Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dinin' Hall

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Dinin' Hall

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

From Eliza Ho:

The idea is one of the projects that will be featured in our upcoming exhibition Good Design in Hard Times at The OSU Urban Arts Space.

Dinin’ Hall is a concept cafe that will combine the best of street food and an urban, communal, and cool dining experience. It makes street food from trucks available on any given day, all year long, regardless of weather. Plus, Dinin’ Hall eliminates long waiting lines and no seating to create a new street food eating experience, building foodie communities. Dinin’ Hall, featuring different combination of food trucks and carts, anticipates Columbus first food truck hub, offering the best street food in the city.

MORE: http://www.facebook.com/ALTernativeColumbus

rus
    rus
    Participant

Some additional info…

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/01/10/meals-as-magnets.html

One of their ideas, called “Dinin’ Hall,” is like a food court, but with food trucks. Lai’s design envisions three trucks parked outside a building — for instance, a vacant storefront — that has been equipped with tables, chairs and the like. If the weather is nice, patrons can eat outside. If not, they can dine inside the building .

mrpoppinzs

I like this idea. I would also really like to have something like this downtown. Maybe some kind of portable structure that could be up on the Scioto Mile or Columbus Commons for the lunch crowds.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Could get a little silly, though.

“Oh wow, these food trucks are great! I hate being outside, though, and the lack of tables is a pain. If only there was some way to buy food inside.”

Twixlen
    Participant

I’d like a food cart food court, period…. if it had some kind of covered/weather friendly seating, it’s a bonus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Could get a little silly, though.

“Oh wow, these food trucks are great! I hate being outside, though, and the lack of tables is a pain. If only there was some way to buy food inside.”

Heh. Yeah, it’s borderline silly, but I’ve often avoided food trucks simply because it’s too much of a hassle with kids in tow. Standing & eating is easy when you have one plate and one mouth, but tables are needed if you’ve got other little people to feed.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

How occupied is the city center parking garage? Maybe a section of that could be set aside to do this. Or, they could set up along 3rd street on the east side of the garage, and some of those bays could be opened up with chairs and tables. Right now, they are all vacant!

mrpoppinzs

That is a great idea, a lot of people still miss the City Center food court.

hoppzor

obvious question: how does such a space make money? are they charging the food trucks rent? that seems crappy.

mrpoppinzs

hoppzor said:
    obvious question: how does such a space make money? are they charging the food trucks rent? that seems crappy.

I would assume some kind of association fee = rent. You have to spend money to make money.

Twixlen
    Participant

hoppzor said:

All food trucks pay rent to the private property where they are… that’s how it works.

And a set-up situation like this, they’d likely have access to electric, water, and potentially propane/natural gas.

FoodFort
    Participant

This is a great idea. The Dispatch Comments to the article read like a bizarro CU thread.

rus
    rus
    Participant

FoodFort said:
    The Dispatch Comments to the article read like a bizarro CU thread.

Getting harder to tell those two things apart.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:

Psh. There’s always been some level of playfulness and silliness and joke-commentary on CU, but I’ve rarely seen the kind of full-throttle rage that exists in many of the mainstream media outlet comment sections.

I think the biggest difference is that most people on CU are excited about what happens tomorrow, whereas mainstream media commentators are more generally angry about something that happened yesterday.

myliftkk
    Participant

rus said:

I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen these Disptach commenters trademarked phrases on CU before:

skanky taco trucks

itinerant “roach coaches”

typhoid trucks on wheels

Even the requisite complaint about the Piss Christ. How long they gonna gnaw on that bone?

Was hopeful the third commenter was going for alliteration, but apparently it slipped by them that trucks w/o wheels would be called stands, and no need to over-qualify the noun.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!