Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How Does Your Garden Grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 834 total)
  • Author

shmack

I have been using a Worm Factory (or something very similar) for the past two months. I’ve managed to completely compost one tray so far but I find that it isn’t able to handle all the food waste my household of 2.5 generates (we eat A LOT of fruits and veggies).

I like that it is both a worm bin and a storage container for compost. I like that I don’t have to spend too much time rescuing my worms before I make a compost tea. And I like that it has good drainage.

Ideally, I would make my own worm bin, with different layers and drainage, not TOO large, but definitely larger than my current one. I still recommend the Worm Factory but if you have to tools to make a good bottom (mostly holes) above the collection tray, go with a homemade bin.

Dust

The balance of moisture is the key in any worm bin. The drainage from the bin is not actually worm tea as it is anaerobic . Worm tea is easily made using some castings from the bin. Castings and water 5gallon bucket and add a air pump ( fish tank type) for 24- 48 hrs. The air feeds the microbes and allows them to multiply. Some add molasses to speed up but not needed. Same deal with compost tea. Can be used straight or diluted but once air is removed should use it ASAP.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Many of the peonies here are about to pop and there’s rain in the forecast – time to set stakes and string to keep them from face-planting. Mom would use those ugly metal hoops but I much prefer string.

I have a crapload of those hoops if anyone is interested in them. They could support other plants like peppers.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

In a strange twist of events I have had some of my potted vegetables stolen from behind my garage the other day. I noticed yesterday when I got home that I was missing some greenery. 3 buckets of carrots and a bucket of lettuce have been taken. The other buckets that I have out there, that haven’t sprouted anything yet, were left untouched. I hope whoever took them actually puts them to good use. I knew I was taking a risk by putting them out near the alley, but it’s the only available space I have.

Dust

City rabbits are very strong and bold. Wrascally Wrabbits! ;)

Schoolboy
    Participant

Has anyone had their garden tested for lead?

I’m worried that the nearby area where the previous owner burned their trash may have had toxic rundown into my garden.

If so, where did you take the soil samples and how much was it?

I’ve tried the ever powerful google, but didn’t find much more than mail in locations.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

murfmurphy said:
    In a strange twist of events I have had some of my potted vegetables stolen from behind my garage the other day. I noticed yesterday when I got home that I was missing some greenery. 3 buckets of carrots and a bucket of lettuce have been taken. The other buckets that I have out there, that haven’t sprouted anything yet, were left untouched. I hope whoever took them actually puts them to good use. I knew I was taking a risk by putting them out near the alley, but it’s the only available space I have.

The entire bucket or just the veggies?

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

Porky said:
    The entire bucket or just the veggies?

They took the entire bucket. That’s what’s most upsetting. I don’t care about the seeds, they were cheap. I don’t care about the buckets, I got them for free from the Kroger bakery. They took my dirt. That’s what makes me mad.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I have two little parsley plants in a pot with some basil. So pretty, especially with the black swallowtail butterfly fluttering around the parsley.

Wait a minute, what about last year when the parsley was mobbed by striped caterpillars?

Google google parsley is in the carrot family, hosts to the black swallowtail.

So I guess I’ll be eating store-bought parsley while these go through their life cycle. Last year they swarmed the plants but did not destroy them, and at a certain time they all vanished, and I got my parsley back for the rest of the season.

SusanB
    Participant

Something is getting my strawberries. I put beer out in jar caps but I didn’t find any dead slugs. Could it be birds or squirrels? If so will netting work?

jillg
    Participant

I put netting over our strawberries and so far they have been okay.

jillg
    Participant

Murfmurphy – that’s too bad about your dirt. :(

SusanB
    Participant

Netting it is then. Damn critters!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Watch out with netting, birds can get tangled in it, check it frequently.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Damned red aphids. I’m hoping insecticidal soap and a liberal dusting of diatomaceous earth will do in the little bastards.

Apart from the standard planted stuff – heavy on the perennials – this spring we went a little over-the-top into container gardening on the front patio. Oakland Nursery gets way too much of my money. Anyway, so far so good, but for the aphids, which I’ll eradicate if it’s the last thing I do. Last fall, I planted a Japanese maple and a Korean stewartia in the back yard, and both seem pretty happy.

One last word: garlic. I highly recommend growing your own (not the ubiquitous, boring variety you get at the grocery store). Very easy, and you get to dine on scapes mid-summer.

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 834 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION