Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

House selling question

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat House selling question

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

What I’ve seen more often is that the seller prices a house too high (often against the agent’s advice) resulting in a negative perception by buyers and agents.

But agents’ advice is compromised by their own interest and can’t be trusted, as explained above. I used nice round numbers in my post to make the math easy.

When I’m selling my home, I want it to go for the higher price. Who cares about a quick sale? I can pay a couple extra mortgage payments if it means I sell for $10k, $20k, $30k more.

And nothing you say explains away the fact that when real estate agents sell their own homes, they are on the market longer and go for higher prices than the homes of their clients.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Another possibility if interest rates start inching upwards: it could cause an initial rush to the market before they get too high.

SusanB
    Participant

With the internet figuring out your area comps is pretty easy. This is something everyone should do before investing major monies in upgrading your home (unless you just want to make it nice for yourself). People get really emotional and stupid over real estate. It’s only worth what someone will pay for it. Period.

I’m not a realtor but I am somewhat involved in real estate and am very aware of my area’s comps, sales and rental prices. I’ve seen several families lose houses because they insist that grandma’s home has to be worth x so that’s what it goes on the market for. No one buys it and soon the mortgage payments and/or taxes add up and the house gets foreclosed.

If you are really unhappy with the current comps for your area you could rent it in the mean time while gambling that the neighborhood will improve. But that’s a whole other conversation.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

This might be simplistic, but the “curb appeal” of this neighborhood drew me here, and I intend to add to that. Apparently this house was in rather neglected condition, so having some nice gardens etc. should help to boost the neighborhood.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.