Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How Does Your Garden Grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 834 total)
  • Author
    murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

alexs said:
    Hah, I have pineapple/hab sauce in the fridge.

I’ve made many hab sauces over the years with various thick bases. I’ve used carrot juice, and/or onions, or pineapple, or yellow winter squash. I placed second in the North Market hot sauce contest with a hab sauce thickened with rasins and prunes. Could have gone into tamarind with that one.

That sounds like something the CIA would torture terrorists with. Don’t get me wrong, it sounds delicious, but that feels a little cruel.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

As I have said in the past, “I don’t know if this is a recipe or a curse, but when you’re working with habs, what’s the difference?”

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

shmack said:
    i suspect is fusarium wilt. can anyone confirm for me? i cloned a friend’s plant and am trying to figure out if i can put it in one of the containers i used for the infected plants.

It sure looks like it to me.
    I would not use the same container, it’s my understanding that fusarium is a soil-borne pathogen, which can live in the soil for long periods of time, so I would start anew with a new container, new soil, etc.
    It’s also important to clean up all the dead plant material, I would not compost it, throw is away or burn it.
    Good Luck!

Jay Schmidt

Just picked my first “hab” from the garden yesterday. I geek out over them because they are so versatile, plus I give them to a friend who uses them in a homemade tequila mix.

Jay Schmidt

Porky that tomato is the truth and your habanero peppers look stellar. Nice work.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Jay Schmidt said:
    Just picked my first “hab” from the garden yesterday. I geek out over them because they are so versatile, plus I give them to a friend who uses them in a homemade tequila mix.

Yep, done that too. Use a smoked hab and the tequila picks up a smoky flavor that will remind you of scotch.

ETA they do not need long to infuse, maybe a day.

Strange, I like peppers and I like vodka, but I can’t gag down pepper vodka.

jillg
    Participant

Squash bugs. I had my first experience with those this year. What the heck? There were at least a hundred of them on my zucchini plant, and then it was dead within a day or two.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

It has been a really bad year for bugs.
    Why is it that the pests seem to be the ones who thrive when conditions are not ideal?
    Butterfly numbers are down, bee’s have taken a beating but those darn pests, more of them than ever.
    I assume it has to do with the mild winter, followed by a really hot, dry summer.

ricospaz
    Participant

I have some sort of mold on the leaves of my zucchini plants, and front end rot. I guess no zucchini this year, but the plants are flowering like a mother…

jillg
    Participant

It’s been a weird gardening year for me. I usually have the worst time with cucumbers, yet those were super productive this year. For some reason I was thinking they wouldn’t do well with the heat, but they were fine.

shmack

Porky said:
    It sure looks like it to me.
    I would not use the same container, it’s my understanding that fusarium is a soil-borne pathogen, which can live in the soil for long periods of time, so I would start anew with a new container, new soil, etc.
    It’s also important to clean up all the dead plant material, I would not compost it, throw is away or burn it.
    Good Luck!

Thanks Porky! I’ve got a new container and new soil, and have trashed all the plant material, soil. I just hope that it isn’t air-borne cuz I’ve got the old containers stored about 10 feet away. :o/

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Yesterday I took a trash can out to the garden, and stuffed it with vines. It’s like pulling a green carpet off of the gardens.

One of them is bindweed:
    http://www.tlehcs.com/question%20of%20the%20week/archive%20questions/Weeds/controlling%20vine%20weeds.htm

But by far my biggest problem is honeyvine milkweed

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

But those butterflies sure love the Milkweed :)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

They like the flowers, but they do not lay eggs on this kind of milkweed. The leaves never have insect holes. It is not an erect plant, but a strangling vine. The seeds and pods do look exactly like milkweed.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Oh okay I thought Milkweed was Milkweed, thanks for the clarification.

On another note, I expected the Habanero’s to be hotter this year but Owww Weee!!! They are on FIRE! I made batch of jam on Sunday and of course used gloves, opened window etc. but the fumes were still so hot they burned my respiratory system. I’ve not had a chance to try the jam yet but I have a feeling it’s gonna be a hot one this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 834 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: