Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Housing Proposed by Wallick (et al) at 18th and Main

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Housing Proposed by Wallick (et al) at 18th and Main

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

JamesF
    Participant

Presentation Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:30pm was held at the Ohio Avenue Elementary School (The meeting was requested by the site Development team includes Wallick Communities, Smith/Tandy, and Moody-Nolan).

The group has created a Facebook Page and they will be putting up conceptual renderings, floor plans, other information from the presentation,

Estimated 16.5M project (11M investment, 5.5M in debt) for 85-100 unit affordable housing which would be estimated rent at $850-900 for 2BR. Breakdown likely to be 75% 1BR, 25% 2BR.

Four conceptual schemes presented. First floor included “community space” and parking (1.5/unit). Second and third floors residential.

Just sharing the limited notes I did take – if anyone has corrected/additional details, please feel free to provide!

Discussion was lively.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We didn’t get any details on this meeting prior. Is there a way to sign up for updates?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

This is the same site that Buster Douglas was teaming up to redevelop many years ago. Is he still involved with the proposal?

Dusting off some CU archives – http://www.columbusunderground.com/buster-douglas-tries-hand-at-columbus-condos

JamesF
    Participant

We didn’t get any details on this meeting prior.

It was announced by email from NEAC’s Chair on Aug 27 – it was shared to the Yahoo groups and posted as event to other Near East communication outlets on Facebook (organization pages and the Near East Neighborhood Forum).

Also posted as event to Nextdoor.

Is there a way to sign up for updates?

They said to “Like” the Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/eastmainand18th) in order to be kept updated through Constant Contact.

JamesF
    Participant

This is the same site that Buster Douglas was teaming up to redevelop many years ago. Is he still involved with the proposal?

This has previously been referred to as the Buster Douglas site.

There was nothing that gave any indication that Douglas is involved with the proposed development.

The Franklin County Auditor’s records show that the two parcels 010-066971 and 010-093457 sold to Main 18 LLC in 2012 for $575K

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I was hoping for something a little more substantial. This site presents a unique opportunity to create a “gateway” to the near east side and a revitalized E Main Street. I’m talking mixed use mid rises with hundreds of residential units (including affordable units), ground floor retail, offices and a parking structure. Some would argue that there is no market for a project this large in that location. I would argue yes and no. For one, if revitalization took hold down E Main, which it will, a project of this scale would be much more attractive. However, I also believe that this project could serve as a catalyst for that stretch. E Main will eventually get more attention with the continued trend of revitalizing neighborhoods so close to downtown. Having Children’s next door doesn’t hurt either.

Sites that large so close to downtown are farther and fewer between and this opportunity should be better taken advantage of.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Very much agreed with Jason.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It was announced by email from NEAC’s Chair on Aug 27…

Is there any way to get on that email distribution list?

I don’t do Yahoo groups or Nextdoor, and I’m not a fan of Facebook. ;)

hbote
    Participant

Jason – their market study did indicate a potential demand. I thought I had the numbers written down in my notes but I don’t. From what I remember it seemed reasonable.

To piggyback off of James’ notes: They are targeting the $30-$45K income levels and as such will keep 70% of the site as affordable. This does not mean Section 8. New tenants would have to prove that they make that level of income when they fill out application. Market rates indicate that you can get close to $1,200 for a 2 bedroom and they are going to keep them in the $850 to $900 range.

I am very excited for the new development. I do believe this is the catalyst that will help revitalize Main Street. I hope that all of our neighborhood residents keep an open mind, explore and engage with the developers, and work with them to create an awesome end product.

Evaknutson
    Participant

I am typically for most new development, but this seems off base to me. In a place where is so much abandon homes to build bland multi unit housing is just wrong for this site and a wasted opportunity for a more viable commercial opportunity which we have few sites to accommodate.

ohbr
    Participant

I am typically for most new development, but this seems off base to me. In a place where is so much abandon homes to build bland multi unit housing is just wrong for this site and a wasted opportunity for a more viable commercial opportunity which we have few sites to accommodate.

Commercial in what way? Stores with a parking lot? Rusty Bucket style? Or office space or manufacturing space?

Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong area but hasn’t there been a bit of investment in to rebuilding or building new homes on or near 18th? Wouldn’t this concept compliment that and offer a bit more support to building up that community?

Evaknutson
    Participant

I am typically for most new development, but this seems off base to me. In a place where there are so many abandon homes, to build bland multi unit housing is just wrong for this site and a wasted opportunity for a more viable commercial property. Restaurants would be great, just look how the yellow brick has helped that area come up and a more inviting place to enjoy. All the nice places to eat in old town are packed on the week ends, it would be great to have more options which would attract more people to the area to rehab existing housing.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Any development here should have 1st floor retail space along the length of Main St IMO.

JamesF
    Participant

Zoning Variances have been requested for this project and can be viewed in our Digital Library at http://FranklinParkAssociation.org (Neighborhood Plans)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_0yMiRIzHxWN0xocnJ0RGctRXM/view?usp=sharing

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Lets see some renderings!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: