Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ice Skating Rink in the Short North?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Ice Skating Rink in the Short North?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Tigertree

Okay, this is a long shot I know, but I want an ice skating rink in the Short North for Holiday this year. I think skate on state didn’t work because, well who is hanging out around the statehouse after dark? But the Short North is packed and it would really help people get in the holiday spirit and, hopefully shop.

So, does anyone know what the company that operated Skate On State was? And more importantly how they operated. If I could find a Short North space to allow someone to set up for free for the season, would that be the end of my obligations, would the money they made from renting skates and so forth cover it or would there be other financial considerations?

lisathewaitress
    Participant

I second this. i would love to have an ice skating rink in the Short North. here’s a rental company:

http://www.nutemp.com/ice_rinks.htm

does it seem like the sort of thing the blue jackets might sponsor?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tigertree wrote >>
    So, does anyone know what the company that operated Skate On State was?

It sounds like it was operated by The Chiller:

Skate on State Returns – Nov 17 – Dec 31

kessler
    Participant

damn, Walker beat me to it! (was going to post that link)
    Yeah, I think it would be a good idea, to bad the ibiza-frozen in time spot isn’t more even. It would make a good location for it.

Tigertree

There are a few locations that would work out well but for sake of having to go back and say “I shouldn’t have said that,” I’ll just let you speculate. Called both companies already, got put through to the right person… voicemail… Corporate sponsorships should be pretty easy for this. Hopefully I’ll get a call back soon so I can have a more realistic idea of the cost involved.

Coreroc

can’t we just freeze the pond in goodale park?

Tigertree

Well, theoretically, but there is the issue of the fountain, the huge increased liability, the fact that we would then HAVE to run the program through the city, a program I want in 3 months, not years and it’s not on High St. I am doing this for business…

chaptal
    Participant

20 degrees.
    Water hose
    Ibiza lot.

alison

chaptal wrote >>
    20 degrees.
    Water hose
    Ibiza lot.

Yes! It’ll be useful in my lifetime!

Coreroc

Sorry to humor the thought of the pond I was truly joking. seriously outside of the ibiza lot which would actually take serious leveling before you could do this. Where would you put this to drive business on High St.?

greenhouse1014
    Participant

Fireproof parking lot? Never see anyone actually parked there…

blammo
    Participant

High & 5th ave. has a nice empty lot that’s presently unused. Kinda far away from Tigertree though. Other than that, the parking lot for Union right behind the Ibiza site would be great…but it’s being used as a parking lot.

That fenced in lot next to UDF that the Rossi used to rent for parking would be a pretty cool spot too.

Tigertree

Hopefully the local (chiller) will be cheaper, delivery and install for the other company (from Indiana) is close to 60,000

Great idea. I am in to help.

LeePaul

That will pretty much guarantee a 70 degree Christmas!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: