Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How much do you pay for your gym membership?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How much do you pay for your gym membership?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author

pez
    Participant

We’re about $125 a month for the family at Lifetime Fitness (2 kids under 10). There are probably cheaper options around, but I can walk there, 2 hours of free child care a day and outdoor pools with water slides. I use the heck out of the membership.

jennyw
    Participant

I’m also a Planet Fitness-er. It does get crazy crowded there (although I think the warm weather has been keeping people away as of late, at least on the weekends), but given it’s only $10/mo, and you don’t have to sign a contract, there’s not a whole lot to take issue with. And, I have to say, that they seem to be pretty quick about repairing broken equipment, which has not always been my experience elsewhere.

shmack

i just canceled my planet fitness membership. the overemphasis on “judgement free” seemed fake and just plain annoying. yes, i am going to the gym to try to be svelte. that act is in and of itself self-judgment.

i joined oxygen where i pay more ($35/month), for the pleasure of walking to the gym, and to be judged and shamed when i can’t do more than five push ups in a row. nothing like a little motivation to get off my plump ass.

Trixie
    Participant

I pay 40 bucks a month for Lifestyle. I like the classes. I like the amount of cardio equipment. I joined the downtown gym so I can workout at any of them. I’ve been thinking about going somewhere else but yoga, kickboxing and whatever other class for free is nice.

Hael

shmack wrote >>
    i just canceled my planet fitness membership. the overemphasis on “judgement free” seemed fake and just plain annoying. yes, i am going to the gym to try to be svelte. that act is in and of itself self-judgment.
    i joined oxygen where i pay more ($35/month), for the pleasure of walking to the gym, and to be judged and shamed when i can’t do more than five push ups in a row. nothing like a little motivation to get off my plump ass.

LOL. I hear ya. Did you ever see the older dude in there that sports a protest shirt that says “Lunk Heads are People too” (something like that)

Still, $10 bucks a month, I can look past this silliness. (tonight is free pizza night)

jennyw
    Participant

I’ve never indulged in the food they offer (although it can be difficult to work out in a gym reeking of pizza). My dad and stepmom–who are crazy gym rats–were among the people who quit when the place became Planet Fitness. It would be nice to go to a place that offered classes, but $10 is hard for a poor writer to turn down.

Arena District Athletic Club. I have been a member here for 3 years and still absolutely love it! It is on the higher priced side at $68/month, but you cannot beat the convenience, cleanliness, and staff anywhere else. The price does include parking at an attached parking garage, towel service, a self service valet station in the restroom for toiletries, all classes are included, and a super friendly staff. The staff will all know you by name by your first few visits, plus they send out motivational e-mails personalized to you atleast once per month. This gym is not your typical mega-gym (if you will), but rather small and personal, yet enough space (10,000 sqft) to give you the room you need. The staff comes around every hour and cleans/sanitizes all of the equipment, and it is not super cruisy at all!! I cannot say enough good things about this place. Sorry about the run-ons, but it truly is a great place to workout !

:)

JonMyers
    Participant

Ditto, ditto – I love Arena District Athletic Club for everything you mentioned.

HeySquare
    Participant

I’ve been looking for a new gym, and I’ve been contemplating the Arena District Athletic Club. I went once as a guest and thought it was great. Nice to hear the good reviews.

I used to be a member at Lifestyle, but got tired of getting parking tickets. Since I changed jobs, the location just wasn’t working for me; however, the facilities were spacious, and the trainers were great. My membership there ran me about something like $35 a month.

I’ve also been looking at the gym at Grant Hospital. Their website says that it runs about $48 a month with parking. (I think $42 without parking)

I’m really waiting for the new Snap Fitness to open in German Village. That will be great.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Joining the RPAC at OSU now that it’s summer quarter.

Patch
    Participant

my wife and i belong to the ACC.

besides the great facilities (and pool), all the classes are included (yoga, spinning, etc.).

we pay approx 80/month, but it is well worth it especially since the whole family is included for that price.

Anaerobia

HeySquare wrote >>
    I’ve also been looking at the gym at Grant Hospital. Their website says that it runs about $48 a month with parking. (I think $42 without parking)
    I’m really waiting for the new Snap Fitness to open in German Village. That will be great.

It looks like Snap Fitness in GV is open. Has anyone tried it out? they have a free week membership right now.

I’m thinking about checking out Grant, especially if it’s $48 with parking. That is huge. I don’t need anymore parking tickets.

Arena District Club doesn’t sound bad but it is a bit more than I want to spend.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I had a membership to the Arena Athletic Club and concur, it is very nice, although $68 a month was bit much for me. The place was clean, not too packed and the staff was very friendly. Now, since I’m enrolled at OSU, my $82 quarterly fee gets me in RPAC. The place is awesome but packed all the time. I don’t know where you live but the new Short North Fitness looks like a stellar option though in the upper price ranges. Buy hey, you get what you pay for.

cc

People who live in the Short North and Harrison West should check out the Thompson Rec Center and the adjacent Aquatic (think pool) center. They are pretty nice amenities and ridiculously cheap. There are also others spread out throughout town and Mayor Coleman has promised to reopen the ones that were closed.

http://recparks.columbus.gov/RecCenters/RecCenters_28.asp

http://recparks.columbus.gov/RecCenters/RecCenters_34.asp

Columbus Aquatic Center: A Best Kept Swim Secret

I’m looking for a gym to join. My main requirement is that it have child care available at least some of the time. I’d love easy parking, too, so I don’t have to mess with the stroller thing. I live in Clintonville – so far I’m considering the North YMCA and OSU’s RPAC, though I don’t know about parking there. Thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: