Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Hub Mixed Use Apartment Development in The Short North - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Hub Mixed Use Apartment Development in The Short North – News & Updates

This topic contains 900 replies, has 158 voices, and was last updated by  heresthecasey 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 901 total)
  • Author

mbeaumont
    Participant

921 is separate from the rest of the strip center though, no?

heresthecasey
    Participant

mbeaumont said:
    921 is separate from the rest of the strip center though, no?

There are two buildings, but the lot is one parcel with one owner according to the auditor’s site.

Now, if he could only get the Brotherhood of Electrical Workers to sell their lots behind the center along Price. ;)

Pro Se
    Participant

Would make sense that Wood Co will duplicate the development they just finished on the High/Price side. They left a blank wall on the end of the building, which confirms as much.

ehill27
    Participant

^ It’s my understanding that the Brotherhood will be relocating. I’m definitely sad to see them go. On the bright side however, they do have a large parcel of underutilized land behind their buildings.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I noticed tonight that equipment was nearly set up inside the Snap Fitness and work was well under way on the Paper Daisy Flower Boutique too:

News
    Participant

Melt Bar & Grilled Opens Friday in the Short North
    Published on November 12, 2013 8:55 pm
    By: Ayana Wilson

Who doesn’t love cheese? Affection for this treat runs deep, especially in Central Ohio, where our love for the dairy staple has caused us to integrate it into just about anything we can. It’s the hidden treat in the middle of a burger, the secret ingredient for awesome cookies, and it even makes ice-cream better.

But the most popular incarnation of cheese is still the grilled sandwich. Of all the purveyors of the decadent dish, Melt Bar & Grilled (which hails from Cleveland) stands out among the rest. Melt is the brainchild of Matt Fish, a chef for 18 years, who came up with the idea to expand on his love of grilled cheese sandwiches after culinary school as he toured the country (he’s also a musician).

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/melt-bar-grilled-short-north-aw1

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Does the crane show up at all coming from Hilliard, or Gahanna. Or is it to small?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Just want to give a shot out to the Hub garage for being awesome. I forgot my hat at melt and had to drive back to pick it up. Well the garage doesn’t charge anything if you’re in and out in 15 minutes, which is great. Bonus feature, this is the first parking structure I’ve seen with motion sensing lighting to save energy. Great job design/build people.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

While most of the attention lately has been at the front of the building with Melt, the back end of the building has been progressing a lot with work on the townhomes…

Photo from here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-november-2013-part-2

News
    Participant

Best Urban Development of 2013: The Hub
    Published on December 23, 2013 8:00 am
    By: Walker

When we asked our readers to select the best urban development project of the year, they picked out one highly visible and nearly completed project that represents mixed-use through a combination of apartments, street level retail and a much anticipated Short North parking garage. That project would be The Hub, the long awaited replacement to the failed Ibiza project that never managed to break ground on this prominent corner in the heart of the neighborhood.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/best-urban-development-of-2013-the-hub-bo2013

I thought I’d put this in here since the Hub inspired it. This would be a very similar project located in Westerville at the northern end of their uptown. It is currently a parking lot for the church across State St. and used for the farmer’s market.

The uptown plan Westerville came up with showed infill here and it got me thinking. Here’s the lot (the building in the upper right is no longer there):

And tilted:

Its location relative to uptown:

My plan calls for a 40′ building (that’s Westerville’s limit) fronting State and Home streets. There would be a first floor grocer the size of Trader Joe’s. 2 floors of apartments would top that with 12 units. There would be a rooftop patio with a garden or pool.

Attached would be a 4 level garage with approximately 150-200 spaces. 2 townhomes would front the garage along Home ala the Hub’s townhomes along Hubbard. Across the alley would be a new single-family home with garage facing the rear alley.

A hand drawing:

The church owns these lots and has limited parking behind their building, making the garage a necessity. If any developer out there wants to hop right on this, go right ahead! ;-)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looks like the townhome units next to the garage are just about done.

New photos, here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-february-2014-part-2

tonloc620
    Participant

Does anyone know why The Hub did not do any street scape along High street. There isn’t one street tree along the entire lenght of High St. it’s realloy a sea of concrete. I think street trees play an important part of the entire street scape as well as the pedestrian experience.

Pablo
    Participant

My understanding is the City has a High St. streetscape project coming soon. The Fireproof and Pizzuti projects are equally bland. My guess is the City told the developers not to do anything more than relatively cheap concrete sidewalks in the meantime.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

What Pablo said.

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 901 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.