Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

I LOVE BACON.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 650 total)
  • Author

Ndcent

That’s all.

Ndcent

Ok fine…

Ndcent’s Batchelor Friendly Grill Snacks:

You’ll need:

1 dozen large fresh jalapenos

1 lb chicken breast

1 white onion

1 package sliced bacon (real pork shit not that turkey ho bacon)

some toothpicks

some spices

Directions:

half and de-seed the jalapenos, set aside

cut up onion into thick one inch strips, set aside

cut up chicken into thick one inch strips, place in bag with a tea spoon garlic powder, some kosher salt and some black pepper, shake it up

take half jalapeno, top with chicken strip, then onion slice, then wrap in bacon and secure with toothpick.

grill over medium heat, turning once, until bacon is cooked.

serve immediately with some ranch dressing for dipping if you can’t stand the heat.

Brewmaster

No cheese?!?! :D

Ndcent

Brewmaster wrote No cheese?!?! :D

That’s an entierly different thread.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ndcent wrote de-seed the jalapenos

wuss :)

shy_999
    Participant

Wow… I may have to make these!

turbo ninja
    Participant

As a Bleeding Heart Yuppie Liberal, I felt obliged to buy some local bacon from the new Kroger in the Brewery District a few months ago. It was from that meat packing company on Greenlawn (I forget their name) so I figured it had to be hella fresh.

I cooked the bacon as usual – tender but just a little crispy on the edges – and looked forward to enjoying it with some tasty waffles.

Joke was on me, because apparently it wasn’t seasoned or anything. This bacon tasted like very thin pork chops. Maybe that’s how it’s supposed to taste – THE PUREST FORM OF BACON TRUTH – but I honestly prefer the fake-smoke/pepper/maple/whatever flavor of Oscar Mayer or Sugardale.

So be warned.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ndcent

turbo ninja wrote I honestly prefer the fake-smoke/pepper/maple/whatever flavor of Oscar Mayer or Sugardale.

So be warned.

WORD UP!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Walker wrote ENJOY!

http://www.gratefulpalate.com/?p=Category_11

After initially seeing the bottom right photo to the left of the text box I wasn’t quite sure where you were sending us…then I figured out what it was.

EDIT: And btw, I’m definitely making these at first cookout.

turbo ninja
    Participant

Chris Onstad, the gifted creator of the brilliant Achewood webcomic, keeps a blog[/url] about his nascent subscription to the Bacon of the Month club (among other topics).

I am curious to read his reaction to “The bacon strip–[their] members only monthly bacon comic strip.”

FURTHERMORE:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

OH MAN. References to Achewood at The State all in one post? Turbo Ninja just became my favorite person. :D

But yeah, Onstad’s blog is where I discovered this wonderful bacon fan club. :lol:

Daz
    Participant

Walker wrote

Ndcent wrote de-seed the jalapenos

wuss :)

Common misconception.

The seeds aren’t the hot part on the jalapeno, they just seem hot because they are attached to the hot part.. if you rinse off a group of seeds, they’re not hot at all. It’s the white part of the pepper (known as the meat) that is the really hot part.

Ndcent

I never knew that!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Daz wrote The seeds aren’t the hot part on the jalapeno, they just seem hot because they are attached to the hot part.. if you rinse off a group of seeds, they’re not hot at all. It’s the white part of the pepper (known as the meat) that is the really hot part.

I’ve always heard Capsaicin is found in both the seeds, and ribbing more strongly than the rest of the pepper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin#Natural_function

Capsaicin is present in large quantities in the seeds and fleshy fruits of plants in the genus Capsicum.

Perhaps you’re correct that it can be washed off to some degree, but in my experience with jalapenos, the heat gets turned down considerabily when the seeds get tossed (although I’ve never tried washing them off). The rest of the pepper, that you mention is the hot part, is mild enough for nearly anyone to eat once the seeds are removed from the equation.

But yeah, that’s just my experience. I started making my own salsas at home about a year and half ago on a regular basis, so I’ve experimented with a lot of recipes, techniques, and flavors that I’ve read up on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 650 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: