Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How did you find your job?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion How did you find your job?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

TaraK
    Participant

I’m not looking for job hunt tips so much as just wondering how most folks in Columbus found their jobs. My husband is about to enter the job search locally.

Did you use online search options? Was it a word-of-mouth opportunity? Did it come via networking? Did you solicit someone without a posting?

My job was never posted externally and was circulated via email. For that, I feel lucky that it somehow got forwarded to me. At the same time, it’s kind of distressing to think it could easily not have been, or that job searches are so contingent on networking, which can be extra hard for those new-ish to the area.

gramarye
    Participant

I think it may vary industry to industry. I’m in the legal profession, and we remain very much a networking-based profession. I consider this somewhat unfortunate, as it makes it difficult for unconnected newcomers to break into the profession (and likewise for people established in one area to reestablish themselves in another market if they need or want to move). Nevertheless, it’s a reality of the profession, and of course, our clientele often reaches us through networking as well, so it’s a characteristic of the profession once you get there anyway, so perhaps having it be a skill set you need to develop to get in makes some sense.

Either way, my previous job (the one I had right out of law school) was a term position that involved a lot of contact with the local bar. In the last few months of the term, I simply picked up the phone and started calling the people who had regularly been calling me. I was at least something of a known quantity by then, and the market in my particular field was reasonably busy, which didn’t hurt. One of those firms had enough on its plate to justify adding a new associate. The rest is history.

I’m sure it’s different in many other industries. It might even be different today in the legal field, for that matter. LinkedIn really has upended (or at least altered) a lot of more of the old networks a lot faster than I’d have expected. In fact, for a new person in town, one of the first things I’d tell a person is to make sure that their LinkedIn profile is polished and comprehensive. Get in touch with people who might write you references in the old-fashioned way and have them write you LinkedIn recommendations in addition. And, of course, make sure all the necessary boxes are checked to state that you are in fact looking for new career opportunities, and in the appropriate geographic area, too; recruiters search by such criteria. I haven’t been on the job market recently, so I don’t know if what worked for me before would be the same thing that would work for me again, though I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt.

TaraK
    Participant

When I read “a lot of contact with the local bar,” I honestly (and stupidly) interpreted that to mean networking over beers. Then I figured out what you meant.

I’m really curious as to how much LinkedIn plays a role in the Columbus job market. I know friends who’ve found positions through the site, but never within the city they lived in.

tdziemia
    Participant

I read an article recently (don’t remember where) that the majority of jobs are found through networking, whether that’s family, friends, professional colleagues, etc. As opposed to formal channels. I think the context was a national survey, not local.
    Personally, I’m currently working two part time jobs. One came about via an internet search, the other neighborhood word of mouth …
    Both were career changes from previously, so Linked In played no appreciable role (though I’ve written Linked in recs, as gramarye mentions, for people who used to work for me).
    Just one person’s experience …

joev
    Participant

I think LinkedIn plays a role in that when someone likes you after an interview, they check out what people say about you on LinkedIn. I’ve advertised a couple jobs on it: it’s expensive, and the quality of applicants I got was fairly dismal.

joev
    Participant

brothermarcus
    Participant

The first job I obtained in my field out of college was found through a newspaper ad for a different job. I interviewed for a position which thankfully the supervisor interviewing me could tell I wasn’t a fit for. An administrator from another department who assisted with my interview thought of me when they were filling a position a month later and called me back in. When I decided to move back to Columbus it was an arduous and mostly internet-based process to get my foot in the door of social work here with any agency (even getting a response from HR that they weren’t considering me was rare). After five months searching I took a heavy pay cut to get to Columbus, but very quickly I moved up the ranks and was at a higher wage based on my performance and willingness to take on new challenges. My current position- the best job I’ve had in social work- was posted on careerbuilder.com and my wife (then fiancee) encouraged me to take the leap and apply for it. I haven’t relied on networking in gaining work in my field to this point. I was able to get entry-level work while in high school and college with the help of friends and relatives putting a good word in for me.

AlvinLamar

Internet is the best place for searching, it really help. There are many consultants available online that can help you. I got my job through them only.
    Business broadband and phone

AlanBarber
    Participant

I think it’s going to vary for job areas.

As a software developer / contractor it’s all about the networking, both online and offline. The really good jobs are rarely ever publically listed as they are easily filled through back channels of friends and professional acquaintances. The market is crazy. If you list a job opening you’ll get hundreds if not thousands of applications or you can just ask current staff if they know anyone good to hire and get a list of 2-3 people they know looking for work and hire one of those.

In my case the job that got me to move to columbus was all initiated on twitter thanks to a very large and connected group of people in the IT field, many that I had met at conferences. I posted a simple “I’m sick of my job, anyone hiring?” and two weeks later I had a tentative contract in place at a consulting firm in town. Although it took 3 months for them to place me at a client and actually hire me so I could move down to Columbus.

geoyui
    Participant

My current job was thru a recruiter, who was trying to recruit me for another job, but the company ended up not hiring anyone. She liked me so much, she passed my info to her husband at another company. The point of the story is networking and be nice to everyone during the process, you never know what will happen.

My second suggestion is professional orgs focused more towards your husband’s profession. My fiance is a web developer/designer and her networks/contacts/referrals are all she uses to stay busy with her design company.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Whenever I see a discussion on networking, I am reminded of this Monty Python skit:

Networking is something that is simply not taught well, if at all, in schools. I understand it is important, but companies’ reliance on networking leaves out many otherwise excellent workers who may be introverted or otherwise just not outgoing.

As for myself, I got my job through temp work. I was placed at a temp job at a good company, and was eventually able to prove myself and parlay that temp experience into a full time gig. No networking necessary!

melikecheese
    Participant

Someone found my resume on Monster 8 years ago.

Meaning I got lucky.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

I’m in the engineering profession. I know our internal HR/staffing team bombards sites like Monster and CareerBuilder with postings, but in the end, I feel like most of our new hires are from one of these three categories:

1. Newbies right out of college that were interns here.

2. Experiences folks that have long-standing relationships with people already within the company.

3. People that used to work with us as clients and have an intimate knowledge of our business.

All three are various forms of “networking” I guess.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: