Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How many restaurants charge a fee to use a debit card?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining How many restaurants charge a fee to use a debit card?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 347 total)
  • Author

Andrew Hall

agtw31 wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I sincerely hope you never have an issue with your business where a customer is unsatisfied and chooses to ignore you and go online with their dissatisfaction instead.

this will never happen
    i put my customer’s satisfaction first,and i don’t play games with fees i have to pay that are associated with my business.

So you’ve never made a mistake of any kind? In the way off-chance you did, would you expect a chance to correct it before the customer went apeshit? That is the root issue of what was said. The restaurant in question may have a poor policy (which seemed like a good idea to them), a server who messed up implementing the policy or several other options. Instead of giving them a chance to fix or remedy, you complained here. Again, in the unlikely event your perfection lapses, I hope the customer gives you a chance to fix the problem before airing it out – a chance you didn’t give to others.

eta – the real test of a business (or a person) is how they correct the inevitable mistakes or problems.

A.

Parker
    Participant

Sure a business should include a full pricing upfront, but when do you ever see a sign that says, “hey, dummy, don’t forget to include tax in your calculations!” We should already know that there is a fee involved in using a credit card – Visa, Mastercard and Amex are not non profits, are they?

Interesting that people clamor to have a unique city, then berate a small business for voicing a valid complaint on a constraint that makes it difficult for them to do business. This does not make sense. Nor does it make sense to want a city full of chains so the cash flow can circulate once through the community and then leave to go to their corporate office and shareholders’ pockets (with a few “local” exceptions). If we all have a problem with this, then let’s just have Starbucks and Applebees up and down High and get it over with. They have enough variety of adequate options on their menus.

Parker
    Participant

Andrew Hall wrote >>

agtw31 wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I sincerely hope you never have an issue with your business where a customer is unsatisfied and chooses to ignore you and go online with their dissatisfaction instead.

this will never happen
    i put my customer’s satisfaction first,and i don’t play games with fees i have to pay that are associated with my business.

So you’ve never made a mistake of any kind? In the way off-chance you did, would you expect a chance to correct it before the customer went apeshit? That is the root issue of what was said. The restaurant in question may have a poor policy (which seemed like a good idea to them), a server who messed up implementing the policy or several other options. Instead of giving them a chance to fix or remedy, you complained here. Again, in the unlikely event your perfection lapses, I hope the customer gives you a chance to fix the problem before airing it out – a chance you didn’t give to others.
    eta – the real test of a business (or a person) is how they correct the inevitable mistakes or problems.
    A.

+1

rus
    rus
    Participant

SJT wrote >>
    More importantly, the way they implemented (without disclosing first) is definitely NOT cool.

That’s what bothers me as well.

agtw31

you seem to think i have to get registerred with come complaint bureau to get approval before i complain about a bullshit business practice.

that is pure arrogance.

to hell with that crap.

JonMyers
    Participant

First of all, we won’t have a city full of chains.

Secondly, it’s business. Business is unforgiving. That’s life. I’m glad business is competitive and fierce. I’m glad that markets tend to weed out the weak. Chains or no chains.

If the experience and product is better than a chain, businesses shouldn’t have to worry if they’re delivering something unique that people desire and value. Hell, I even put up with *some* asinine transaction policies. If it’s worth it.

Carrying $300 bucks to [url=http://www.peterluger.com/]Peter Luger’s[/url] for a yearly pilgrimage is a total pain the ass, but it’s Peter Lugers not Outback Steakhouse.

If an independent business is delivering the same old shit as the chains they should be very worried.

Andrew Hall

agtw31 wrote >>
    you seem to think i have to get registerred with come complaint bureau to get approval before i complain about a bullshit business practice.
    that is pure arrogance.
    to hell with that crap.

That is just a moronic response and has absolutely no relation to what anyone has said.

I would expect that you would attempt to rectify the situation with the manager and find out whether it was a mistake on the server’s part (not telling you in advance) or some other confusion or mishap. If so, your complaint was wrong about it being a bad business practice.
    A.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    that is pure arrogance.
    to hell with that crap.

Pure arrogance? From the guy who claims he will never make a mistake? Priceless

All anyone is saying is that common courtesy would have been to ask for someone who could actually speak about the policy-not the lowly server. Then complain. I have stated numerous times here that I have no problem with someone sharing a bad review or experience. It just makes it a better review or complaint if it included the response from the establishment as it allows one to better judge the situation.

I

shmack

JonMyers wrote >> Carrying $300 bucks to [url=http://www.peterluger.com/]Peter Luger’s[/url] for a yearly pilgrimage is a total pain the ass, but it’s Peter Lugers not Outback Steakhouse.

<actually,> Peter Luger’s does take credit cards… but only their [url=http://www.peterluger.com/carap.cfm]own.[/url] : o)

Andrew Hall

JonMyers wrote >>
    First of all, we won’t have a city full of chains.
    Secondly, it’s business. Business is unforgiving. That’s life. I’m glad business is competitive and fierce. I’m glad that markets tend to weed out the weak. Chains or no chains.
    If the experience and product is better than a chain, businesses shouldn’t have to worry if they’re delivering something unique that people desire and value. Hell, I even put up with *some* asinine transaction policies. If it’s worth it.
    Carrying $300 bucks to [url=http://www.peterluger.com/]Peter Luger’s[/url] for a yearly pilgrimage is a total pain the ass, but it’s Peter Lugers not Outback Steakhouse.
    If an independent business is delivering the same old shit as the chains they should be very worried.

Are you perfect, Jon? The issue at hand is also whether it was bad policy or a mistake made in implementing a policy. I have issue with anyone who doesn’t give any business (big or not) a chance to fix a mistake. Most problems are mistakes by people, not policy. Just as I expect to be given a chance to rectify problems, I give that to others. When it does turn out to be a policy which is the problem, I have no problem with exposing it.

The second part is dead-on – that Beechwold Diner is fundamentally fungible with Waffle House tells me that the business relies on cost and proximity as its draw, not anything special. A small business especially should focus on being special and different, delivering something that is not only competing on price.

A.

Roland
    Participant

rus wrote >>

Roland wrote >>
    I guess ignorance is bliss when your the customer. Don’t strain your brain!
    Taxes (etc) are also much more palatable when your money is taken out of your paycheck for you. The practice keeps the masses from revolting. Should you be mad at your employer?
    Maybe consumers should be outraged at credit card companies and their processing fees. Small businesses don’t have the leverage that large chains do at the negotiating table. Our local neighborhood entrepreneurs suffer. Why? So that Visa can run their countless feel good bullshit commercials throughout the Olympics?
    It’s too bad that places making the fee information and options available to their customers will sometimes lose customers as we see here. Rest assured that just around the corner, there’s a Crapplebee’s that will serve these discerning customers with a receipt simple enough as to not disturb them into a frenzy.

So, wanting to see the real price of an item before purchasing is akin to being a drooling moron.
    Do you know of local businesses which hold that attitude? Just makes shopping easier when I know who doesn’t want my business to start with.

I don’t support the notion of throwing in a charge that a customer in not aware of in advance. I do support the hanging of a sign at the entrance or something on the menu saying that customers paying cash will receive $x discount.

I believe that satisfies a real price requirement. Payment options should be as flexible as shipping options are.

Let me come up with a list of retailers that I loathe and I’ll get back to you. This would actually be as substantial as the unverified claims against the original business in this thread.

JonMyers
    Participant

I disagree with you guys.

Businesses have the same opportunity to [i]listen[/i] that we all do. Unfortunately, a business can’t expect the complaint process to be civil. It’s not. There are no rules for complaints. People even make shit up about competitors

Everyone is a critic and everyone has the tools to spout off the most minor of irritations. Yelp, Trip Advisor, FB Updates, Twitter, blogs, CU, etc.. That’s the way the world has de/evolved.

If a business isn’t actively listening, engaging and responding via these exact same mediums, they can’t get pissed when people share their true feelings.

agtw31

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

agtw31 wrote >>
    that is pure arrogance.
    to hell with that crap.

Pure arrogance? From the guy who claims he will never make a mistake? Priceless
    All anyone is saying is that common courtesy would have been to ask for someone who could actually speak about the policy-not the lowly server. Then complain. I have stated numerous times here that I have no problem with someone sharing a bad review or experience. It just makes it a better review or complaint if it included the response from the establishment as it allows one to better judge the situation.
    I

sorry,but i’ve decided to ignore your bullshit,because you’re obviously just looking for a frigging argument.

it seems to be your method.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

No, I just like to have all the facts.

Andrew Hall

JonMyers wrote >>
    I disagree with you guys.
    Businesses have the same opportunity to [i]listen[/i] that we all do. Unfortunately, a business can’t expect the complaint process to be civil. It’s not.
    Everyone is a critic and everyone has the tools to spout off the most minor of irritations. Yelp, Trip Advisor, FB Updates, Twitter, blogs, CU, etc.. That’s the way the world has de/evolved.
    If a business isn’t actively listening, engaging and responding via these exact same mediums, they can’t get pissed when people share their true feelings.

So if a customer of your has a less than desired experience, you don’t want a chance to fix the problem? It is OK to just go complain on the Internet?

That is being a bad customer. Period. As well as a bad human being. People make mistakes and will always do so. Just as I expect to be given a chance to fix mine (or fix ones that aren’t mine to make my customer’s happy, even fix ones that are the [i]customer’s fault[/i]), I give that courtesy to others.

Yelp and the like are making bad customers as they reinforce and even make socially acceptable very cowardly passive-aggressive behavior – don’t complain at the time, go safely whine on the Internet. It is not improving service either as it seldom gives actionable feedback for a business to improve.

A.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 347 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.