Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How Does Your Garden Grow?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 834 total)
  • Author

My first home had a retaining wall full of slugs and snails. I’m a big fan of hand picking slugs at night and dropping them into jars of pickle juice (left over after I eat the pickles — I used to drink the juice, but can’t do this anymore). The slugs will die in the brine, and you can also use it to dissolve the ick on your fingers from picking up the slugs. It took the population down to reasonable levels at my first place (if you can deal with picking them up).

I’ve also recently began experimenting with ammonia in water (no stronger than 1:4).

JoeMitchell wrote >>

chrisgillespie, as far as garden style I don’t have a clue, just winging it basically. I am happy when things grow.

Cool :) I only asked about style in case you had something in mind, since that would influence plant suggestions.

North side of a building is as cold and shady as it gets, but plants I mentioned should do OK, unless you have already decided to go with a hard surface. Talk to folks at nurseries, and they can point out plants that will work, and you can see the plant right away and see if it’s something you find attractive. When I try new plants, I sometimes buy 3 of the plant, and see how they do. Then, I can buy more the next year. I’m OK with taking a few years to plant the yard. But, if you want things filled in right away, annuals could be a good filler.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The north side of our house is shaded except when the sun is the farthest north, then for a brief time we get sun in through those windows. I once planted ferns on that side of the house, and they fried from too much light.

with all the cooler weather, rain & NO threat from this “global warming mystic religion” my flowering crab tree & red oaks have tripled in size in less than 12 months, I am glad of it.

TaraK
    Participant

@ Patch: Egg shells! Broken egg shells will keep slugs away, but you need a decent amount & to replenish them. (Put out a call for them on FB?) They won’t crawl over the sharp edges.

joev
    Participant

@Patch – also, clearing out rotting leaves from wherever they’re hiding can be a big help, too. When I first moved into my house, there were dozens of snails and slugs crawling up my stairs when it rained. After clearing out rotting leaves from underneath the bushes, etc, the problem subsided significantly.

alison

Patch — I’m too tender hearted for salt, but I love sprinkling diamataceous earth around slug-bait like hostas. Slits slugs gullets when they slither over it. Then they wither and die.

Hehehe….

For the first time ever, I’m having to deal with the negatives of wild cats. A raccoon popped into my garden Sunday night, but all he did was slit open a bag of mulch. The feral cats have been pooping in one of the beds. Spread a big garbage bag of used coffee grounds on everything, and tossed some ornage peels under the rose bussh yesterday. No crap today, so I’m keeping my ffingers crossed.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

My microgreens and lettuces started sprouting! Yay!

dirtgirl
    Participant

alison wrote >>
    The feral cats have been pooping in one of the beds. Spread a big garbage bag of used coffee grounds on everything, and tossed some ornage peels under the rose bussh yesterday. No crap today, so I’m keeping my ffingers crossed.

This is happening to me too, and in our veggie beds! Are orange peels and coffee grounds supposed to keep them away?

derm
    derm
    Participant

Patch wrote >>
    Ugh, just check my garden and slugs are all over our zucchini.
    Any ideas, organic (or otherwise)

Escar-go from Gardens Alive. Organic, non-toxic if you are not a slug, and breaks down into fertilizer. Works great. Slugs just disappear.

alison

dirtgirl wrote >>

alison wrote >>
    The feral cats have been pooping in one of the beds. Spread a big garbage bag of used coffee grounds on everything, and tossed some ornage peels under the rose bussh yesterday. No crap today, so I’m keeping my ffingers crossed.

This is happening to me too, and in our veggie beds! Are orange peels and coffee grounds supposed to keep them away?

I’ve been told cats hate the smell of citrus, so I’m hopin’. God knows I eat enough oranges, and you’re not supposed to put them in the compost.

I’ve found coffee grounds are great for keeping squirrels out of bulbs. (I get at least three time the lilies I used to, now that I plonk a big handful of grounds on top off every bulb I plant.) They are good for loosening up the soil, and I’m hoping the strong smell will keep tthe cats from needing to come back and re-mark the rose bushes.

One other plus is that for a few weeks, on a sunny day, it smells like a coffee shop in your back yard!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Re: Cats – advice at least a decade old from a hot pepper list, leave tape laying sticky-side-up. (The ethics of doing this have been an ongoing controversy.) It’s sort of a portable Venus Fly Trap that the cat can take back to its owner, if there is one. If not, then time, temperature, and tension are the enemies of tape.

Patch
    Participant

derm wrote >>

Patch wrote >>
    Ugh, just check my garden and slugs are all over our zucchini.
    Any ideas, organic (or otherwise)

Escar-go from Gardens Alive. Organic, non-toxic if you are not a slug, and breaks down into fertilizer. Works great. Slugs just disappear.

Thanks!

I ended up finding something close yesterday at the Home Depot called “ecosense” slug and snail killer. Okay for pets and wildlife to be around (according to the label).

I’m going to try the egg shell method too, since we have eggs pretty much every day.

I moved our compost pile and used most of the soil, so I think that they are searching for a new food source.

BTW, how is everyone’s tomato plants doing? I swear ours have doubled in size since I planted them on Sunday.

alison

I put my ‘maters out two weeks ago, against a south facing brick wall. with all this rain they have at least tripled in ssize. But I’m laying in the soaker hose for this summer, when all that heat turns into a liability!

Went to the big garden swap in Hilliard this morning — had to be better than 100 people there. Picked up a bunch of ornamental foliage plants, and some speciality mints — grapefruit and lavender, as well as Kentucky Colonel spearmint, which I swear is the absolutely best for mojitos.

Now I have to go home and plant it all….

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I have an aluminium extension ladder laying across the bed where my tomatoes will be, come on dry weather and let me move this painting project along.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 834 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: