Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hubbard Park Place - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Hubbard Park Place – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Because those are the current sites of White Castle and CheckSmart.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Are any of you actually familiar with this area? There are several apartments in that alley-way, it just simply does not fit in with that neighborhood. Honestly if the area wasn’t filled with renters there would be more resistance to this plan. Why not build it on the current site of the White Castle or Check Smart.

First, as has already been pointed out, only a small portion of the building would be office space, with the rest being residential, so classifying it as an office building is a mischaracterization. Second, what exactly do you find so offensive about office space in a residential area to begin with? Mixed-use projects are highly successful and I see no reason how it would actually detract from the current state of the area. I’m not sure I understand that concern whatsoever.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker & Casey, you both are entitled to your opinions and I respect them but your responses don’t make me feel like mine are actually being respected in the least bit.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to come off as condescending, but I kinda did. You’re completely entitled to your opinion. We don’t have to agree.

So with that said I ask, do either of you really believe that an office building in an alley is really a good idea?

Yes. I do. There is demand for office space in the Short North. Even in alleyways:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/uber-expanding-short-north-offices

heresthecasey
    Participant

The row houses fit, the office tower does not and would be out of place with the rest of the neighborhood. My hope is that only the row houses are approved and built, period. Walker & Casey, you both are entitled to your opinions and I respect them but your responses don’t make me feel like mine are actually being respected in the least bit. So with that said I ask, do either of you really believe that an office building in an alley is really a good idea? Quite frankly I’m surprised it’s made it as far through the approval process as it is currently.

@wpcc88 of course you (and everyone else) are entitled to your opinion on this and any other project. However, the community is best served when articulated opinions are well-informed and based in facts/reality rather than just speculation or someone’s random hunches. Especially in this case when we have so much hard data, project drawings, etc at our disposal to look at and find the answers to our questions/potential concerns.

Calling this an “office tower” and saying that it will block out the sun on High Street are both demonstrably not true. Again, this is an apartment block, one floor plate of which (at the base) would be commercial space. And a simple exercise in connecting sight lines in the larger context shows that the building would be practically invisible from High St.

Really, it’s in the best interest of continued, productive discussion to dispel misconceptions when they come up, or else they have a tendency to spread and multiply. By all means at the end of the day feel free love it or hate it, but at the very least take some time to form your opinion based on the plethora of information readily available to you.

News
    Participant

Update here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/mark-wood-on-the-past-present-and-future-of-the-short-north-bw1

We’re hoping to go in for final approval for Hubbard Park Place at the next Victorian Village Commission meeting. We’ve got conceptual approval of that, and we have our finishes in place that we’re going to be submitting.

Pablo
    Participant

Parkside, Hubbard Park set for 2015 building start

Developer Michael Schiff said the mixed-use Hubbard Park has cleared the Victorian Village Commission, paving the way for construction of 100 to 115 apartments and 10,000 to 20,000 square feet of office space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2014/10/17/parkside-hubbard-park-set-for-2015-building-start.html

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I found these renderings on Schiffcapital.com
    View Looking down High street from Hubbard (6story building facing Wall Street)

View from Park Street

View from Hubbard Ave

WJT
    Participant

^^^

These renderings look GREAT!

Nancy H
    Participant

Let me start by saying, I like this project.

People wants density in the SN. Most chant we need more tall buildings on High Street. What I don’t understand is why do we keep “stepping back” from High with the highrise parts of new developments. The short side should be facing the much shorter older architecture in the mostly two story residential parts of the neighborhood and step up toward High Street. If we really want taller buildings on High, then put the tall part there!

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

People wants density in the SN. Most chant we need more tall buildings on High Street. What I don’t understand is why do we keep “stepping back” from High with the highrise parts of new developments. The short side should be facing the much shorter older architecture in the mostly two story residential parts of the neighborhood and step up toward High Street. If we really want taller buildings on High, then put the tall part there!

I understand your point but usually they step back so that from the sidewalk the building appears to be about the same height as the neighboring buildings. A good example of this is the new Le Meridien Columbus that steps back a little after the first 2 stories because that is the height of both of its neighbors.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Also, I too like this project and have been waiting for it for a long time. It seems like another project that has been approved for a while but nothing has happened. Anyone have any idea why?

loudiamondtabs
    loudiamondtabs
    Participant

That is essentially what they are doing. They are putting the 6 story building as close to High as they can. They cannot put it on High because the property does not front high street. , then they are stepping back the shorter buildings to face Hubbard and Park. Unless I am misinterpreting the images completely.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

From Walkers construction updates posted today it seems like work should start early this fall on Hubbard Park Place.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Not the best representation but this is the site plan. The two shorter buildings give more of a neighborhood feel while the taller 6 story building is closer to High Street and away from existing single family homes.

Nancy H
    Participant

A good example of this is the new Le Meridien Columbus that steps back a little after the first 2 stories because that is the height of both of its neighbors.

The Meridien is definitely not a good example of what I was saying. It is taller on the IV side. I like this building, and it does (more or less) feel comfortable with the older High Street buildings. It sucks when viewed from the older two story residential part of the neighborhood. Residents have to look at a big blank wall with fake holes where windows “might have been.”

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 135 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO