Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How do I ride COTA with a bike?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A How do I ride COTA with a bike?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Lakee911
    Participant

How do I hop on the bus if I have a bicycle with me? Do I place it in the rack on the front of the bus or does the driver? Does it just fold down?

For those that don’t have a BuckID, how do we go about paying on board if we have no pass?

I’m inspired to ask after someone else mentioned that riding the bus can be intimidating.

Thanks!

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Lakee911 wrote >>
    How do I hop on the bus if I have a bicycle with me? Do I place it in the rack on the front of the bus or does the driver? Does it just fold down?

You fold down the rack, place the bike on the rack and sure it using that adjustable hook thing.. I didn’t really find it all that difficult.

The driver is not allowed to assist.

Here is the relevant page along with downloadable instruction sheet: http://www.cotagobus.com/bike_n_bus.asp

roy
    Participant

Every question you asked is answered on their website. There’s a video tutorial of how to load your bike. COTA dot com.

Coreroc

You just need to pay the fair in cash for your trip into the money box just inside the front of the bus. See the COTA website for current fares ande transfer fees if needed. As for the bike the rack folds down and you drop your bike into place. I believe there is an arm the slides down to secure your bike and you just jump on and pay from there.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I remember the first time I did bike and bus and how nerve racking it was. The driver doesn’t do anything and you are technically supposed to use the rack in front.

If it’s already up you wait till the bus comes to a complete stop, catch the drivers eye and step in front. There is a handle in the front center to release the catch and lower the rack. If you are the first bike on, you go closest to the bus. There will be a J shaped arm on one side, that is where your front wheel goes. Line your 2 wheels up in the track, move the J shaped arm over your front wheel to hold it in place.

When you go in the bus, there will be a slot for quarters and one for bills. Ask the driver since it might be confusing.

Usually the audio system works to announce stops. Sometimes they don’t, so just be aware as you get closer. It helps to use the Google transit search for Columbus to figure out stops and times.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Make sure you have exact change. For now, a one way ride is $1.50. If you need to take another bus to get to where you are going, tell the driver before you pay that you need a transfer. Those are free. He’ll give you a transfer card.
    Then you board the next bus and pay with your transfer. There is a slot to put the card in. You can’t use transfers for return trips.

If you are going to take a few rides in one day, you may want a day pass which you buy on board for $3.50. Tell the driver first that is what you want. Again, exact change. Then you use that to pay for as many rides as you want in one day.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

you may also want to sit near the front and exit through the front door so the driver knows you are getting a bike.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    you may also want to sit near the front and exit through the front door so the driver knows you are getting a bike.

That’s what I always tried to do. Not always easy during peak hours and kind of maddening fun to time walking up the aisle, while the bus is moving/slowing to be near the front before the salmon stream came through.

What always helped me on loading was to see if the approaching bus already had a bike and shoulder mine so the wheel would be facing the right way. Then I could lower the rack with one hand and swing/place the bike.

And when did COTA revamp their site?

BCNation
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    Make sure you have exact change. For now, a one way ride is $1.50. If you need to take another bus to get to where you are going, tell the driver before you pay that you need a transfer. Those are free. He’ll give you a transfer card.
    Then you board the next bus and pay with your transfer. There is a slot to put the card in. You can’t use transfers for return trips.
    If you are going to take a few rides in one day, you may want a day pass which you buy on board for $3.50. Tell the driver first that is what you want. Again, exact change. Then you use that to pay for as many rides as you want in one day.

Soon to be $ 1.75 and $ 4, respectively.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

I’ve never used the bike racks, but I can tell you I did an embarrassing amount of research into how to properly ride the COTA bus before I tried it for the first time. It’s second nature now, but I can tell you it is intimidating the first time…it seems from afar that everyone just knows how it should work. I don’t know if I expected to be asked for the password or what, but I was intimidated.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

StowCbusCleveland wrote >>
    I’ve never used the bike racks, but I can tell you I did an embarrassing amount of research into how to properly ride the COTA bus before I tried it for the first time. It’s second nature now, but I can tell you it is intimidating the first time…it seems from afar that everyone just knows how it should work. I don’t know if I expected to be asked for the password or what, but I was intimidated.

I remember going through that. Maybe we should start doing a “COTA 101 class” on weekends when traffic won’t be as high. Someone could bring a bike and show folks how to work it. Everyone could buy a bus pass ahead of time and practice some transfers and reading the time tables at stops.

StowCbusCleveland
    Participant

Just popped into my head, but it’d be cool if COTA had an event where they parked a bus and actually let you practice loading up your bike. Maybe COTA could use one of their buses as a booth during festival season in the summer?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

StowCbusCleveland wrote >>
    Just popped into my head, but it’d be cool if COTA had an event where they parked a bus and actually let you practice loading up your bike. Maybe COTA could use one of their buses as a booth during festival season in the summer?

Perfect for Earth Day! The organizers always promote bike riding.

Lakee911
    Participant

Thank you so much for the helpful answers.

MikeReed
    Participant

Take a trip up High street when you don’t really need to be anywhere at all. That will take the pressure off.

The racks are easy to use. Pull up, and toward you- turns out to be a pretty easy single motion. The rack folds down. Pop your bike in and pull a single, simple handle over one tire.

Try to exit from the front of the bus and you can let the driver know you are grabbing your bike. The racks fold up as easy.

Again, the best strategy is just plan a trip with no destination and you’ll get a feel for how easy it is and know exactly what to do when you really are catching the bus.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: