Our City Online

Messageboard - Civic Meetings

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

HUD Sec. Donovan to Make Major Recovery Act Funding Announcement in Columbus

Home Forums Events Civic Meetings HUD Sec. Donovan to Make Major Recovery Act Funding Announcement in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

cmhcow
    Participant

U.S Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Shaun Donovan will make a major American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funding announcement in Columbus, OH TOMORROW, January 14 at 9:30 a.m. The funding to be announced is designed to help neighborhoods hard-hit by vacancies and abandonment to recover from the effects of the housing crisis.

Donovan will be joined by Senator Sherrod Brown, Lieutenant Governor Lee Fisher, Mayor Michael Coleman, and other community leaders and elected officials.

WHO: HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan

Senator Sherrod Brown

Ohio Lt. Governor Lee Fisher

Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman

WHAT: Major Recovery Act funding announcement for

Columbus and other neighborhoods throughout

Ohio

WHEN: 9:30 a.m.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

WHERE: Dodge Recreation Center

667 Sullivant Avenue

Columbus, OH 43215

JimSweeney
    Participant

quite a lineup. this looks pretty big.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

Big money big monaaaay….

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Any idea on what the announcement will be about?

Very exciting stuff!

coolbuckeye
    Participant

NSP round two?! I am pretty sure that is what it is about. I think Columbus was very competitive in trying to get those dollars.

lilbit
    Participant

I can’t make it to the meeting tomorrow, but I’m very curious to hear what’s going on.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A few more details…

Press Release:
    Lt. Governor to Join HUD Secretary for Neighborhood Stabilization Program Announcement in Columbus Thursday

Columbus, Ohio – Ohio Lieutenant Governor Lee Fisher will join U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Secretary (HUD) Shaun Donovan, U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown and City of Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman for an announcement regarding the Neighborhood stabilization program on Thursday in Columbus.

As part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, Congress allocated $2 billion to the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) 2. The NSP 2 funds will be awarded competitively to eligible local governments, states and nonprofit organizations. The application submission deadline was July 17, 2009.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

OK so fisher is taking credit for this.. Really? Cherry picking is not allowed.

cmhcow
    Participant

coolbuckeye wrote >>
    NSP round two?! I am pretty sure that is what it is about. I think Columbus was very competitive in trying to get those dollars.

at least that is the rumor (about being competitive). i heard another rumor that cincinnati did not fare well (their application was $1 million high than that of the CMH Collective).

JimSweeney
    Participant

I’d say that the fact that the event is being held here is a pretty darn good indicator that Columbus projects will get some funding.

cmhcow
    Participant

JimSweeney wrote >>
    I’d say that the fact that the event is being held here is a pretty darn good indicator that Columbus projects will get some funding.

just don’t tell them about your gorilla friend…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Can’t be worse than last year, right?

Columbus gets $22M for Neighborhood Stablization

rory
    Participant

This time the request was for roughly $64,000,000.

Columbus NSP2 application

And this time non-profits can administer the funding. The consortium for the Columbus is:

1. The City of Columbus – Lead Applicant

2. Franklin County

3. Affordable Housing Trust of Columbus and Franklin County

4. Campus Partners

5. Columbus Housing Partnership

6. Community Development Collaborative of Greater Columbus

7. Habitat for Humanity of Greater Columbus

Weinland Park’s money goes largely through Campus Partners.

CDS sherman

JimSweeney wrote >>

the fact thats its at dodge park is a good indicator….. nothing like being CDC of the year eh jim.

drew
    Participant

And here’s the upshot:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/01/14/Columbus_receives_neighborhood_stabilization_funds.html?sid=101

This is probably the most interesting part for forum goers:

Columbus will receive $23.2 million in neighborhood stabilization money to help areas struggling with foreclosures and vacant housing, officials announced this morning.

The city had asked for $64.8 million in federal stimulus funds.

That included $10.3 million to help Wagenbrenner Development to build 305 homes and 300 apartments on the old Columbus Coated Fabrics site at N. Grant and E. 5th avenues in the Weinland Park neighborhood.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Civic Meetings’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE