Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Much Sugar is in a can of Coke?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat How Much Sugar is in a can of Coke?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

We all grab one of these types of drinks every day, but do you know how much it contains? Watch the video and find out. It might just get you to grab a bottled water instead!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

We all grab one of these types of drinks every day

No we don’t.

geoyui
    Participant

Sugar is in a lot of things. Eliminating some of that sugar can do a world of good.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’d say my consumption of coke/cola has dropped to around one or two per year.

I have been addicted to diet pop over the past 10 years or so, drinking 2 or 3 or 4 a day. I know Aspartame isn’t the greatest thing in the world to consume a lot of, but I figure if I have one vice, it’s better than nicotine or heroin or cocaine. ;)

In the past month though, I’ve been on a health-adjustment kick, counting calories, exercising much more, and I’ve cut out diet pop and replaced it with water. The only caffeine I’m drinking regularly is 2 or 3 cups of coffee throughout the day.

I can’t say I’ve missed coke much at all. Whenever I have one it tastes way too sweet and leave my throat feeling coated in slime afterwards. I guess I’m officially old now.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sugar is in a lot of things.

Wait a sec… I thought natural sugar was in practically nothing these days? It’s all high fructose corn syrup.

Same goes for Coke. There’s actually zero sugar in it unless you’re buying kosher/mexican Coke.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Those looked like heaping teaspoons, not level teaspoons. Still, 9 tsp of sugar is a lot for 12 ounces of liquid, it is basically a light syrup. .

geoyui
    Participant

Wait a sec… I thought natural sugar was in practically nothing these days? It’s all high fructose corn syrup.

Same goes for Coke. There’s actually zero sugar in it unless you’re buying kosher/mexican Coke.

For me, I’m now more aware of how much sugar I take in and where I’m getting my sugar from. I’ve tried to eliminate all sugars that I drink, which includes pop (yep, not “soda”), OJ and sweet tea. I drank OJ and sweet tea everyday, which is a lot of sugar. I’ve replaced those sugars with fruit. I was always exercising, but when I cut out OJ and sweet tea, I lost weight pretty quickly.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The pasta sauce is a good example. Try to DIY starting from plain tomato sauce, and build it from there with whatever other flavors you might like. Then taste a commercial pasta sauce and the sugar flavor will leap out at you.

Roland
    Participant

I can’t say I’ve missed coke much at all. Whenever I have one it tastes way too sweet and leave my throat feeling coated in slime afterwards. I guess I’m officially old now.

I feel the same way. I gave up soft drinks too. Every once in a while I get a craving for some Classic Coke but I only end up drinking one or two sips before I’ve had enough. When your not having it regularly, it really can be overwhelming.

Yes, we are old. :)

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

It really is amazing how much sugar is in things you wouldn’t expect. Juice was already mentioned but even “healthy” things like yogurt, granola bars, etc.

I’ve never been a big pop drinker. Although I am partial to a 7&7 or a rum and coke (my go to at an open bar). So I guess if you’re gonna have some sugar you might as well mix it with alcohol.

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

I want to clarify here, on the can I am looking at there is 42g of sugars in this can. It really does not matter if it is sugar, corn syrup, or high fuctose corn syrup. So, if you want to do the math, every 4g is one teaspoon. So technically, there is 10.5 teaspoons in the Coke I am looking at. I rounded down to 9 because I was using rounded spoons in the video.

Someone memtioned spaghetti sauce, well for every 1/2 cup of sauce, there is 12g of sugars or 3 tsp.

You are only suppose to have 10g a day, but we are averaging over 40g in our diet.

I am trying to create awareness in the amount of sugars in our diet and hoping this video will help. I am working on another one that will be just as alarming as the Coke one.

NDaEast
    Participant

I want to clarify here …
    I am trying to create awareness in the amount of sugars in our diet and hoping this video will help. I am working on another one that will be just as alarming as the Coke one.

Well done.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It really does not matter if it is sugar, corn syrup, or high fuctose corn syrup.

I disagree. I would rather consume natural sugar than HFCS.

That being said, I agree that all sweetener levels are too high in general in the US diet.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I enjoyed listening to a Scotsman describing his utter disgust at American sugar-cured bacon. It was great.

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

I got an email as soon as my Coke video went up asking if I could do two more videos along the same lines. I did not want to create a new thread, so added it to this one.

Enjoy the first one!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: