Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hubbard Mastery School PreK-6

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Hubbard Mastery School PreK-6

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I’d like to start a discussion about this particular school in the Columbus City Schools District.

Hubbard Mastery School PreK-6 is located at 104 W. Hubbard Avenue, Columbus, OH 43215.

It is the school where my children are currently attending. I am currently an officer for the PTO. We are working to promote the school to the community. The end goal is for this to become *the* most desirable place for you to send your children to school if you live in the neighborhood footprint of the school, and for it to be a school that anyone will want to lottery their child into. You have many choices for school options and the goal is for Hubbard to be on the top of your list.

The 2014-2015 school year is the first year for this school. In previous lives it was the Fifth Avenue International School.

Susie McGeean is the principal and the programming has been changed to Mastery Learning. Mastery Learning “is designed to help children master concepts before moving on to new concepts in order to build a strong foundation for learning. This focuses on studies of culture, critical thinking skills, mastery learning and problem based learning which will prepare our students for the 21 Century.”

All students take Mandarin Chinese.

Here is the CCS website for the school.

I’ll have a website for the community/events/PTO soon.

If you have questions, concerns, want to volunteer, wish to donate money or supplies, or anything else, please post here or contact me at [email protected].

Current volunteer opportunities:

-We are looking for people to come to the school and have a child read to them. School hours are 9am-3pm.
    -We need volunteers to help with parking cars during Gallery Hops.
    -We are accepting donations of socks, hats, and gloves. You can drop supplies at the school, or at Columbus Underground’s office at 14 E. Gay St., Floor 5, Columbus, OH 43215, or you can contact me for arrangements.

*This posting is going to be updated on an ongoing basis.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Here is the current neighborhood boundary of the school. This school is designated as ‘Assigned Population with a City-wide Lottery.’ That means that it is the school of attendance (neighborhood school) for anyone living in the boundary, and that if seats are available, anyone may use the lottery application to apply for the school.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Upcoming events:

PopUp BakeShop
    Come enjoy some delicious treats and support the school.
    -Screen on the Green in Goodale Park, Friday, August 29.
    -Moonlight Market, Downtown on Gay Street, Saturday, September 13.
    -Screen on the Green in Goodale Park, Friday, September 19.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

We will have the parking lot behind the school (the school is located at 104 W. Hubbard Ave, the parking lot entrance is on Wilber Avenue) available for parking during Gallery Hops. Parking will be $10 a car, no in-and-outs. This will be a fundraiser for the PTO, thank you for your support!

GCrites80s
    Participant

That Mastery concept sounds cool. For the longest time schools were treating kids like VCRs. Whichever kids were best at being VCRs would be rewarded rather than the kids who wanted to know how things work. When you know how things work you don’t wind up taping over what you learned before in order to do well in school and life. Rewarding short-term recording over mastery is what led to so many people who do well in school being duds in life and our superstars being a bunch of dropouts.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

For the longest time schools were treating kids like VCRs.

If you used that analogy in any elementary school today, none of the kids would have any idea what you’re talking about. ;)

Anyway, as Anne has already said, we’re very excited about continuing to support the school post-transition from Fifth Avenue International, and looking forward to sharing more and more opportunities for the community to get involved in various ways. ;)

jOHnH
    Participant

Walker and Anne, my kid would go here in about 5 years, do you think Hubbard Mastery has staying power? is this the first year for the school? Also, what donated supplies are you looking for? Would love to help out anyway I can. Thanks

GCrites80s
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>GCrites80s wrote:</div>
    For the longest time schools were treating kids like VCRs.

If you used that analogy in any elementary school today, none of the kids would have any idea what you’re talking about. ;)

LOL

OK, RAM.

Pablo
    Participant

Cool building! Parental involvement both at school and at home is what makes a successful school. My child attends Indianola K8 and the parental involvement is very strong. I hope Hubbard is a success – schools like this will help lure families back into the city.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker and Anne, my kid would go here in about 5 years, do you think Hubbard Mastery has staying power? is this the first year for the school?

