Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ice Skating Rink in the Short North?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Ice Skating Rink in the Short North?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

the city used to prepare the pond at goodale for ice skating when i was a kid. that was 25 years ago… wonder what the insurance premium for a ice skating rink is?

Love the idea! How about the Italian Village park?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Btw, great idea. How about the lot next to Rossi in front of Salon Lofts. There is also a huge lot on 2nd and High (which I can’t believe no one has developed yet) Any further up and you get away from the core street traffic.

pixiecrinkle
    Participant

chaptal wrote >>
    20 degrees.
    Water hose
    Ibiza lot.

You forgot to put “giddy Jym Ganahl” on your list. :)

heresthecasey
    Participant

I think the parking lot for the Greystone apartments right @ Hubbard/High would be the best location by far, but then you have to find another spot for all those people to park their cars

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Hubbard School, is it still a funtioning school? or the old 2nd ave school playground…the wonderbread lot or the Jeffrey, though both a fur piece from High St. have lots of space.

I think Hubbard School is still a school. The Short North Civic Assn does parking there during Comfest, and splits the proceeds with the school.

Does this have to be on a pavement, or is it possible to prep a grassy foundation with an underlayment or something? The union hall on Price has a big parking lot, but they also have a big grassy lot (at least I think it’s them). I don’t think they’d allow part of the paved lot to be used – sometimes they have big meetings (although, couldn’t hurt to ask). However, they might allow the grassy area (maybe if promises of grass seeding were included in the deal). Anyway, it’s just a block off of High, and pretty much right in the middle of the SN.

es212300

I was just wondering if there had been any progress on the ice rink. I think it’s a GREAT idea.
    I haven’t been able to find anything about Skate on State this year either. Is that a thing of the past?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

es212300 wrote >>
    I haven’t been able to find anything about Skate on State this year either. Is that a thing of the past?

Yeah, they ended it two or maybe three winters ago. From what I heard, the attendance wasn’t enough to justify keeping it going. Anne & I checked it out a few times and enjoyed it. I think they needed a couple of more activities going on in conjunction with it to get it up to the critical mass that it needed. Might be cool to see it return to Columbus Commons or the new Bicentennial Park area of the new Riverfront.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Hopefully, once it gets really cold, the pond in Goodale Park will be available again for ice skating…the water lotus have been cut back and should not impede skaters this year.

VicVillage Guy
    Participant

I assume your not technically allowed to skate on the pond in Goodale but do people actually do it?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

actually I think you are allowed to skate on the pond, folks did it for many years prior to the invasion of the water lotus.

alison

I forgot — why is the Ice Haus skating rink at the Arena not sufficient?

chaptal
    Participant

alison wrote >>
    I forgot — why is the Ice Haus skating rink at the Arena not sufficient?

Because there are people who think skating outdoors in a wintertime urban setting is fun. The Ice Haus is a good option, as is the OSU Ice Rink and the Chiller.

I still say Jym Ganahal, with a garden hose and the Ibiza lot would rival any trio from Jeni’s :)

groundrules
    Participant

didn’t they do this down on the statehouse lawn, or nearby once?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: