Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How Does Your Garden Grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 834 total)
  • Author

somertimeoh
    Participant

Anne, that’s awesome and what I was looking for. I guess I’m just afraid if I wait until June it will be too late for this year. Still going to sign up though. I like supporting these groups that bring us this information.

Growing your own Food and Going Green
    June 5 – Franklin Park Conservatory | Columbus
    Learn how to grow and preserve food grown in your own back yard! Or, if you don’t have a backyard, that’s OK, too! This session will be jam packed with ideas on how to enjoy local foods this season no matter how much space you have to work with (a backyard or back patio). You’ll also hear new techniques to be more green!

kcrissinger

Somer,

What do you want to grow? We can start there and then I can start asking you more pertinent questions from there.

K

DonnaTate

Oh man, this got me so excited that I went to a gardening store and bought some veggies to plant. Woo hoo!!

shmack

Mercurius wrote >>
    Time to buy your seeds. Many things need seeded indoors come late March.
    I’m buying mostly from Seed Savers[/url] and John Scheeper’s Kitchen Garden Seeds.

Thanks Merc, I’ve gainfully spent the last 30 mins daydreaming about seeds and delicious veggies.

Somer, we did container gardening last year too but we were ridiculously greedy. We had four tomato plants, three peppers, four nasturtiums, three basils, and three shiso plants in maybe 8 sqft. Our planties weren’t the happiest and our “patio” doesn’t have the best light. I think your outdoor space would work really well provided that you have full on sunlight for a good 6 hours.

This year, I’m going to reign it in. One, maybe two, sungolds and jalapenos; one brandywine; two basils, one shiso, one thyme, and that’s it. Serca Acres is scaling back. : o)

labi
    Participant

Mercurius wrote >>
    I’m buying mostly from Seed Savers[/url] and John Scheeper’s Kitchen Garden Seeds.

Pinetree Garden Seeds at https://www.superseeds.com/

Their seed packets are a little smaller than some, so good for smaller gardens. Plus it means there are lots and lots of things you can get for under $1.50/pack. I’ve bought from them for years.

NitaW

Anne wrote >>
    Here are some upcoming classes I just found out about today. I think they sound cool. I would like to grow some raspberries soon.

Black raspberries are one of my favorite things about Ohio summers! I planted a single plant in my previous garden and I miss it so much. The first couple of years yielded no more than garden snacks, but I actually harvested a cup or so a day by year 3, and eventually ~ a pint. You really do need to watch where you plant and be willing to prune or you could have a prickly mess in short time. Downside…two cats decided to hide their litters in my berry patch one summer. I did, however, find homes for 7 cats :)

racheltb
    Participant

<shameless plugs> I am teaching an urban edible gardening class at Greenovate on March 30 from 7 -8 pm. I’ll cover basics of container gardens, potato towers, raised beds and other techniques that make the most of small spaces. It’s free, no reservations required.

I’m also leading a ‘plant your own salad container’ workshop on April 12 at 5:30 pm at Whetstone shelter through Food Matters Columbus, a meetup group. There are a few spots left for $15/container + $10/yr meetup fees. http://www.meetup.com/FMColumbus/calendar/12692072/

I would entertain doing another container class if there’s interest.

tourist19
    Participant

labi wrote >>

Mercurius wrote >>

Pinetree Garden Seeds at https://www.superseeds.com/
    Their seed packets are a little smaller than some, so good for smaller gardens. Plus it means there are lots and lots of things you can get for under $1.50/pack. I’ve bought from them for years.

My mom has always sworn by Pinetree and Johnny’s[/url].

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

When Grandfather had the top floor of a house on N Warren, he grew tomatoes in containers on the roof deck.

Back then, the containers were the steel buckets that driveway sealer came in.

Patch
    Participant

Porky wrote >>
    Container gardening is easy and ideal for limited space.
    You control everything in a container garden, from the soil, to the nutrients to the location.
    You can grow just about anything in a container.
    We grow lettuce in containers.
    We also grow tomatoes and all kinds of peppers in pots.

Porky, any idea what size these containers are?

Thanks!

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Not the actual gallon size per se but they are the pots from trees. I’m guesssing 20-30 gallon container. Our friends @ Dills Greenhouse will give us a couple of the left over containers they had for young trees. They work really well for tomatoes, I’ve found the bigger the pot the better for those guys. Cuts down on watering which is the biggest complaint from new container gardeners.
    They are very similar to these

somertimeoh
    Participant

Shmack, I don’t get direct sunlight after all. I watched it yesterday and nothing. Good for my outdoor beer fridge, bad for growing. I’m guessing this makes my garden a no-go. Sad face.

kcrissinger

somertimeoh wrote >>
    Shmack, I don’t get direct sunlight after all. I watched it yesterday and nothing. Good for my outdoor beer fridge, bad for growing. I’m guessing this makes my garden a no-go. Sad face.

Not yet….the sun still will be moving northward as we get closer to summer. Which direction is your main sun obstruction?

somertimeoh
    Participant

My apt building runs east-west and it’s 2 stories. My patio is on the north side of the building. The patio is only about 8 – 10 feet deep. There’s a geometry problem here. I knew I should have paid more attention in that class!!

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Half of our garden is really shady — but I have found that mesclun mix/ arugula will grow well in the shady area, so you might have some luck with that.

If anyone has any ideas for other vegetables that can cope with shade I would love to know.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 834 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: