restaurants in the Columbus and Dayton areas in the coming years.

Full Article

So there’s that bit of news that I’m sure will make someone (whoever it was wishing for the IHOP I imagine) happy.

JoshOSU75
    Participant

Bob Evans is rolling in his grave.

enzo
    Participant

:D :D Hip hip Hooooooray!!!!!! :D :D

We always go to the one near Hyde Park in Cincinnati when I visit friends.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went to an IHOP last week in California. It was OK, kinda expensive for breakfast. Omelets were about 10-12 dollars.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Looks like the pricing is regional or per restaurant, but even so…the one in E. Lansing has the omelettes at 8-9 bucks, which is still pretty damn steep for a freaking IHOP, IMO.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s the announcement from nearly a year and a half ago:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4769

Sure is taking a long time… :?

Tigertree

Speaking of the Dispatch. Did anyone else notice the Istockphoto.com watermark on the puzzle picture on (I believe it was) the front page?!

Leelee

YES! YES! YES!

Darkflash

Sweet, ive been waiting for IHOP in Columbus. I am so glad we now hav a Sonics. But, when in the hell are we getting our Jack in the Box? I mean realy, I need my egg rolls and bacon ultimate cheeseburger.

Andrew Hall

Does anyone else see the irony of all this LOVE for massive eatery chains all the while we are promoting something … er independant, maybe … about Columbus?

I guess it will be a while before the Columbus : Indie Food Capital of the World gets some traction.

A.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote Does anyone else see the irony of all this LOVE for massive eatery chains all the while we are promoting something … er independant, maybe … about Columbus?

I guess it will be a while before the Columbus : Indie Food Capital of the World gets some traction.

A.

You know what’s funny though, it’s only love for the chains for the cheap food. If I’m paying more than 10.00 for food, I’ll be at one of the many independent owned spots in town, but I do so love my heart attack express fast food chains as well ;)

Andrew Hall

Coremodels wrote You know what’s funny though, it’s only love for the chains for the cheap food. If I’m paying more than 10.00 for food, I’ll be at one of the many independent owned spots in town, but I do so love my heart attack express fast food chains as well ;)

There is a kernel of logic there. At that price point, non-chains are mostly what I call stealth-chains in that their food is no different from a chain since it falls off the Sysco truck.

You can make a local economic argument for going to the local joints, but not a food quality one.

A.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Andrew Hall wrote Does anyone else see the irony of all this LOVE for massive eatery chains all the while we are promoting something … er independant, maybe … about Columbus?

I think a lot of people crave chains that we don’t have, and I don’t really see anything wrong with that. Even though they’re asking for chains, they’re asking for variety.

Do people want to see an IHOP on every corner a la Starbucks or Subway? I doubt it. Do people want an IHOP in the Short North? I doubt that too.

I think there’s enough room in this city for the chains and the uniqe shops. Plop an IHOP up on Sawmill Road or Rome-Hilliard (just went out there over the weekend and JESUS does that street scare me) and make people drive to get their fix.

myliftkk
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote

Coremodels wrote You know what’s funny though, it’s only love for the chains for the cheap food. If I’m paying more than 10.00 for food, I’ll be at one of the many independent owned spots in town, but I do so love my heart attack express fast food chains as well ;)

There is a kernel of logic there. At that price point, non-chains are mostly what I call stealth-chains in that their food is no different from a chain since it falls off the Sysco truck.

You can make a local economic argument for going to the local joints, but not a food quality one.

A.

Andrew, do you have some sort of prescient insight into things that fall of the Sysco truck? :wink:

I swear, I’m driving this morning to an appt. on Henderson Ave., and what the hell is lying in the left lane. A f&%*ing Sysco box… :shock:

Some place is going to be running a bit short today. :D

Bonnie Dodds
    Bonnie Dodds
    Participant

dammit. i’m already battling my weight… i hope they put it FAR FAR away from meee!!!

Just this weekend I saw a commercial for something called the “PANCAKE SURRENDER” and said to Caeleigh, “Thank GOD there are no IHOP’s near me!” I mean, they have freaking NY Cheesecake PANCAKES for chrissakes!!!

*goes into a diabetic coma just thinking about it*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: