Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How much do you pay for your gym membership?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How much do you pay for your gym membership?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

TaraK
    Participant

I’m trying to find a gym and they’re all so secretive about their monthly prices. I mean, who has time to go see them all in person JUST to find out the costs? If you could, tell me the following:

1. How much do you pay monthly? (Let me know if it includes anything extra.)

2. Start up fees?

3. Which gym/location do you use?

Much appreciated.

You might also want to look into other options. I think the Schiller Park rec center charges yearly what most other places charge per month. I’m lucky enough to have a gym at work so I can’t speak from experience either as per the quality you get for the price, but something like that may be worth considering.

TaraK
    Participant

TheOtherZach wrote >>
    You might also want to look into other options. I think the Schiller Park rec center charges yearly what most other places charge per month. I’m lucky enough to have a gym at work so I can’t speak from experience either as per the quality you get for the price, but something like that may be worth considering.

Yeah, their prices are very reasonable. If anyone has experience using that rec center, let me know. I’m interested in how open the facilities are. Since it has such low rates, I thought it might be swamped.

B_C_B

I pay $25 / month at Urban Active. I can go to any of their locations. That’s the best price I’ve heard of anyone getting at Urban Active, it was a special deal through the place I work. I think my start up fees might have been 40 bucks or so. Also, I’m not on any contract, I can just drop whenever I want. They have “one free month” deals all the time and you MUST bargain. Worst that can happen is they say no and you can come back another day.

mellotron
    Participant

Wife and I share a “family” YMCA membership for $56/month. Maybe mid-30s for an individual? Location Front and Long. We’re very satisfied.

JimSweeney
    Participant

planet fitness on indianola is $10/month!

Tenzo
    Participant

OSU Rec Center.

I don’t think you can find a better place.
    It’s something like $80 a quarter

honavery

YMCA for me also. I like that it’s a non-profit, I always feel like I’m being swindled at a for profit gym. I pay about $73 a month for 2 people…and I can use any of the central Ohio Y’s. There are like 10 of them, and they are all pretty nice. I mainly use the one downtown, but do go out to Gahanna to swim sometimes.

gramarye
    Participant

My apartment complex has a small gym, and there’s an exercise room in the basement at work, so I have no need for a standalone gym membership. However, the place across the street from me that’s about to open has announced an intended rate of $20/mo. with a 12-month contract.

Dcross

I go to Planet Fitness have been since it opened. It’s $10 a month or $20 for their special options. The price is great but there are too few weightlifting machines, or decent ones, and it is routinely too crowded – no matter the time – to get a lot of lifting or cardio accomplished.

On the other hand: It’s cheap and they give you pizza and bagels once a month. Also, don’t let the $10 a month fool anyone. They have a $50 fee once each year so it actually slightly hire…

joev
    Participant

Wouldn’t the free pizza and bagels negate the raison d’etre of a gym altogether? This seems like a raw deal to me.

Schiller rec center is something crazy cheap like $7 a month. Small, but not normally crowded.

OK, now I need a bagel.

joev wrote >>
    Wouldn’t the free pizza and bagels negate the raison d’etre of a gym altogether? This seems like a raw deal to me.

+1 Wouldn’t that be like a 5 cent draft night at an AA meeting?

Dcross

The places bills itself as a “judgment free zone.” So, guess the pizza just goes along with it. I’ve actually seen members come in just for the pizza and then leave.

Hael

JimSweeney wrote >>
    planet fitness on indianola is $10/month!

shhhh. its getting crazy crowded in there! (IIRC, there was a $50 start up fee) whats up with Mondays and Tuesday evenings after 5pm…then its a ghost town thru most of the rest of the week!?!

edit to add: free pizza is never a raw deal.

JonMyers
    Participant

They’re wheeling and dealing right now. I’ve been going to the Arena District Athletic club for about a year and a half now. I highly recommend it. It’s about $50/ month and they have classes galore if you don’t want to pay for a trainer. Great place and relatively Cha Chi free.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: