Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How Does Your Garden Grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 834 total)
  • Author
    Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Good Luck Alex, keep us posted on how your experiment goes.

Speaking of rain, you know who hasn’t minded, the leafy greens, doing really well…

tourist19
    Participant

Wow! Your lettuce looks wonderful Porky.

I am jealous of everyone getting in their gardens. I had ankle surgery and am not mobile enough to get out there :-( Looks like I’m going to gardening on a small scale this year.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

GRRRRRR this morning I found one of the little habaneros bitten off at ground level and half-buried in loose soil.

Time to start scent-claiming the gardens after dark again. Maybe I should dedicate a watering can for discreet daytime application.

In other news, the swamp milkweed and butterfly weed seeds from 2009 sprouted. Some super chile seedlings survived a bare-root translpant and they bounced back happily. The cilantro also sprouted. Everything else that I planted recently has been more or less in suspended animation in this cool weather.

I’m experimenting with the plentiful garlic chives, doing my usual chop, dry, and blend with salt. It releases a lot of fragrance as it dries, but once in the blend (with salt only) I don’t really taste it very much. Chopped fresh in a salad, it’s pretty intense. The greens worked well in a shrimp-shell stock.

I wonder, couldn’t the white parts go through a juicer to make garlic chive juice similar to onion juice?

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Here’s what some nearby folk have to say about growing food.

Derek Lory, who runs Helping Hands Community Garden on E. Hudson near Medary has got an herb spiral going, something he also refers to as a mini Tower of Babel.

Audio recorded talks with Columbus growers

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

My wife and I are trying out square foot gardening this year. We have a 6×12 garden in our backyard that we have broken out into 12″ x 12″ squares. We have 4 brussel sprout plants, 5 iceberg lettuce, 6 squares of carrots (16 plants per square), 6 squares of spinach (9 seeds per square), 6 squares of green beans (4 per), 6 squares onion (4 per) and 3 of basil (1 per). We have also planted some peppers and tomatoes in some open areas of the regular landscaping, and have 4 more pepper plats that will be going into the garden. We have squash and zucchini taking up 3’x3′ corners of the garden as well. We’re also trying potatoes in tubs this year. We’ve never tried it before, but have heard good things.

labi
    Participant

Verrrrry excited about getting outside this weekend! Hope to be able to post some before and after photos once the camera batteries recover from all the warehouse fire photography this week.

labi
    Participant

Porky wrote >>
    Speaking of berries, why didn’t anyone tell me what weeds the raspberries would become? It’s pretty crazy but they are trying to take over the garden, having to constantly pull them. We built a little trellis for them and ran some wire back and forth, kinda like a telephone pole, to try and manage them but they are still all kinds of crazy.

There was a guy at a community meeting a couple months ago who was suggesting turning part of our small city park into a raspberry patch. My first thought was “have you ever GROWN raspberries?”

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

This morning finds another pepper lost to the rabbits. Or maybe there’s a pepper growing in Heaven now.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

The lettuce, spinach and mustard greens are doing great. Already have some cilantro and mustard starting to bolt.

Cookie

I had no idea that parsley could bolt.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>
    I had no idea that parsley could bolt.

Parsley is biennial, leaves on the first year and flowerstalks on the second year. Same with the garlic mustard.

Cookie

Weird. I think I have had them both in my garden for four years.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

So if I wanted to put in a small garden, what’s right for this time of year going into the next few months? Our backyard faces east, so we get some great morning sun. Thinking of 1-2 small dwarf fruit trees to shade our bay window. Wondering what else is good for a later start.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

And there came upon the Land, a plague of baby Rabbits.

And they were cute and fuzzy and voracious.

And the People cried out, Where have our Pepper Plants gone?

And the People rose, and went to the Cabinet, and retrieved a Jar of ground Pepper.

And the People cast the Pepper upon the Land, cautious that the Wind might not take it to the Eye.

And the People made Bunny cry.

Yea, so is the Power of the Pod, it maketh the Innocent weep, and the Wicked smile.

labi
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>
    Weird. I think I have had them both in my garden for four years.

I don’t know about garlic mustard, but I’ve had patches of parsley go on for years without much intervention from me. Sometimes I think the plants do come back after flowering, but more often I think they seed themselves after flowering, and what you see coming back in the third spring is those new seedling plants.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 834 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: