Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How do I see Easments on my parcel?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How do I see Easments on my parcel?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posole
    Posole
    Participant

I was surfing around the Franklin County Auditor’s site and I can’t seem to see whether I have any easments on my parcel. I want to put up a small garden shed. There’s a sewer line and an electric line along one one of the property lines where I want to put it and I have to think that I can’t build too close to that, right? Where do I find that? I live in Columbus.

whopper jr
    whopper jr
    Participant

I don’t think the auditor’s mapping function will show any easements or utility lines. Your deed may specify that you have easements, but will also probably not show a graphic site plan.

Even though you may not be actually digging, I’d use the Ohio Call Before You Dig system. http://call811.com/

Rioward7
    Participant

Most residential areas have a 10 foot easement on all boundaries of your parcel. I built a shed a few years back without checking. I ended up having to jack it up and roll it ten feet off the property line. I would make sure you check first!

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Go to the county recorders office. Ask for a plat map. It’s like $5 or something. Most of the easmements on smaller lots are 5 or 6 feet. My yard has a 5′ easement for utility lines.

http://recorder.franklincountyohio.gov/

There may be other limits depending on how close it is to the road or another building on an adjacent property. To find out about distances to roads and structures, you would need to call city zoning.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Most residential areas have a 10 foot easement on all boundaries of your parcel. I built a shed a few years back without checking. I ended up having to jack it up and roll it ten feet off the property line. I would make sure you check first!

Rolling a shed is no big deal. But I wanted an elevated floor so it stays clean and dry, and so I want to put it up on posts.

A161830
    Participant

When you bought your house you should have had a survey included in the title work. The survey should tell you what you need to know.

Eugene_C
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rioward7 wrote:</div>

Rolling a shed is no big deal. But I wanted an elevated floor so it stays clean and dry, and so I want to put it up on posts.

Well that makes it easy then. If it has a foundation then you will need a building permit. Just apply for the permit and they’ll tell you whether it’s too close or not.

tonloc620
    Participant

This thread refers to a setback requirement not an easement.

Your deed will have the easement location, usually if there are any utilities running through your property underground, they will have an easement 10 – 20′ wide which means you cannot build any permanent structures on the easement. Contact the Auditors office for a copy of the deed of easement.

You should also check with the city to determine what your setback requirements are for ancillary structures as well as the lot coverage restrictions

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Thanks for all the help.

Eugene_C
    Participant

…Contact the Auditors office for a copy of the deed of easement…

The Auditor’s office does not have a copy of the deed. They only have selected information about the parcel. You need to go to the Recorder’s office for the deed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.