Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Election Results - November 2, 2010

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Election Results – November 2, 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 196 through 200 (of 200 total)
  • Author

howatzer
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>
    Gay Voters’ Support For Republicans Nearly Doubled From 2008
    here
    WASHINGTON — Republicans made significant inroads among gay and lesbian voters in the midterm elections, with national exit polls for the House races showing that the GOP captured 31 percent of the vote of this group this year, compared to 19 percent in 2008.

That’s weird considering all that Obama has done to promote gay marriage and allowing openly gay soldiers to serve.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

rus wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>
    I don’t mean to offend anyone, but am I the only one who doesn’t think any of this matters any more?

Kinda helps that you took a walk from most of society, eh? Not criticizing, but wouldn’t things have to really hit the fan before government affected you?

How so? I think I still have most of the ties to goverment that the average person does. I also don’t feel that I’ve taken a walk on most of society. In fact, I can’t think of a time when I’ve been more involved with more people, and kinds of people.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>
    I don’t mean to offend anyone, but am I the only one who doesn’t think any of this matters any more? I feel like I’m given the “sacred right” to vote for Shitty Choice 1 or Shitty Choice 2.”

Did you even vote yesterday? The board of elections lists you as still registered in Columbus, but I thought you moved. Did you vote absentee?

Absentee. But I was gritting my teeth the whole time.

It’s like, which one should I choose? Nailgun to the face or fingernail removal? But at least I don’t live in one of those countries where people aren’t allowed to vote. In my country, people can make fun of politicians on TV and the internet! That’s freedom, baby.

Anyway, yeah. Feeling increasingly disenfranchised from this whole incontinent dog-and-pony rodeo.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Manatee wrote >>

rus wrote >>

Manatee wrote >>
    I don’t mean to offend anyone, but am I the only one who doesn’t think any of this matters any more?

Kinda helps that you took a walk from most of society, eh? Not criticizing, but wouldn’t things have to really hit the fan before government affected you?

How so? I think I still have most of the ties to goverment that the average person does. I also don’t feel that I’ve taken a walk on most of society. In fact, I can’t think of a time when I’ve been more involved with more people, and kinds of people.

Say government shut down tomorrow. Would you care? You’ve got your own food supply, water supply, involved with local people… there’s no police or fire protection to speak of, no welfare checks, but also no county or state inspectors showing up to hassle you, no demands for tax payments… nothing.

Thought exercise: if government vanished in a puff of smoke tomorrow, how much, if at all, would that change your daily life?

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I don’t necessarily have my own food supply, not yet at least. I’m certainly less reliant than a lot of folks are, but if the government shut down, all kinds of bad stuff would be happening everywhere. Who’s to say if my well water wouldn’t be contaminated if municipal sewage shut down. What would keep people from taking my stuff away from me, also?

One good thing: at least you’re right about those inspectors. I could put up a sod house with no red tape BS.

But I have no illusions that any of us would be safe for very long if the government imploded. I just don’t like voting for any of those jackals, and wish there was a better alternative.

Viewing 5 posts - 196 through 200 (of 200 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: