Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Yankee on High - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Yankee on High – News & Updates

This topic contains 81 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  News 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I’ve been working on something for OSU class. Granted it’s a very, VERY early in the process seeing as how I’m still trying to learn Google Sketchup so don’t judge, or do, whatever. The park that I’ve whipped up pretty quickly here is pretty simple, just ok and far from done but, at the very least, it gives an idea of what I’m envisioning for this space. I think, with the expansion of the adjacent garage, the increasing number of visitors and the increasing residential base (which could get a hefty boost with the development of the Vine St. dirt lots) that the loss of these parking spaces would have minimal impact on the amount of business. As for the revenue stream, I don’t know what they pull in. Maybe something else can be worked out. I’m not an economics major. Add to that an expanded kiosk and farmers market, outdoor dining for the YT building, sprucing up of the garage exterior and redeveloping that drab building next to Bar Louis and this could make for a very exciting little urban treasure.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I love the idea. That’s a helluva nice setting for the weekly farmer’s market, for sure.

Be a nice spot for guests at the Hilton and Hampton to enjoy their meals from the North Market.

I agree, however, that the practical concern will be hard to overcome: the parking there is awfully convenient and profitable. One wonders, then, how difficult/expensive it would be to build an underground lot for the market…that might not be necessary at all, as you all have already assumed, but it’s another potential option.

mrpoppinzs

jpizzow said:

Question would be – how many underground spaces and their cost? The surrounding areas seem to have ample parking within walking distance especially if the North Market increased its hours. I also think Goodale Park provides a lot of similar greenspace.

hivner1

jpizzow– love the idea! Yes, there are practical concerns but so what. I’m sure the NM parking lot is a cash cow, but it also creates a lot of traffic flow problems. The after-market hours are confusing to visitors; the frequent oh-shit-i-dont-wanna-park-here drivers backing out of the lot is annoying and dangerous; the lack of a credit card option is silly; and the overall traffic on Vine, Spruce, and Wall St during peak hours and events borderlines on absurd. It’s a clunky mess. If it’s a public garage that is needed, why not convert those ugly surface lots west of Park St? There’s quite a bit of possible infill over there. Personally, I’m in favor any solution that alleviates some of the traffic around the North Market/Arena District.

Something tells me that putting a parking garage beneath the existing NM lot isn’t feasible. Given the proximity to the railroad tracks, I bet there is some ancient infrastructure underneath the lot that would make the excavation impractical. That’s a completely uneducated guess though…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pro Se said:
    That would be great but I wonder about service access to those businesses. While we are on the topic, I would love to know whether the North Market would ever consider developing the parking lot. My thinking is the additional parking spots being added across the street (and in the area generally) may make alleviate the necessity for the lot. Perhaps Walker, who I believe is on the North Market Board, can shed some light.

The idea has been considered for a long time, and is still being considered. But it’s a very challenging issue because of the incredibly high costs. The parking lot does provide a sizable portion of the income of the North Market. Building an underground garage and building on top I imagine would cost in the tens of millions of dollars (money the NM doesn’t have) and an 18-month construction period would kill all parking revenue during that time, further straining the finances of the market. The construction timeframe would also severely limit customer traffic to market vendors, putting at least some of them out of business during construction, as well as limit access to festivals and events at the market, again, putting a strain on everything.

Is it feasible? Sure, anything is feasible. But the risk and cost is incredibly high in my opinion.

If the demand is there for a larger market (and I personally think it is) then we should just build another market in another location and leave the North Market as it is. Much easier. ;)

tourist19
    Participant

Walker said:

If the demand is there for a larger market (and I personally think it is) then we should just build another market in another location and leave the North Market as it is. Much easier. ;)

Yes, a South Market. That I can walk to please. I want that.

Pablo
    Participant

I agree, if there’s a demand for a farmer’s market downtown, why not utilize one of the many parking lots.

Just for fun: Central Market – demolished in 1966. That’s 4th St. in the foreground. The Greyhound bus station is there now.

jOHnH
    Participant

Walker, is there any possibility of roof top development for the north market building? Maybe just an out door dinning space or event space for the farmers market.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jOHnH said:
    Walker, is there any possibility of roof top development for the north market building? Maybe just an out door dinning space or event space for the farmers market.

Probably not. The rooftop is filled with assorted mechanical systems, and likely to gain more of them in the next year or two. I don’t think it has the structural integrity for any real additional weight capacity.

Yeti22
    Participant

The North Market parking lot needs to stay. From my experience when the NM parking lot is unavailable sales go down. A lot of people come from out of town and get confused if parking is not simple/convenient. They also don’t want to walk.

Anonymous

Anybody going to the breaking ground/Flipside launch thingie @ Yankee Trader this evening? It doesn’t seem air conditioned.
    ETA; There is a pretty nice porta-potty out back.

News
    Participant

Former Yankee Trader Will See New Life as Mixed-Use Apartment Building
    Published on November 13, 2012 7:00 am
    By: Walker

It’s been two years since the Yankee Trader novelty and party supply store closed their doors Downtown, but work has recently begun on bringing the space back to life. TRIAD Architects is redeveloping the group of empty buildings located at 461-465 North High Street into a new mixed-use purpose.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/former-yankee-trader-will-see-new-life-as-mixed-use-apartment-building

News
    Participant

Pricing and Floorplans Revealed for Yankee Trader Apartments
    Published on June 27, 2013 10:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

Crews are working on interior finishes on the eleven apartments at Yankee on High, the five-story building at 463 North High Street that previously held the entrance to the Yankee Trader novelty and costume store. Pre-leasing for the apartments has begun, with pricing information and floor-plans now available on the project website.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/pricing-and-floorplans-revealed-for-yankee-trader-apartments-bw1

tonloc620
    Participant

Does anyone know what is happening to the building 3 story building attached to the south of Yankee Apts. It appears there is some work being done but this article only address the 5 story building.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Hmm. I wonder what the restaurant could be. Elevation Burger maybe? They’ve been expanding all over the place lately, Austin, Indianapolis, etc.

It’s a little disappointing to see the last real “retail” space on this section of High St convert to restaurant use. Especially with the impending “Hyde Park fish concept restaurant” immediately adjacent to this. But I guess that is what’s most in demand here.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.