It’s “sort of” the first year for the school. It was relocated from Fifth Avenue International (formerly housed in the old Everett MS building) this summer. So it has much of the same student body from 5th Avenue, a few of the same teachers, and some of the international curriculum (including Mandarin Chinese class for K-6).

It has a new principle, some new teachers, the new Mastery focus, a new name and a new (old) building.

I do think it has staying power, as it has very good “bones” so to speak, and has lots of room to improve as more parents get involved and more community members get involved. There’s a lot of great kids who go here from all walks of life and all neighborhoods of Columbus, so it’s a very diverse setting. That being said, there is a large percentage of kids on the free lunch program last year (it’s offered free to anyone/everyone now though) and not all kids have the support at home from working parents or parents who can’t provide all of the supplies that the kids need to perform well.

Anne volunteered last year for reading assistance for 1st graders and would go in for around an hour one day a week. It was very helpful to be able to provide some one-on-one reading and tutoring time with these kids, especially the ones who were a little behind and needed some extra attention to catch up. I know she found it really rewarding as well, getting lots of daily hugs from all of the kids who enjoyed spending time with her. ;)

Also, Anne can better answer the question about supplies/donations that are needed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cool building! Parental involvement both at school and at home is what makes a successful school. My child attends Indianola K8 and the parental involvement is very strong. I hope Hubbard is a success – schools like this will help lure families back into the city.

Indianola is a great school, and it’s become very hard to lottery into because it’s so well regarded.

We would love to see Hubbard viewed the same way within a few years, but hopefully retaining a healthy mix of children who live within the neighborhood boundary map and children from outside the boundary and all over Columbus. The international focus is something that drew us to the school originally, and it would be a shame if the student body lost its mix. Something I hope the administrators and the school board will be mindful of.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Walker and Anne, my kid would go here in about 5 years, do you think Hubbard Mastery has staying power? is this the first year for the school? Also, what donated supplies are you looking for? Would love to help out anyway I can. Thanks

Hi jOHnH, thanks for your interest. I do think this school has staying power and will continue to grow. The Mastery Concept of individual learning sounds great and I love the idea of larger projects that bring the students real-world experiences.

Plus CCS just received 2.3M extra dollars from the auditor and part of that money went directly to this school. I think it has the support from the administration. We are working to have the business community become integrated with this school, and get neighborhood parents -current and future- excited about this school and involved so that it will continue to have strong support.

Now that school has begun, we can get an idea on what supplies are needed. I will check on that and update here. Thanks!

We will also be starting a campaign to raise funds for a playground overhaul to make it a wonderful space for students and the community.

jOHnH
    Participant

Walker and Anne, thank you for the information. Would you guys please pass along any information about donations for supplies and where donations can be made for the playground overhaul or other fund raiser events for that matter. Just out of curiosity, I assume the entire building isn’t being used, but what kind of shape is the building in? A quick search looks like it was built in 1895, I imagine it’s a solid structure and needs some updating. Thanks again

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

jOHnH, the school is being used in its entirety, plus the two modular buildings on the playground are used for instruction. The building is in good shape. It had been used for the Literature Based program at Hubbard for quite some time, and has been used on and off as a swing space for other schools when they underwent remodeling.

There is noted there was a water freeze that damaged the floor in the addition (assuming the gymansium/cafeteria) but that the necessary repairs were completed and it is all functional.

The classrooms are large and pairs are adjoining, allowing for flexible grouping between grades. I think this is an ideal setup for Mastery Learning.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

If anyone would like to donate hats, gloves, socks, that would be wonderful.

Donations can be dropped at the school during the PTO meetings which occur on the first Wednesday of every month at 6pm.

Or, donations can be dropped off at Columbus Underground’s offices at 14 E. Gay St., Floor 5, Columbus, OH 43215

Or, you can contact me at [email protected] for other arrangements.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!