Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Hub Mixed Use Apartment Development in The Short North - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Hub Mixed Use Apartment Development in The Short North – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 901 total)
  • Author

Tigertree

Manatee wrote >>
    Not to be flippant, but I was recently thinking that the SN is reminding me more of Soho every day– constant construction. I don’t like the delays on these projects any more than anyone else, but it really does have a sort of– well, very urban look to it.
    Some kind of teeny silver lining, I suppose, in what is otherwise a poo sandwich.

I totally agree, and we have a ton of stuff on the horizon. I know of four other things opening on top of Undone, Levels, Underground Furniture and the New Consignment store. I think this neighborhood is just getting started.

^^We don’t have to imagine what this city looks like when it bends over for the road/bridge construction lobby. Out of the two I think we’d all rather see them do so for developers.

HeySquare
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>
    ^^We don’t have to imagine what this city looks like when it bends over for the road/bridge construction lobby. Out of the two I think we’d all rather see them do so for developers.

What… so you could bicycle down a dirt road to a strip mall?

lifeliberty
    Participant

I don’t really want to live in a city where the developers get to call all the shots.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

As frustrating as it is that the project is being delayed by procedural stuff, I’ll echo the comments already made that they’re put in place for a reason. Asking for a project to be pushed through may sound like a great idea to have construction start a few weeks ahead of time, but in the long run that won’t make a huge difference in the outcome.

Alternately… if something were to get overlooked during rushing something through and some sort of major problem occurred, then who’s fault would it be? The developer for requesting it be pushed, or the government for allowing it?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I don’t care what anyone says but for a project to start over 3 years after it was announced is ridiculous. As for the public, they have had plenty of time to debate this project. I attended an Italian Village Commission meeting over a year and a half ago where the developer presented models, schematics, the whole shabang. The problem is the process as a whole, from conception to construction. Sure, there should be hoops to jump through, the process needs hoops, but there are too many damn hoops, which only slows progress for the city. This latest excuse is absolutely uncalled for.

Maybe it’s time for a new department that focuses exclusively on construction projects. I doubt that would happen though with all the budget cuts.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow wrote >>
    I don’t care what anyone says but for a project to start over 3 years after it was announced is ridiculous.

I agree. They should have held off longer on actually announcing it.

HeySquare wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>

Since it’s me it’s already assumed I’m talking about urban developments only, ie the ones that matter.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

jpizzow wrote >>
    I don’t care what anyone says but for a project to start over 3 years after it was announced is ridiculous.

I agree. They should have held off longer on actually announcing it.

The delays do not bode well for future projects. If Arms were to announce another project in say, 2010, prospective buyers now have this assumption that it will take another 3 to 4 years before they could even move in. Therefore, they won’t bother putting a deposit down and sales of units could take longer. I hate to say it, but this project, because of the delays, may take a bite out of their reputation.

surber17
    Participant

HeySquare and Motorist, I think you’re taking what I’m saying wrong. I know the processes are there for a reason and I def. dont want things to be over looked. Also, I’m not talking about all developments, only this one. I get frustrated for 2 main reasons:

1. You shouldnt have to jump through hoops for over a year, let alone 3 … granted things have come up as they always do, but I’m still not seeing why it takes 3 years to break ground. And its not because of lack of interest. (edit: I know its just as much the developers fault as anyone elses)

2. At this point in time, with this economy and with the budget crisis we’re facing; why not get this moving as quick as possible? Am I asking to have this ready in 6 months … no, but 3 years I dont think is asking too much.

Also, you’re right, I dont work for the government or a developer so I dont know the how the process works. I’m not sure why either of you are so surprised that I dont know every detail. That’s why I post on here, so I can get that info. from people who know more than me. All I am is a citizen who wants to see Short North keep growing and I think this is an integral piece to that puzzle.

HeySquare
    Participant

Surber- This is a pretty big project, so I don’t think that a few years is excessive, given the scale of the project. I object to the implication that there is someone in the city or state government who is not doing their job. Or that government regulations are overly delaying this project.

I think this is the first project of this scope that the developers have taken on– size really does increase the complexity. And if they are using public money– tax credits, grants, or other funding streams– there is an additional level of scrutiny for the project. My point is… This project was publicized very early in the planning process, perhaps a bit early, since it really does take a lot of planning to get a project of this size off the ground.

The timeline of large development projects can be years. I think they are actually doing pretty well, under the circumstances. I’d rather they take the time and get their ducks in a row, so that construction can move forward smoothly, rather than seeing the project get stuck half-done. This construction is going to be a major disturbance in the neighborhood, and getting it done as quickly and efficinetly as possible should be a priority.

Growth to me doesn’t necessarily mean success or progress. It can be a positive. I hope that the growth represented by the Ibiza project will be a benefit to the neighborhood. I am glad that the developers aren’t rushing the job into construction, and taking the time to do their planning up front.

HeySquare
    Participant

Columbusite wrote >>

HeySquare wrote >>

Columbusite wrote >>

Since it’s me it’s already assumed I’m talking about urban developments only, ie the ones that matter.

What makes you think I wasn’t talking about urban areas?

Columbusite IS part of the road/bridge construction lobby, he just lobbies for his own ideas. That’s what kills me about that argument…I want a shitload of money spent on the things I think are important, but when it is spent on other things that other people think are important, they’re the “lobby”

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

ughhhhhhhhhhhh

Mercurius
    Participant

jpizzow wrote >>
    ughhhhhhhhhhhh

+1

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 901 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: