Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

I-270 / Route 33 Interchange Upgrade

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation I-270 / Route 33 Interchange Upgrade

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Dublin to start studies with ODOT

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

By JENNIFER NOBLIT

ThisWeek Community Newspapers

An agreement with ODOT approved by Dublin City Council this week will start preliminary studies that will eventually bring improvements to the Interstate 270 and U.S. Route 33 interchange.

The construction of the first phase is expected to cost $33-million, officials have said.

READ MORE: http://thisweeknews.com/live/content/dublin/stories/2011/03/02/dublin-to-start-studies-with-odot.html?sid=104

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I was excited for a minute thinking it was the 270/33 interchange on the south east side going to Groveport/Canal/Lancaster.

cc

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I was excited for a minute thinking it was the 270/33 interchange on the south east side going to Groveport/Canal/Lancaster.

I also think the north part going east from 315 onto 270 needs fixing. You merge onto 270 at your peril. For all the money they spend, there is always more to do.

2thDoc
    Participant

I also think the north part going east from 315 onto 270 needs fixing. You merge onto 270 at your peril. For all the money they spend, there is always more to do.

Agree. Many interchange problems throughout the city are more a fault of careless “get out of my way” drivers than design issues. From my observation, if people wouldn’t tailgate and leave room for a weaving pattern while merging, things could go much more smoothly. The 315 onto 270 problem is compounded by all the a-holes who try to merge from the 23 exit lane across the other merge lane onto 270. But remember, we are all worse drivers than we think. Drive Safe!

News
    Participant

I-270/Route 33 interchange upgrade in Dublin lands $7M in federal funding
    Feb 19, 2013, 1:29pm EST
    Evan Weese
    Web coordinator-Business First

The first phase of a more than $125 million project to improve the interchange of Interstate 270 and Route 33 in Dublin has landed $7 million in federal funding. The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission approved the distribution for the project, set to rebuild the frequently backed-up northbound-to-westbound ramp, a $45 million phase expected to begin in 2017.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/02/19/i-270route-33-interchange-upgrade-in.html

News
    Participant

More information: http://27033interchange.org

News
    Participant

I-270, U.S. 33 Interchange In Dublin To Get Modern Makeover
    Friday May 17, 2013 12:57 PM

DUBLIN, Ohio – Drivers can expect big changes over the next few years to an often congested area of Interstate 270 in Dublin. City officials have a plan for construction on the 40-year-old ramps at the I-270 and U.S. Route 33 interchange.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/05/17/dublin-i270-33-interchange-construction.html

luketenley

This needs to happen sooner rather than later. The west side of 270 is going to be under some sort of construction for many many years to come!

bman
    Participant

I am sure all this money being spent on 270 (33 & 23) could have given us a great high speed rail system from DT to the SN.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

bman said:
    I am sure all this money being spent on 270 (33 & 23) could have given us a great high speed rail system from DT to the SN.

You know who posts the most shit about fuckiing trains here?

You.

Give it a rest already.

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    MORPC’s increased commitment to $25 million for I-270/US 33 NW Interchange

(Columbus –June 13, 2013) The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) approved a resolution to provide additional funding for upgrades to the I-270/US 33 northwest interchange. Earlier this year, the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT), Dublin, and MORPC initiated an effort to find new funding and revise design options to expedite one of the region’s top three highway priorities in a significant regional job growth corridor. Following discussion with Dublin and MORPC, ODOT requested additional funding from MORPC for the I-270/US 33 interchange. MORPC had previously committed $7 million to the project. Today’s resolution increased MORPC’s commitment by $18 million for a total of $25 million to be allocated over a 20-year period from MORPC’s annual federal funds.

The I-270/US 33 Interchange project is ranked in the top 20 by ODOT for freeway crashes and exceeds its design capacity by more than 100 percent. It serves approximately 90,000 vehicles per day of which at least 20 percent are heavy trucks. The project will improve operations and increase the capacity of the interchange and the segment of US 33 between Avery Road and I-270. This will be accomplished by replacing the loop ramps in the northwest and southeast quadrants of the interchange with directional ramps. Additional lanes are also to be added to US 33 in both directions between Avery Road and I-270.

Along with improving safety, upgrading this interchange re-invests in the retention, expansion, attraction and creation of jobs and more efficiently serves the expanding movement of goods and trade for the economies of Ohio, Michigan and Canada. I-270/US33 is among the top ten business highway corridors in Central Ohio. This jobs corridor, which includes major employers such as Honda, connects the Columbus metropolitan area to the Detroit/Windsor border crossing, facilitating the $30 billion in bilateral trade between the U.S. and Canada.

“We are certainly pleased with MORPC’s commitment for a project that supports Ohio’s economy, fosters economic development, and provides a safer and more efficient travel option for the public through this vital corridor on the northwest side of Franklin County,” said ODOT Director Jerry Wray. “Their investment highlights a priority project and sets an example others in the state could follow when working to collaborate on unique funding plans that allow our partners to put some skin in the game and help ODOT get major construction projects completed much sooner.”

“Improvements to the interchange offer a variety of economic benefits for the Columbus Region,” said Kenny McDonald, Chief Economic Officer of Columbus 2020. “Located at one of our top ten business corridors, the interchange will increase the Region’s market access, which already reaches half of the U.S. market within a day’s drive.”

“MORPC’s action today will help our region attract an estimated 44,600 new jobs and $2.8 billion in private investment,” said Marsha Grigsby, Dublin City Manager. “We appreciate MORPC’s leadership in funding infrastructure investments that preserve our competitive edge in logistics, and will keep our economy thriving and growing into the future.”

The total cost of the project is estimated at $92 million. Along with MORPC’s commitment of up to $25 million, up to $17 million is expected from the city of Dublin with additional funds being sought from ODOT and the Federal Highway Administration.

News
    Participant

FROM HERE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/kasich-proposes-3-billion-investment-in-ohio-highways

Franklin County I-270/U.S. 33 – Phase 1 of the reconstruction of the I-270 and U.S. 33 interchange to increase safety and ease congestion. Total project cost is $93,800,000. Construction date under Jobs and Transportation Plan is 2015 and without this plan would not have started until after 2027. Time saved is 12+ years.

GCrites80s
    Participant

3 billion dollars? I thought we were broke.

DavidF
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    3 billion dollars? I thought we were broke.

Only when it comes to schools, poor people, children, health care, or trains.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Only when it comes to schools, poor people, children, health care, or trains.

How many children would $3 billion buy?

Per pound, they’ve got to be about the same price as chicken, right? There a big price break if you get them whole as opposed to deboned?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: