Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Human Trafficking

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Human Trafficking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

I haven’t heard much on CU about the human trafficking problem in Columbus. Is anyone here well informed on the topic? Or involved in efforts to combat it? I just read this Dispatch article from June 2009, which covers the issue well. Thoughts?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Ethan

My wife and I are starting to get involved. There is a great local organization that combats trafficking and houses girls who have been trafficked for sexual purposes. The organization is called GraceHaven.

A friend of mine is currently trying to organize a benefit show for GraceHaven. Does anyone have contact with local bands that might be interested in participating? He had a band back out recently.

Mercurius
    Participant

My friend Kae is doing a fundraiser called Freedom Follies in November at Wild Goose. If you’re looking to get more involved, this is a great event.
    http://614columbus.com/magazine/10-01-2009/other-ways-for-would-be-abolitionists-to-help

Mercurius
    Participant

NFS Ohio Fundraiser
    Freedom Follies 2009
    November 12, 7 p.m.
    Wild Goose Creative (2491 Summit St.)

JonMyers
    Participant

I read the 614Magazine issue with the series of articles on human trafficking and found their intentions to be disingenuous on two fronts.

It was clear the articles and reporting style were designed to grab eyeballs in a sensationalist way. Sex sells.

Secondly and even more disturbing, they attempted to take some moral high ground on not running adult classifieds. They then used that moral posturing to take stabs at larger publications in Columbus that do run adult classifieds.

Hmmm, coincidentally they’re in serious competition for ad dollars with those publications. The whole thing seemed like a setup to push their ad agenda and inflict some damage on competitors rather than a serious concern about the issue of human trafficking.

Cheap.

mrsdylan

sugarplumclarey wrote >>
    I haven’t heard much on CU about the human trafficking problem in Columbus. Is anyone here well informed on the topic? Or involved in efforts to combat it? I just read this Dispatch article from June 2009, which covers the issue well. Thoughts?

Here is a good website with lots of research:Shared Hope International

Cookie

JonMyers wrote >>
    I read the 614Magazine issue with the series of articles on human trafficking and found their intentions to be disingenuous on two fronts.
    It was clear the articles and reporting style were designed to grab eyeballs in a sensationalist way. Sex sells.
    Secondly and even more disturbing, they attempted to take some moral high ground on not running adult classifieds. They then used that moral posturing to take stabs at larger publications in Columbus that do run adult classifieds.
    Hmmm, coincidentally they’re in serious competition for ad dollars with those publications. The whole thing seemed like a setup to push their ad agenda and inflict some damage on competitors rather than a serious concern about the issue of human trafficking.
    Cheap.

Ugh, I just looked at their website and saw the cover of this month’s issue.

Stay classy, 614!

JonMyers
    Participant

@Cookie – exactly.

DavidF
    Participant

And let’s never forget that CU hates 614 magazine. They’re too frivolous. Damn them for the restaurant week thing. Oh, look, a serious story, what’s the real agenda?

I just wonder what the reaction would be if TOP ran the same story?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

DavidF wrote >>
    And let’s never forget that CU hates 614 magazine. They’re too frivolous. Damn them for the restaurant week thing. Oh, look, a serious story, what’s the real agenda?

Walker hates when you speak for CU, stop it.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

DavidF wrote >>

I’m just as likely to question their agenda as well.. they all pretty much blow :-p

JackWells
    Blocked

@ JonMyers- Perhaps we can all focus on the fact that the coverstory did bring an important issue in human trafficking to the forefront, and put to bed your own agenda that you for some reason do not like this magazine.

Cookie

DavidF wrote >>
    And let’s never forget that CU hates 614 magazine.

I don’t think that there’s a single issue that every person on CU agrees on.

I can only speak for myself, but if they ran it with the same cover, I would have the same response. The other article and editorial criticizing other local papers for running ads for “adult services” makes the agenda pretty clear though.

JonMyers
    Participant

@JackWells – I’m not in the print business.

If a disproportionate amount of a business’s efforts are spent trashing the competition call me crazy, but I think they should focus on their product and own business first.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION