Messageboard - TV

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

House of Cards

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion TV House of Cards

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

So that character exited the series ala Charlie Sheen’s character from TWO AND A HALF MEN – went from being an annoying person to getting “exploded like a balloon full of meat.”

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Introduction of Deadwood veterans is always a good thing too, digging the new whip.

RedStorm
    Participant

Season 2 was overly predictable, but still an enjoyable watch.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

RedStorm said:
    Season 2 was overly predictable

I don’t know, about the 50 minute mark of ep. 1 left my jaw hanging open.

I also think all the things that didn’t go Frank’s way were unexpected, and there were a lot of them.

RedStorm
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    I don’t know, about the 50 minute mark of ep. 1 left my jaw hanging open.

I also think all the things that didn’t go Frank’s way were unexpected, and there were a lot of them.

Ehh, I probably called 80% of what was going to happen. Sometimes multiple episodes before they did. I was never really “on the edge of my seat” for too much of this season. I mean, I called the end of season 2 back in season 1.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

RedStorm said:
    Ehh, I probably called 80% of what was going to happen. Sometimes multiple episodes before they did. I was never really “on the edge of my seat” for too much of this season. I mean, I called the end of season 2 back in season 1.

GOLD STAR

Pablo
    Participant

I was really concerned that they’d have a hard time matching the first season in quality, pace, etc.

Then I watched the first episode of season 2.

There were so many amazing things in that episode, beyond the “holy shit” moment, but the one that stands out is when Frank finally addresses the audience again.

Awesome.

Finally started watching season 2 – I’m with you Core, it was awesome, right down to the “FU” cuff links after the mirror scene. My mouth hung open at the “holy shit” moment….

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne and I just got started this weekend. Watched the first two episodes, so I’m hesitant to read anything else in this thread. We both thought that the pilot was excellently made and didn’t really feel too much like your typical “setup” pilot episode. Much more robust and satisfying, and it felt like it covered a lot of ground.

Looking forward to blasting through the rest of both seasons in the coming weeks. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Anne and I just finished up Season 1 tonight (and just read the comments in this article up to the start of Season 2 to avoid spoilers). We’ve been cranking through them about 1 or 2 per day when we have a spare moment. Absolutely great series!

I agree with some of the criticism I read on a recap site somewhere that said that some of the mid-season episodes really play a little heavy on the fact that everything wraps up a little too nicely for Frank every step of the way. Whenever things seem to be going off the rails a little bit, it would swing back around and reveal that Frank was always the mastermind behind every little step and the missteps too. Which kind of deflates a bit of tension once you hit a rhythm and realize that no matter what Frank will always win.

That of course, seemed to change in the final two episodes of Season 1 as the reporters started piecing everything together while Frank simultaneously goes toe-to-toe with Billionaire Tusk in what felt like the first real risky maneuvering he had done all season.

Great cliffhanger ending as well.

Can’t wait to dive into Season 2!

NerosNeptune
    Participant

We’re just so jaded by shows like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad that it seems like something is a little off when good things happen for a character..

RedStorm
    Participant

http://grantland.com/features/netflix-house-cards-gamble/

When I finally faced the finale at 11:55 p.m. on Sunday night, I felt no suspense. It was like ordering takeout from the Thai place near the Slugline office with Janine Skorsky: Would you like the green curry or the green curry? To paraphrase Caddyshack, another gripping story about the dark underbelly of an elite institution: You’ll feel nothing and like it.

^On Season 1.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We just watched Season 2 Episode 1! Holy shit!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It took us two full months, but we finally finished Season 2. Great show, just too many other good things going on lately.

Overall, the tone seemed to shift a bit from Frank’s full-in-control-of-everything steamroller of season one to a much more playful dance between interesting characters (Remy, Tusk, Feng, even the President’s paranoid fight against Frank got interesting in the final episode or two). Claire seemed like she had more to do this season overall, but at times was just the wifey-gossip connection to the President’s wife, which felt a little silly.

It felt like a lot of unnecessary time was spent on the Goodwin story early on just to tie up loose ends, and I found him much less interesting than Zoe, despite her flaws. But it did give us Liam McPoyle from Always Sunny as a great computer hacker, so that’s a fun trade off. Seems they’re setting him up for a bigger role in Season 3.

Similarly, the Rachel storyline seemed like an odd loose end that the writers didn’t quite know what to do with, but the OMG moment of Doug Stamper getting killed was a big satisfying cliffhanger to end the Season with.

All in all, very happy with the show. Great cast, well-developed characters, and an interesting antihero lead that I’m not sure if I’m supposed to root for, but I am interested to see everything he does and hear everything he says (a la Walter White).

Looking forward to Season 3!

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

President Frank Underwood… has nice ring to it, doesn’t it?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

The forum ‘TV’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: