Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How should I handle constant car break ins?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How should I handle constant car break ins?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>
    Move somewhere that doesn’t encourage cops to avoid writing reports about petty crime.

Suggesting someone should move away from impoverished acts of criminal mischief goes against a lot of the ultra PC urbanites on this forum. Expect to get some grief.

ohbr
    Participant

We’ve actually had this problem alot more lately on the north side. Believe it or not, the police were unaware of the severity of the issue because people would not file police reports or they would call in to the police and be advised to fill one out online and never do it. Our neighborhood liaisons have said that they will be patrolling more often now that they are aware. The key is to make sure you, and your neighbors, are filing reports 100% of the time. Even if nothing is taken but items are disturbed. File for trespassing. If the formal numbers aren’t there to justify more police action, the police are much less likely to act.

And cameras can be a good choice. You may be surprised at how often it’s the same people coming by night after night to check cars.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Or a Dropcam. I honestly have been blown away with the system. Is this triggering. Or is saying the fcmc courts are a pit of social justice bs.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Move somewhere that doesn’t encourage cops to avoid writing reports about petty crime.

Eh, I lived in Dublin and had my car rifled through. They took my giant eagle card and a pair of $150 Raybans (you can guess which one I was more upset about). But I think I would go insane if it was happening multiple times a month. I’d probably become obsessed with rigging up some pepper spray contraption or something.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

All kidding aside the dropcam has a phone app and texts you when there is motion. It’s a complete security system. So easy to set up. Wifi.I have hilarious footage of people about to pry doors when the look up into it and run. It texts you and you can go out and bitch at people

Nancy H
    Participant

Eh, I lived in Dublin and had my car rifled through… But I think I would go insane if it was happening multiple times a month.

It is common in the SN, especially if you live near any of the nightlife spots. Mostly because people who live in outlying areas don’t have much of this kind of crime in their neighborhoods, and think locking the car door is good security. They leave laptops, digital cameras, shopping bags and hands full of quarters in plain sight. If a perp hits one car that has lots of goodies they will be back every night for months.

When I lived next door to the HUB garage I practically had to call CPD for bulk pick up. You wouldn’t believe the number of wallets (only the cash missing) handbags, laptop bags, briefcases, etc we found on our front porch or in the side yard. My favorite was a custom made bowling ball with a guy’s name engraved on it, along with the custom bag and his bowling shoes. Street people regularly fished nice top coats and working cellphones out of the trash cans in the alley behind the HUB garage. I would bet they still do, since they have done nothing to change security in or around the garage.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Suggesting someone should move away from impoverished acts of criminal mischief goes against a lot of the ultra PC urbanites on this forum. Expect to get some grief.

It has nothing to do with being politically correct… it’s just a stupid idea to uproot your life and relocate because of one small issue that has other solutions.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>OneBagTravel wrote:</div>

It has nothing to do with being politically correct… it’s just a stupid idea to uproot your life and relocate because of one small issue that has other solutions.

Sell your car! Do own anything nice. Befriend the mentally ill homeless dude robing you(make sure you pick days he is on his meds)

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

@OneBagTravel
    Agreed, but that doesn’t help with the wife’s anxiety. I had the same kind of reaction when it first started happening. One like “This is more of a societal failing for putting homeless people in this desperate situation”. However now my compassion has been worn thin and I just want it to stop!

@jOHnH
    I was refering more to how did you wire the power. I have a Foscam and just recently bought a DLink but I have no external power in an accessible spot.

I did end up taking the DLink and creating a simple FTP server on AWS. Now it uploads a pic anytime it sees someone move. I also created a cron job to combine, archive and email me any of the pics. Lets hope I can get a good look at the bugger.

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

Also it doesn’t change the fact that the police are still going to ignore it.

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

Ooohhhh my wife just brought up the public shaming angle. I have a big blank wall maybe a nice industrial sized banner saying ‘If you see this guy around here call 6146454545’ and then include a pic if I catch one!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: