Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How Does Your Garden Grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 834 total)
  • Author

shmack wrote >>
    hey folks, i’ve got a question for you…
    last year, B made us some containers for tomatoes/peppers/shiso/nasturtiums. we filled it with potting mix from Concrete Jungle and kinda just left it as is. can we re-use this stuff for our containers this year? or do we have to empty them out and buy new potting mix? tia!

Do not reuse the soil for the tomatoes or peppers. They will do much better in fresh soil. Many people rotate their vegetables for this reason.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I’m making a salad/herb garden on my fence with this little trick…

I bought seeds for parsley, basil, dill, kale, spinach, mesclun, a fancy lettuce mix, ashley lettuce, cilantro, chives, and microgreens. I can’t wait to start planting it up when this asstastic weather stops.

Dammit…forgot to grab some mint seeds…

LauraA

That’s cool lew! I don’t have a fence so everything is in pots. I am currently growing cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, two types of lettuce, poppies (cause they are my favorite), sunflowers (from seeds, this is my first attempt at this ever and they are growing!), and a little herb garden of oregano, basil, chives, anda few others that are escaping me at the moment… I’m sure I’ll plant some more things in the next few weeks.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I might try again at tomatoes in pots. I’ve never been good at them, but I might give it one more try. I have some anaheim and jalapeno peppers I’m going to do in small pots. I can’t have too many pots around with two nosy pig dogs running around.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

At my place: chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, and deer.

At Linda’s place: Chihuahuas and thriving plants.

joev
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

If you know someone who has mint (or someone who wouldn’t notice if you snipped a few sprigs when their back was turned) you can set the sprigs in a glass of water and wait three or four days for them to root a little bit. Mint seeds take 4-EVA to sprout, but starting from a cutting is way faster and easier.

columbusfoodie
    Participant

joev wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

If you know someone who has mint (or someone who wouldn’t notice if you snipped a few sprigs when their back was turned) you can set the sprigs in a glass of water and wait three or four days for them to root a little bit. Mint seeds take 4-EVA to sprout, but starting from a cutting is way faster and easier.

That, and only plant mint in a container away from everything else. It sounds out runners that will take over everything if you let it.

LauraA

Yep, I got some of my herbs from my mom. I’ll see if she has any mint for you lew. Last I knew she was battling it from taking over one of her flower beds.

joev
    Participant

LauraA wrote >>
    Yep, I got some of my herbs from my mom. I’ll see if she has any mint for you lew. Last I knew she was battling it from taking over one of her flower beds.

If it were socially acceptable, my whole front yard would be mint.

I planted it in the least hospitable spot I have – in the sideyard, under the leaky gutter. On rainy days like today, it gets soaked. Anything else would have died long ago. But most of the plants are doing really well. Lots of juleps and mojitos in my future.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I do remember that from my last pot of mint I grew now that you mention it…Perhaps it gets its own separate pot then…and anyone having mint snippings they wanna throw my way, I’d be happy to accept.

racheltb
    Participant

I have mint if you want it and also cherry tomato seedlings. South cville, send me a message for address. :)

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

kcrissinger wrote >>

They look great! Did you leave the northwest downspout open for the rain garden?

Yes still want to do that rain garden, I’ve sent you a email by the way.

Patch
    Participant

osulew wrote >>
    I’m making a salad/herb garden on my fence with this little trick…

I bought seeds for parsley, basil, dill, kale, spinach, mesclun, a fancy lettuce mix, ashley lettuce, cilantro, chives, and microgreens. I can’t wait to start planting it up when this asstastic weather stops.

I’m totally stealing this idea!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Steal away! I stole it too! :)
    This is my other patio project.

Twixlen
    Participant

osulew wrote >>
    Steal away! I stole it too! :)
    This is my other patio project.

Oh. Ma. Gawd. This seriously makes me swoon!!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 834 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: