Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Election Results - November 2, 2010

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Election Results – November 2, 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 200 total)
  • Author

berdawn wrote
    no, for like the zillionth time…first, it’s Nevada and if the good citizens of Nevada choose to send a pet hamster to the senate, that tells me that whatever particular circumstances led them to do so is not limited to Nevada.

Politics is local and this race is not an exception. Reid’s loss will not be due to national trends, but due to being utterly inept as a Senator both for the DP and, most significantly, to NV. I agree that money flowed into NV against Reid, but that was because of his vulnerability which was due to his own failures. He had over 50% negatives in NV in 2007, before any of the national issues associated with Obama and the current Dems in power.

From a Democrat point of view, losing the seat is bad but losing Reid as a leader will be a boon.

A.

gramarye
    Participant

The fact that there are a significant number of people in Ohio and elsewhere who consider the Angle race to be relevant to their interests shows that the race has been nationalized.

From a national perspective, there could be many reasons for even a well-read, well-educated conservative voter to vote Sharron Angle. At the end of the day, the body count and the vote count matter a lot more than style. (This is a lesson that Obama has learned to his chagrin these past two years.) A vote for Angle is not just a vote “for” Angle or even a vote “against” Reid. It is a vote to deprive the Democratic Party, on the national level, of a certain measure of power, that specific power being measured by the number of Senate seats one controls. That is not the only form of power in D.C., but it is certainly a significant one. In addition, since Reid is the current Senate Majority Leader, his defeat would force the Democrats in the Senate to pick a new Senate Majority Leader; if one believes that the current Senate leadership is undesirable, taking out the man at the head of the table certainly sends a message. That doesn’t mean that any particular voter will like who *replaces* Reid, since it isn’t like these things are decided in advance, but it would force a shakeup of *some* kind.

This would involve a more European mindset towards voting than is typically seen in the states–i.e., voting the party, not the individual. There are definitely partisan loyalists in the U.S., too, of course, but as a culture, we traditionally look at races as individual vs. individual because that is how they’re presented to us at the ballot box. (By contrast, in the UK, you vote for a party.) Therefore, the mode of thinking could be “not a Democrat” rather than “not Reid” specifically.

Obviously, if Sharron Angle somehow wins this (which I actually doubt will happen) and proves to be as much of a loon as everyone says she is, she will be a one-term Senator, since the individual vs. individual mentality is likely to reassert itself by 2016 and Angle would be an individual with matchup problems against many potential challengers. In a nationalized, wave election, however, the individual foibles of individual candidates can often be overlooked in the interests of either giving or denying power to one faction or another.

Sharron Angle is unlikely to assume much in the way of leadership roles in the Senate should she win. I think many, however, might be looking at her as just one of many necessary votes to repeal Obamacare in 2012, as well as part of a firewall against future Keynesian and global-utopian excesses of myriad stripes that this administration and its sympathetic Congress have rammed down the country’s throat, or attempted to do so.

dirtgirl
    Participant

There are plenty of reasons (berdawn outlines a few) to care about a Nevada race, even if you don’t have connections to the State. The Senate is a national body and Nevada is one of about 11 races with the potential to swing the Republican direction. It’ll be one of the last ones to report, time-zone wise, and could end up making the difference for the Rs’ attempt to grab the majority.

I’ll also be watching the ballot issues in Colorado to redefine personhood and to legalize marijuana in California. I’m also curious how many votes the Rent is Too Damn High guy gets in NY. It’ll be a fun night with some serious national implications. No reason just to focus on Columbus/OH.

rus
    rus
    Participant

dirtgirl wrote >>
    It’ll be a fun night with some serious national implications. No reason just to focus on Columbus/OH.

Not sure about fun at this point, but likely there will be national implications.

dirtgirl
    Participant

rus wrote >>
    Not sure about fun at this point, but likely there will be national implications.

Point taken. I hope it’s not as “fun” as staying up all night waiting for Florida in 2000.

rus
    rus
    Participant

dirtgirl wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Point taken. I hope it’s not as “fun” as staying up all night waiting for Florida in 2000.

*shudder*

Whomever wins whichever race, I hope the margin is large enough to avoid recount hell.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

DISPATCH.COM SAID ELECTION RESULTS WOULD BE READY AFTER 7:30

IT’S 7:32 AND ALL THE CANDIDATES ARE SHOWING UP AS 0.0%

WAS THERE A MASSIVE COUP D’ECORPS????

D: D: D:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

From here: http://vote.sos.state.oh.us/pls/enrpublic/f?p=130:6:0

Governor/Lieutenant Governor
    Candidate % of Votes Number Of Votes
    Strickland, Ted (D) 53.08% 140,428
    Kasich, John (R) 43.09% 114,003
    Matesz, Ken (L) 1.97% 5,200
    Spisak, Dennis (G) 1.85% 4,881
    Sargent, David (WI) 0.01% 28

[Statewide Precincts Reporting: 0.12% ]

with most of those early Strickland votes from Cuyahoga

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Candidate Election Results

[Statewide Precincts Reporting: 0.31% ]

Strickland, Ted (D) 52.96% 142,025
    Kasich, John (R) 43.21% 115,870

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[Statewide Precincts Reporting: 9.21% ]

Strickland, Ted (D) 49.77% 455,144
    Kasich, John (R) 46.52% 425,430

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

[Statewide Precincts Reporting: 12.59% ]

Candidate / Issue % of Votes Number Of Votes
    Strickland, Ted (D) 49.04% 494,933
    Kasich, John (R) 47.22% 476,578

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Getting pretty narrow:

[Statewide Precincts Reporting: 21.25% ]

Strickland, Ted (D) 48.15% 577,568
    Kasich, John (R) 47.94% 575,024

Tenzo
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    From here: http://vote.sos.state.oh.us/pls/enrpublic/f?p=130:6:0
    Candidate % of Votes Number Of Votes
    Strickland, Ted (D) 53.08% 140,428
    Kasich, John (R) 43.09% 114,003
    Matesz, Ken (L) 1.97% 5,200
    Spisak, Dennis (G) 1.85% 4,881
    Sargent, David (WI) 0.01% 28
    [Statewide Precincts Reporting: 0.12% ]

I dont think I’ve ever seen a 10 point lead switch over the other guy ever. Kasich is now ahead. Thats pretty amazing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Kasich takes the lead:

[Statewide Precincts Reporting: 35.35% ]

Kasich, John (R) 48.14% 803,089
    Strickland, Ted (D) 47.88% 798,708

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 200 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: