Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How many restaurants charge a fee to use a debit card?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining How many restaurants charge a fee to use a debit card?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 347 total)
  • Author

agtw31

i went to get a bite to eat,and the waitress at the place i went said they are now cracking customers for a 50 cent fee if they use a debit card.

what is this bullshit?

this was a place i usually go to once a week,but not anymore.

i told the waitress the restaurant just lost at least $900 worth of business from me this year,and she lost at least $180 in tips,just so the restaurant could make $20.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please, tell us the restaurant!

agtw31

beechwold diner

she didnt tell me about the surcharge until she brought me the bill

according to Visa rules,she was supposed to tell me before i even orderred

lifeliberty
    Participant

What the restaurant is doing is fair. they aren’t making money on that .50$, they are just passing on the costs of CC use to their customers. Some places won’t even accept CC for this reason, one example is WildFlower Cafe on Indianola. they don’t accept CC. They told me to go to the ATM at UDF next door (which of course is not my bank’s= Convenience charge)

I say restaurants should either charge a fee for CC use or give a discount for cash purchases. I try to pay cash whenever I can because then the restaurant gets to keep more of the money.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

i have worked in many, many restaurants and have never heard of such a thing! In fact, we never even differentiate between debit cards and credit cards; they all go into the same pile.

in fact, and i might be totally ignorant here, but I thought it was cheaper for the business if people used debit cards.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

[Looks like some beat me to it]

This has been discussed here before. Some of our local retailers and restauranteurs can speak further but there are associated fees, depending on the processing company, of taking debit and credit. It’s why you see many smaller companies having a minimum purchase fee to use plastic, so they can cover the cost.

Let’s not even talk about the fall out a business can suffer if, when they do offer the convenience of plastic at no cost to you, something goes wrong (like getting hacked). Although the problem may be further up the chain, it’s ultimately the small business owner, without the resources, that gets stuck with the image and financial issues to clean up.

There is probably good reason this place did it. Maybe their processor changed terms, upped fees, etc.

agtw31

so can i charge them for the gas i used to drive to their restaurant?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

And just to throw this out there…

Did you speak to anyone above the waitress? A manager/supervisor?

Or are you just going to berate the server and trash a place online over something that probably could have been answered on the spot pretty quickly?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m fairly certain that businesses are supposed to build any sort of fees (credit card or otherwise) into their pricing from the start, and that adding on fees afterward might not be legal (I’m not 100% certain on that though, and someone else can probably clarify that).

From what I’ve heard in passing (again, not 100% sure) is that the way to get around this is to offer a [i]discount[/i] for checks paid in cash, rather than an extra charge for checks payed with debit/credit cards.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

A whole 50 cents? The horror.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    so can i charge them for the gas i used to drive to their restaurant?

Where does that make any sense into this?

rus
    rus
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    beechwold diner

Thanks. That goes on the “never visit list” just on principal.

agtw31

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    And just to throw this out there…
    Did you speak to anyone above the waitress? A manager/supervisor?
    Or are you just going to berate the server and trash a place online over something that probably could have been answered on the spot pretty quickly?

i don’t know what your problem is,and dont really give a shit.

but i didnt berate the waitress.

and im not trashing the place,im stating a fact.

Visa rules i found pertaining convenience fees are:

1.Must be disclosed to customers as a charge for alternate payment channel convenience

2.Is applied only to non face-to-face transactions (There is an exception – Please see Visa Tax Payment Program)

3.Must be a flat or fixed amount regardless of the amount of payment due

4.Is included as part of the total transaction
    Cannot be added to recurring transactions

5.Is assessed by the merchant that provides goods and services to the cardholder and not by a third party

6.The customer must be given the opportunity to cancel prior to the completion of the transaction

Anonymous
    Inactive

What happens if they run the card as a credit card (you have to sign instead of use your personal p.i.n. number)?

lifeliberty
    Participant

rus wrote >>

agtw31 wrote >>
    beechwold diner

Thanks. That goes on the “never visit list” just on principal.

well if the principal is not going to places that pass the cost of doing business on to their customers, you must have a HUGE list!

edit: I just don’t get the rub here.. Sure most places hide the fact that there is a fee that they must pay and include that in the cost of their goods/services. except you pay that fee for both cash and CC transactions every time. and this place was upfront that there is a fee instead of just upmarking all of their items by .50$

and it’s not even .50$ per item, it’s .50$ per transaction convenience charge. I’d gladly pay .50$ instead of having to run to an atm. and hopefully that is my atm or I’ll get charged by that banks $2 convenience charge plus whatever my bank charges on top of that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 347 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.