Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How should I handle constant car break ins?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How should I handle constant car break ins?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

I live near the corner of Delaware and 2nd, and I have been having problems with break ins for some time. In the last month I have had my and my wife’s car gone through multiple times. I stopped locking it after my window got broken out enough times so I realized it wasn’t worth it.

I have tried calling the police, putting in a report, etc but I haven’t even been successful at getting the 16th precinct officer to call me back.

Does anyone have any tips on things that I can do to mitigate this? I am already working to install a camera but given CPD’s laissez faire attitude, I am not sure even that would work.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Nancy H
    Participant

I wouldn’t waste my money on a camera. I had the same problem years ago, when I lived on the eastern edge of German Village. I kept things like the owners manual, registration, proof of insurance, etc, locked in the trunk. Only thing I kept in the glovebox was a few maps and a box of tissues. Never left change or even an old pair of sunglasses in the car. Also never locked the doors.

After a few months of “the usual suspects” going through it every few nights, they stopped checking it.

I would also recommend turning off your dome/interior light(s). If they neglect to close the door completely you end up with a dead battery.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

+1 Nancy!
    It only took one lesson of having a $600 window busted out in my old Rover to just start leaving the doors unlocked and not leaving anything of value inside. After one or two more rummages the perp gave up and never had a problem again. Oddly enough, the singular item that they never bothered to take was a Best of Simon & Garfunkel CD… if they would have only taken that and listened maybe they would’ve turned their backs on a life of crime, haha

OneBagTravel
    Participant

But really, as people have said, leave doors unlocked and keep NOTHING in your car. If someone breaks into my car, they can nab the floor mats and that’s about it.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Electrified fish hooks.

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

I agree with you guys and I have done all that. I was more interested in trying to have the local police man keep an eye out (I know that is a big thing to ask of the police) but they won’t even call me back.

I thought about activating the alarm, then unlocking the door with the key. That way when they open the door the alarm goes off.

It is so frustrating because I have kids so I have a higher than average amount of stuff they can mess with while going through things. The worst thing is they never find anything anyway.

Josh_W
    Josh_W
    Participant

See my location.

jOHnH
    Participant

I put up a camera that record to a hard drive. $200 for the hardware on amazon. Live feed and records up to a weeks worth. Maybe a little over kill, but it is a nice fall back. This is also assuming your car is parked infront or behind your house/apartment.

Nancy H
    Participant

It is so frustrating because I have kids so I have a higher than average amount of stuff they can mess with while going through things.

Doesn’t sound like you are leaving NOTHING in the car. Perps have kids too, so that stuff is also attractive.

Car alarms don’t deter criminals. They just annoy your neighbors.

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

I wasn’t saying it would deter them but it would wake me up. I am not moving my car seats in and out.

GViewProgrammer
    Participant

@jOHnH How did you wire it up? Do you have a link for what you used?

@josh_w
    I am getting there.

melikecheese
    Participant

Yeah just leave it unlocked, had to do that while living on the west side, sadly it took my 2 windows and a drilled out lock to learn.

However, then one night the whole car was gone!

jOHnH
    Participant

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Move somewhere that doesn’t encourage cops to avoid writing reports about petty crime.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Move somewhere that doesn’t encourage cops to avoid writing reports about petty crime.

Suggesting someone should move away from impoverished acts of criminal mischief goes against a lot of the ultra PC urbanites on this forum. Expect to get some grief.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: