Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How Does Your Garden Grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 834 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Franklin Soil and Water Conservation District

yurtgirl
    yurtgirl
    Participant

I’ve got radishes coming up (from plants that went to seed last year), some onions made it thru the winter and last week i planted chard, lettuce and spinach in my cold frame. Can’t wait to see what pops!

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Shrug.. So I got tired of the weeds along the fence that my landlord never cuts down, so I spaded up a lot of it, went through and weeded, and now I’m expecting a delivery of compost.

The question is, what to put in. I have 2 5’x15′ beds. One bed gets direct sunlight in the afternoon and the other has sunlight starting midmorning and all through the day.

I was thinking herbs, lettuce and chard in the more shady bed, and my neighbors have some sunflowers and I’d like some heirloom tomatoes in the sunny bed.

Any thoughts?

Nate

Lakee911 wrote >>
    I have a fear that there is a lot of lead in my soil. I have a small yard and there isn’t many areas that are not up against the house, an accessory structure with peeled paint, etc. Before homes were built, a clay sewer pipe company was in my area, so I don’t know if they could have contributed too. This is all just speculation though.
    Has anyone who lives in the city had their soil tested?

I work in a lab that does heavy metal testing on soil. For just lead, it would be pretty cheap (like $10-12 I think). If you have any specific questions about testing, let me know.

joev
    Participant

@michaelcoyote

The shadier bed can probably also handle cruciferous veggies like kale, cabbage, broccoli, radishes, turnips, tat soi and arugula. I’ve started up a blog about veggie gardening in small spaces. Hopefully you’ll find some ideas – my yard is the same way, with one side mostly shade, and the other sunnier. Imperfect Urban Farm

Also, check out Hounds in the Kitchen[/url] for great Columbus city farming ideas.

sorry I need a course in how to upload photos…sorry

futureman
    Participant

Is it time yet to starting planting zucchini/peppers/tomatoes or should I wait? Just finished prepping the cedar boxes and I’m getting eager to start planting.

racheltb
    Participant

Thanks for the shoutout, Joev. :)

I have already planted: radishes, peas, beans, kale, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, asparagus, onions and some herbs. Strawberries, raspberries, fruit trees, and garlic are all growing from previous year plantings. I see birdseed volunteer sunflowers popping up all over.

I started paste tomatoes and red peppers indoors. I’ll pick up two or three more heirloom varieties at a nursery.

I will direct sow squash, more peas and beans, and corn around May 1. I’m a risk taker when it comes to the traditional May 15 frost free date because I can always cover if there’s a hard frost warning.

joev
    Participant

@futureman – this year, it got really warm really early. You could try putting in those crops now and take a risk, or wait a month and be sure they will grow well. Tomatoes and peppers are tropical plants that love heat, and don’t grow too quickly in cool temperatures. You’re honestly not losing that much growing time while temps go down to the 30s and mid-40s overnight

I’ll probably wait at least three weeks before I plant out tomatoes, eggplant and peppers – but probably four weeks until we pass our average last frost date of May 15. But you might try zucchini and cucumbers now.

You could put in some lettuce, arugula and radishes now, which all take about only 4-5 weeks from seed to maturity, to get some produce out of your garden in the meantime.

futureman
    Participant

thanks joev, appreciate it!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The sage and rosemary that overwintered inside are back out, and the dwarf sage survived the winter in the herb bed. I have dill and cilantro sprouting, and two kinds of parsley in the herb bed – all of that can take a moderate zing of frost. Under lights, I have pepper seedlings but it’s too soon to set them out. Plus if I set them out to harden, there’s a risk that the squirrels will dig them out of their pots.

I want rain! I have tilled beds that need to settle.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Nate wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>
    I have a fear that there is a lot of lead in my soil. I have a small yard and there isn’t many areas that are not up against the house, an accessory structure with peeled paint, etc. Before homes were built, a clay sewer pipe company was in my area, so I don’t know if they could have contributed too. This is all just speculation though.

I work in a lab that does heavy metal testing on soil. For just lead, it would be pretty cheap (like $10-12 I think). If you have any specific questions about testing, let me know.

What does it cost to test for a range of heavy metals? Cadmium or Arsenic? I’ve had questions about test results, is it true there are different standards of safe depending on the expected usuage? Play areas and backyards are higher than ag. standards, what is the organic standard in ppm.

I’ve heard folks get results that say safe/unsafe, but do not really list the ppm’s. I’ve heard if you want to do bio remediation on soils w/ heavy metals ( most urban soils) you can plant mustards and sunflowers, harvest all parts of the plant and throw them away ( do not compost, as that returns the metals to the soils.)

Mercurius
    Participant

lazyfish wrote >>

Nate wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>

What does it cost to test for a range of heavy metals? Cadmium or Arsenic? I’ve had questions about test results, is it true there are different standards of safe depending on the expected usuage? Play areas and backyards are higher than ag. standards, what is the organic standard in ppm.
    I’ve heard folks get results that say safe/unsafe, but do not really list the ppm’s. I’ve heard if you want to do bio remediation on soils w/ heavy metals ( most urban soils) you can plant mustards and sunflowers, harvest all parts of the plant and throw them away ( do not compost, as that returns the metals to the soils.)

Cornell University
    These guys are good and will do it for $12[/url]

columbusfoodie
    Participant

Hmm, runners from my strawberry raised box seem to have embedded themselves into the ground around the box. I need some advice – should I cut and destroy and dig out the runners, or let them provide me with tasty strawberries first before destroying them? I’m torn…

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I wonder if we should have some sort of CU meet that’s a gardeners’ exchange of plants and seeds – or has something like that been done already?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 834 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: