Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

How big a deal IS the train noise if you live close to tracks in Clintonville?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A How big a deal IS the train noise if you live close to tracks in Clintonville?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Blanca78

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, even though I’ve lived in Columbus for five years. Thanks in advance for helping with my question–I’ve read some older threads that have addressed it tangentially, but would like some more direct answers.

My husband and I want to buy a house in Clintonville. Most of those in our price range are close (like, very close–less than a block away) from the train tracks.

How big a deal is the noise? Loud enough to wake us in the night? Or just background noise? How frequent are the train horns?

I grew up about six blocks from an Amtrak route, so am used to train horns, but have never lived AS close as some of the houses we’re considering.

billbix

I rented about a block from those tracks nearer to campus for a year. In my case they shook the house and did wake me (at about 3am regularly). I got used to it, but I never didn’t notice it. I don’t think I would buy a house that close.

They have to use the horns when approaching a same grade crossing so that all depends on the particular house location.

AmyJ
    Participant

I live a good 4 blocks from the train tracks and can hear it quite clearly, but it’s just like any other city noise. I think the sirens from the nearby fire station are more annoying than the train horns.

bjones7
    Participant

How far from the tracks are you talking about? I grew up right by high st and I could hear the trains during the night very clearly. Morse Rd might of amplified the sound in fact. The train never bothered me, but again when you live so close to High Street…well no wonder.

When I lived in San Francisco in the Richmond District (north center of the peninsula), I could hear the Tanker ships blowing their horns just as well as I heard the trains where I grew up. In fact I then lived a mile away from the Golden Gate and off Geary Blvd (like high st)..

So I must be use to the noise because I now live a mile away from 270 and 3 miles away from the Airport and I feel like I live in a “ghost town” as far as the noise is concern.

Corrin Radd
    Participant

I think you’ve got to consider resale value and the difficulties of selling the house when you’re ready to move on. I think you’d be better off stretching yourselves financially to buy a place a few blocks further away from the tracks. If you can’t do it now, consider that the real estate market will be cooling off at least slightly due to the interest rate increases, and take another year or two to save more money to buy a house that’s not next to the tracks.

I work in a warehouse/production space directly next to the tracks at the Weber crossing. They use the horn everytime. If we are outside – you can’t hear conversation with people right next to you – inside it’s not so bad, but like billbix said, you ALWAYS hear it.

Pablo
    Participant

I used to live on N 4th in Glen Echo. Our house didn’t back onto the tracks, it was on the west side of the street. I was surprised how loud north bound locomotives are but I got used to them pretty quickly. You had to stop conversations on the porch but that was about all. My house sold within a couple of months on the market so I didn’t find trains to be an issue in my case. Talk to people living there now, your potential future neighbors, ask if the noise bothers them.

Blanca78

Thank you all, this is immensely helpful. We are talking houses that are maybe half a block down. I’m also concerned about resale. Last time we tried to sell a house (in another state) it was at the bottom of the market, and it sucked big time–we are still landlords because of it. So I am very wary of resale issues.

Corrin Radd, wise words. I do wonder what the market will be like say, a year from now. I’m worried about prices going up but don’t want to act out of panic inspired by all the talk about the Columbus market being superheated right now.

Blanca78

Thanks, Pablo–we are interested in Glen Echo and so have a couple houses there on our radar. However, they do back up to the tracks and have been sitting on the market for a bit, so that may rule them out. Too bad.

Blanca78

p.s. SpottieOttie–yeah, a couple of them are right by the Weber crossing. Very good to know.

pez
    Participant

Corrin Radd said:
    I think you’ve got to consider resale value and the difficulties of selling the house when you’re ready to move on. I think you’d be better off stretching yourselves financially to buy a place a few blocks further away from the tracks. If you can’t do it now, consider that the real estate market will be cooling off at least slightly due to the interest rate increases, and take another year or two to save more money to buy a house that’s not next to the tracks.

I’d agree with this, although in terms of value it may be a wash, you buy at a discount and you’re going to sell at a discount. Railroad tracks about 100 yards from my parents’ old house definately impacted their ability to sell it, even though there was no nearby crossing and you couldn’t hear it when the windows were closed.

Pablo
    Participant

I lived there for 8 years – I didn’t mean to insinuate the noise was intollerable, it wasn’t. I slept with my windows open.

dirtgirl
    Participant

My garage probably backs up to Pablo’s, as we’re on the east side of Glenmawr – basically one block west of the tracks. Inside the house with the windows closed, you’ll usually fail to notice the train at all, outside of some gentle vibrations and maybe the sound of the whistle as they approach Weber to our north. On the porch it’s louder, but honestly, not much more than the planes going overhead as they depart CMH. If I lived on N. 4th with trains literally in my back yard, I’d have a different view.

For the record, houses on Glenmawr and Summit have been selling really quickly, so if there is any effect of the trains on resale, it’s likely limited exclusively to the houses right on the tracks.

That said, we are down near Arcadia. I have to imagine it’s worse up near Weber with the grade-level crossing.

Blanca78

Thanks again for the replies. We are now in contract for a house a little west of Indianola, so I think we’ll be fine. FWIW, I like the sound of trains…

DouginCMH
    Participant

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: