Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How Does Your Garden Grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 834 total)
  • Author
    Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Nice! What did you do with the first harvest?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Nice! What did you do with the first harvest?

still in the freezer :p

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m way behind in clearing out last year’s dead stuff, mainly because it was covered in snow for so long. So far the aconite and snowdrops have had their fun, now the little grape hyacinths are just starting. Those things are like ground cover here; I find the little bulbs almost everywhere I dig.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    derm
    derm
    Participant

Peas in today. Onions too I hope. For anyone looking for decent plants for cheap the Sutherlands on Clime has 4 packs of lettuce and cabbage family for 0.89c for a four pack.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Yesterday I was able to get in my seed potatoes, also planted some beets, potted up some spinach, collard and kale greens.

Thinking about trying some mushrooms for the first time. We have a shaded area behind a shed that I think would make a good spot. Anyone ever grow mushrooms?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Three Creeks Park has carpets of Virginia Bluebells along the bottom lands near the confluence.

Pablo
    Participant

Turns out next Saturday is the 10th annual World Naked Gardening Day – who knew!

http://www.wngd.org/ (NSFW – Obviously)

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Will check that link out later haha.

I have a very small area in which to do some gardening, and it’s all concrete, so I rely upon planters (hanging and traditional). I have a small area where I’ve planted two hydrangeas, and those do well enough, but the past two summers, I have planted basil, thyme, and mint in the hanging planters, and they’ve flourished for a month but fizzled by the time July rolls around.

Any advice on what I should be planting? They’re getting mostly shade all day, which is surely part of the problem.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Most herbs love sun, full sun, so at least 6 hours a day more would be even better. Are you set on growing herbs? Or willing to look at other shade loving plants?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I was set on growing herbs, hence my attempts to force those square pegs into round holes.

But I’ll grow anything…

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Maybe try a bigger pot. Those hanging pots are not usually very large and the plant may just need a little more space. We grow all of our herbs in containers and I was never able to get them to over-winter until I placed them in larger pots. I’m talking at least 5 gallons.
    Parsley, anise hyssop, lemon balm and shiso are some herbs that will grow in low light areas that receive only a couple of hours of sun daily.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The volunteer dill plants coming up in the whiskey barrel are delicious, so say the swallowtail caterpillars.

Attachments:

TomB
    Participant

Turning my lawn into a raised-bed vegetable garden. I hope more gardeners will do this.

Attachments:
    Porky
    Porky
    Participant

The volunteer dill plants coming up in the whiskey barrel are delicious, so say the swallowtail caterpillars.

Yep and they love the fennel too, have noticed 2 swallowtail caterpillars just this week.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I got a nice big pumpkin for Halloween, but ended up carving a different one. So, the holiday was over and we still had this big pumpkin … and Linda’s 6-year-old grandson … so his dad took it out to the back patio slab, and smashed it.

We gave the boy an old broken shovel with no handle, and he DESTROYED the innocent fruit with enthusiasm. That was funny in itself. It left fragments and seeds scattered around.

But wait, there’s more! Then came the squirrels, carrying the seeds away to who knows where. Maybe next year my neighbors anywhere within 50 – 100 yards will wonder how the heck they got a pumpkin vine.

Viewing 15 posts - 811 through 825 (of 834 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: