Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hubbard and High Mixed Use (Haiku parking lot)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Hubbard and High Mixed Use (Haiku parking lot)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Pablo
    Participant

Looks like there’s a new mixed use project planned for the Haiku parking lot! It was tacked onto the the High St. projects PDF in this link: https://app.box.com/s/f6xsplrhwx5493lr3bkc6kr1kr6nhnaw Doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of additional info at this time.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.978758,-83.003872,3a,75y,79.37h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1socB10c0D1PUw_ttD87qaVw!2e0?hl=en

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Hmmm, will be interesting to find out more info.

I wonder how many surface parking lots are going to exist along High Street between German Village and OSU in 5 years.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Very interesting. Especially that it only includes the Haiku parking lot, and not the restaurant itself.

The full agenda doesn’t have much additional info either, only that the applicant/developer is Elford, and that it’s for a new mixed-use building.

harvjmiller
    Participant

Please let it be so. Surface parking lots are the missing teeth in the smile of a city.

News
    Participant

Multi-Story Development Proposed to Replace Haiku Parking Lot
    March 17, 2015 10:37 am – Walker Evans

As the Short North continues to rapidly evolve, one specific intersection stands out as the epicenter of growth due to a number of recently completed and proposed developments: Hubbard and High. The mixed use development known as “The Hub” was completed in 2013, accompanied by a new parking-garage behind it. The Wood Companies has proposed two additional projects only a half block from the intersection with Hubbard Park Place on the Victorian Village side and Parkside on Pearl on the Italian Village side.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/multi-story-development-proposed-to-replace-haiku-parking-lot

jtwill84
    Participant

While I think it’s great to see these surface lots developed into great mixed-use spaces, I would hope that developers would give some consideration to accounting for potential patio space, rather than developing a building directly up to the sidewalk. That area right now has such vibrancy in the spring/summer months, with the Haiku/La Fogata/Union patios right there at the sidewalk. I often wish there was a greater selection of patios in the Short North, and I wish that developers consider this possibility going forward. The retractable windows at the sidewalks are nice (Arch City, Pint House, Marcella’s), but they just aren’t the same as large, open patio. Just my two cents.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

While I think it’s great to see these surface lots developed into great mixed-use spaces, I would hope that developers would give some consideration to accounting for potential patio space, rather than developing a building directly up to the sidewalk. That area right now has such vibrancy in the spring/summer months, with the Haiku/La Fogata/Union patios right there at the sidewalk. I often wish there was a greater selection of patios in the Short North, and I wish that developers consider this possibility going forward. The retractable windows at the sidewalks are nice (Arch City, Pint House, Marcella’s), but they just aren’t the same as large, open patio. Just my two cents.

From the site plan it looks like they’ll be retaining the existing patio areas

haiku development

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Mmmm hm. Patio Row will continue to grow.

jtwill84
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jtwill84 wrote:</div>

From the site plan it looks like they’ll be retaining the existing patio areas

I meant with regard to the new building, not the existing patio space. Or any new development of a parking lot, for that matter. The trend seems to have been to remove all set-backs, and build the building directly up against the sidewalk, preventing any future sidewalk/street-facing patio space (similar to what is already in place at Haiku/La Fogata/Union). I certainly understand the desire to get rid of that big, open “dead space” that parking lots are currently creating, but it deprives the area of valuable patio space, too.

Unless, of course, I’m viewing the rendering incorrectly and the areas marked “2000 SF” and “800 SF” are intended to be patio areas rather than building frontages…in which case, I stand corrected. But I do think those considerations should be given to other future developments, too.

Liner Notes
    Participant

“It’s harder to justify land cost when knocking down high performing entities.”

I’m not sure why this statement sticks out to me as classist. But it’s hard for me to believe that the same thing would be said if a highly profitable tattoo shop or even an average performing clothing shop were in the same place.

I think the commission should push for a two phased plan. The first phase would include Haiku moving into the new build at its completion. Then the second phase would demolish the restaurant to make way for the completion of the development.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I don’t see how it’s classist. It seems economic. Why take a high performing business offline just to build a new building and hope to put something back that’s just as successful. But I also think it’s also important that the development is happening in partnership with the family that owns and operates Haiku (since 1998). Probably pretty easy to see that your parking lot could be put to better use, but a lot harder to take a wrecking ball to your golden goose.

ohbr
    Participant

I don’t remember exactly but wasn’t Northstar et al able to be largely unaffected during the expansion upward? Either way, I think the lot is a good place to start and if it is viable to stay open and build up or swap places after the first building is done, so be it but I think, like corrumbus said, it’s very important that this is entirely in collaboration with the family and their wishes. Nearly 20 years in the Short North and still a reliant staple in the neighborhood is a hard thing to just say they can close or move even for a little while. In this case, it may more appropriate to do right by an establishment that helped shape the neighborhood than risk it for some extra square feet in the form of offices or a couple apartments in the name of progress at this time IMO. Edit: at the risk of sounding “classist”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…it’s very important that this is entirely in collaboration with the family and their wishes.

Based on what Paul Liu said at the IV Commission last night, they were the ones who realized the opportunity that they had with their parking lot and reached out to Elford to initiate a partnership on developing it.

welkstar
    Participant

I don’t remember exactly but wasn’t Northstar et al able to be largely unaffected during the expansion upward? Either way, I think the lot is a good place to start and if it is viable to stay open and build up or swap places after the first building is done, so be it but I think, like corrumbus said, it’s very important that this is entirely in collaboration with the family and their wishes. Nearly 20 years in the Short North and still a reliant staple in the neighborhood is a hard thing to just say they can close or move even for a little while. In this case, it may more appropriate to do right by an establishment that helped shape the neighborhood than risk it for some extra square feet in the form of offices or a couple apartments in the name of progress at this time IMO. Edit: at the risk of sounding “classist”

For the Wood Co building, Northstar and the rest were able to stay (mostly) open because the structural work had already been done on those buildings. The Wood Companies anticipated building up when they bought the building and had extra reinforcing put in before those tenants moved in. They still had to closed for a month or so during construction (not safe to crane up steam beams over an occupied space).

News
    Participant

Ideas Sought for Haiku Parking Lot Development
    March 23, 2015 9:41 am – Walker Evans

Last week’s monthly Italian Village Commission saw the review of many large-scale developments along Fourth and Summit Streets, but only one large development on High Street. Project applicants from Elford Development and the Liu family (owners of Haiku) came before the commission to seek guidance on the appropriateness of developing their surface parking lot at the southeast corner of High and Hubbard.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/ideas-sought-for-haiku-parking-lot-development

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: