Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dinin' Hall

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Dinin' Hall

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • Author

myliftkk
    Participant

Walker said:
    I’ve seen many instances over there of people referring to being deleted and/or censored for bad language. It looks as if you’re not allowed to say fuck, but you can be as racist as you please.

I like to think of the back-n-forth on CU as a form verbal sparring on the order of fencing, wheres the dispatch comments section resembles a southern ‘bama bar ruckus.

myliftkk
    Participant

Walker said:
    The people complaining the loudest have never eaten at a food truck in their lives. That’s the disconnect.

Nonsense, I’m pretty sure they’ve sampled a fair number of fried fair foods. ;)

saywhat2

Isn’t there a bit of irony in a series of food carts surrounding a vacant storefront?

I see how a “market-type” setting works in say Austin or Portland, but the Columbus idea seems odd?

Mr.Compton
    Mr.Compton
    Participant

I think we will see atleast a form of this idea sprout out to a few upstart businesses in 2012. Alteast… if I have anything to do with it!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

saywhat2 said:
    I see how a “market-type” setting works in say Austin or Portland, but the Columbus idea seems odd?

One building with multiple vendors, communal seating, indoor amenities, bathrooms, etc. It works well for the North Market. Why not food truck vendors?

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Anne said:
    How occupied is the city center parking garage? Maybe a section of that could be set aside to do this. Or, they could set up along 3rd street on the east side of the garage, and some of those bays could be opened up with chairs and tables. Right now, they are all vacant!

I think something like this would work great on Wall Street in RiverSouth. It’s already pedestrian friendly and is accessible by workers, residents of the Annex, and park goers looking for some cheap eats. It would also be awesome to see a non-profit a la FoodFort work on this as an incubator. There has been some previous study of this area.

Study on Wall St.
    https://www.columbusunderground.com/wall-street-inspirations-to-spark-new-retail-ideas

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    One building with multiple vendors, communal seating, indoor amenities, bathrooms, etc. It works well for the North Market. Why not food truck vendors?

Which sounds like a food court… less like food trucks.

cc

I like the idea that they are more mobile. I hope they can cut through the bureacracy (SNBA) and fear (B&M’s) and be part of the SN and other high impact areas. I am not sure cloistering them is the way to go.

Eliza Ho
    Participant

The exhibit just opens today and the Dispatch articles has picked an interesting angle to focus on Dinin’ Hall—how it can help revitalize struggling neighborhoods. While I believe Dinin’ Hall can benefit these neighborhoods, I want to emphasis that Dinin’ Hall would work best for communities that have no easy access to food and restaurants. Dinin’ Hall can serve locals as well as draw people to the neighborhoods. Along the river can make good locations and there should be many options out there. Dinin’ Hall is a concept that is adaptable to many neighborhoods.

Mr.Compton said:
    I think we will see atleast a form of this idea sprout out to a few upstart businesses in 2012. Alteast… if I have anything to do with it!

I agree. Some forms of the idea will happen this year. Dinin’ Hall can be one. It aspires to be a street food hub where people can try out food from different vendors in an urban, communal dining setting. Yes, I also agree that it can be an incubator, a testing ground for new menus. Dinin’ Hall can be a great asset to the community, a happening space where people gather and socialize because of street food.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Which sounds like a food court… less like food trucks.

Yeah, but the mobility factor I think is what make it unique and interesting. A food court for the most part is locked in with the tenants who are there. A food truck concept like Dinin’ Hall could rotate vendors every day of the week, and swap them out from month to month or season to season. No two trips are likely to be the same.

Similarly, that allows the food trucks the freedom to have other regular locations without being 100% committed to one spot. Keeps their business model diverse.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    Yeah, but the mobility factor I think is what make it unique and interesting. A food court for the most part is locked in with the tenants who are there. A food truck concept like Dinin’ Hall could rotate vendors every day of the week, and swap them out from month to month or season to season. No two trips are likely to be the same.

Similarly, that allows the food trucks the freedom to have other regular locations without being 100% committed to one spot. Keeps their business model diverse.

Actually not a bad point.

Eliza Ho
    Participant

You’re right on, Walker. We’ve talked to many food truck and cart folks about this concept, all of them like the rotating idea, which gives them freedom to still be on the street and try out other locations.

I want to throw out a question though: Would you as customers like to buy directly from vendors? Or do you prefer to approach a centralized cash wrap to make order and buy drinks, just like a typical cafe?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Eliza Ho said:
    I want to throw out a question though: Would you as customers like to buy directly from vendors? Or do you prefer to approach a centralized cash wrap to make order and buy drinks, just like a typical cafe?

As a customer, I’d say one checkout process is probably the most optimal. It’s something that has been raised as a concern at The North Market (centralized checkout). From a logistics standpoint, it’s a total nightmare at the NM. Probably easier to do with fewer vendors and fewer items, but still could be an issue if there are vendors coming and going.

Honestly, if all vendors were required to use a service like Square for credit card transactions, I wouldn’t mind at all paying multiple times with a card. I rarely carry cash on me, but do try to make it a point to get cash in advance when buying from local businesses, especially with purchases under $10.

Wouldn’t hurt to have an ATM on site either. ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Eliza Ho said:

Wouldn’t mind dealing with each vendor individually.

Polis
    Participant

Small business agglomerations make my pants ill-fitting.

Maybe location could be found for both food trucks and other vendors, like retail, grocers and services. Essentially a Pearl Market but focused around food trucks.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS