Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How Does Your Garden Grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 834 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Just thought I’d post a lil update of my shoe organizer garden. I’ve got microgreens sprouting at the top and baby lettuces on the bottom rows…I’ll be re-sowing those all summer as I pick them. You can’t see in the pic, but my chives are sprouting weeeeeee sprouts on the top and either my basil or cilantro is sprouting on the second row…can’t remember what order I planted things…guess I’ll see when they come up more. ooops. :) I have kale, elephant dill, spinach, and peppers going into pots tonight.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

We got our small garden in the ground yesterday. I know we are a little late for some stuff, but oh well.

2 kinds of tomatoes
    lettuce
    spinach
    leaks
    bell peppers
    chili peppers
    and the one I am most excited about, Scotch bonnet peppers

Twixlen
    Participant

All this talk of tomato plants growing is killing me. KILLING ME. I haven’t even cleared my plot yet. It’s on the agenda for this week, and I’m hoping to get everything purchased and in the ground this weekend.

Oh, the taste of that first ripe tomato.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Allright, I finished painting the end of the garage, and now the ladders are out of the sideyard gardens. I can plant tomatoes and the rest of the vegetables now.

The cilantro is starting to bloom, and I’m thinking of deadheading it to see if it grows more foliage.

TaraK
    Participant

Re: cats & critters

SOMETHING — something bigger than a cat — is sleeping in the strawberry patch at work in our community garden. This jerk crushed a bunch of plants and berries. Some coworkers have said there have been deer bedding down in the past. Any thoughts?

In addition to citrus and coffee grinds, I’ve heard that coyote urine (you can order it online) will keep a lot of critters, cats and dogs included, away. You buy it in crystal form. Anyone have any experience? My mom has also heard that putting lots of human hair (presumably collected from a barber) around the garden will keep deer away because of the human scent in the oils on the hair.

Any thoughts? Guesses on what critter would flatten a roughly 2.5 ft. circle in strawberries?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

That definitely sounds like deer bedding.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    In addition to citrus and coffee grinds, I’ve heard that coyote urine (you can order it online) will keep a lot of critters, cats and dogs included, away. You buy it in crystal form. Anyone have any experience? My mom has also heard that putting lots of human hair (presumably collected from a barber) around the garden will keep deer away because of the human scent in the oils on the hair.

I’ve not had any luck with any of those home remedies. IME, if the critter is hungry no amount of “deterents” will keep them out. It’s gonna come down to a physical barrier.

TaraK
    Participant

alexs wrote >>

I kind of agree, but WHERE WOULD THEY COME FROM?? The garden is in the Weiland Park neighborhood.

derm
    derm
    Participant

JoeMitchell wrote >>
    Does anyone have any experience/success using a greenhouse in Ohio?
    I would love to be able to keep a garden year round. I use raised 8×4 cedar planters. Built an additional one this past weekend and was going to just place it in line with the others along the border of my yard. Then I was thinking about placing it parallel to the others, 3-4′ apart to create a walkway then build a greenhouse to cover, thinking cedar and polycarbonate but that would be $$$.
    Neighborhood association won’t like it, but I can probably argue successfully against the bylaws using the argument that it is not even really a structure given that is does not have a foundation.
    Another question, how does one eradicate mint? gasoline? I keep ripping it out and it’s back in less than 24. People before us put it in the beds bordering the house, I want these beds to be perennials/annuals only and use a pot for the mint.
    Anyone ever do a perennial swap or yard sale? I have some purple stuff, no idea the proper name, some yellow stuff, buttercups maybe, a ton of ferns and grasses. I’d like to get some flocks this year and anything else fairly hardy and flowering.
    Any ideas other than hostas for very shady spots?
    To early to replant dahlia tubers? Google says mid May, I put them in last night, my wife said too early.
    I need to get a book.

Just saw this. I keep spinach,arugula and lettuce overwinterd in a raised bed behind my house. Gives an extra four months of greens. I use row cover and it does fine. A double layer for the really cold months.

alison

TaraK wrote >>

alexs wrote >>

I kind of agree, but WHERE WOULD THEY COME FROM?? The garden is in the Weiland Park neighborhood.

Could they be where they’re clearing the old buildings along Fifth and the railroad tracks? Last fall, there was at least one deer on the old Timken plant grounds for several weeks. I’m not far from you, on the Fort Hayes campus, and we get deer periodically.

If it is deer, I wonder if you can call animal control and get some advice/help. Deer in an urban area definitely seem like a hazard — altho’ they’re apparently everywhere these days!

alison wrote >>

TaraK wrote >>

alexs wrote >>

Could they be where they’re clearing the old buildings? Last fall, there was at least one deer on the old Timken plant grounds for several weeks. I’m not far from you, on the Fort Hayes campus, and we get deer periodically.
    If it is deer, I wonder if you can call animal control and get some advice/help. Deer in an urban area definitely seem like a hazard — altho’ they’re apparently everywhere these days!

I was just speaking with someone on Friday who said there are deer in Italian Village this year, so there are some around…

alison wrote >>
    God knows I eat enough oranges, and you’re not supposed to put them in the compost.

Just to prevent confusion: I think they don’t break down in worm bins. They don’t decompose as fast as other things. However, I compost citrus all the time. Works fine if you have a large, hot outdoor pile.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Rented me a trench digger from Sunbelt and got my subteranneous fence insttalled.

The finished product, 6ft fence, 2ft under ground and 4ft high. That ought to keep ’em out!

My Roses have been just gorgeous this year.

Looks great Jason! When does the rain garden go in?

racheltb
    Participant

I have flowers on the tomatoes, potatoes a couple feet tall (about time to hill them again), picked a quart of strawberries tuesday, tiny peppers on the bell pepper plants, plenty of greens growing, and ripe radishes. We need to stop over at the community garden plot to see how the corn and squash we sowed are doing.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 834 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: