Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hounddog's Pizza

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Hounddog's Pizza

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author

thirstychef
    Participant

Hounddogs….when its good, its really good, but most of the time its not the case.

About a year ago we ordered take out. They routinely undercook their pizzas, so we ask for it extra crispy. Last time that happened I got it and it was burnt. Black burnt, not even close to crispy. The kind of burnt that is intentional.

So I called back and a sweet girl answered the phone and I explained the situation, I could hear the conversation with her “manager” in the background. As she was explaining the situation he was making comments:

“They ordered it burnt”, “Hell no we are not making a new one”, etc.

Luckily for us the nice waitress pleaded with her “manager” to remake the pie. They remade it, and it tasted good.

That girl got karma points, but Houndogs hasn’e gotten any money from me in a long, long, time.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Inner dick.

TIL.

geoyui
    Participant

funny how this thread is about Yahoo praising Hounddogs. It reminds me of forbes.com listing Bodega as a top “college” bar.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

After a terrible service experience a few years ago we’ve never been back to dine at Hounddog’s. Which is a shame because their pizza is great. We’ve ordered it for take out a few times during off-peak hours, which seems to work much better.

I think there’s just a long term problem with disgruntled staffing there. I bet they have to put up with a lot during the late night drunken hours, but that doesn’t mean taking it out on everyone is acceptable behavior.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Walker said:
    I think there’s just a long term problem with disgruntled staffing there. I bet they have to put up with a lot during the late night drunken hours, but that doesn’t mean taking it out on everyone is acceptable behavior.

Sounds like poor management/ownership to me.

Senator Tankerbell
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    Sounds like poor management/ownership to me.

Who owns that place?

joev
    Participant

Kennsington Q. Hounddog.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    Kennsington Q. Hounddog.

Graybeak
    Participant

I remember when the first opened, the delight I would take in their pizza. I worked second shift at Honda out in East Liberty, and when I got off work I would stop and call from a payphone at the gas station just off 33 there in Dublin, and order my pizza. (shows how long ago it was) and then it would be ready for pick up by the time I got to the store.
    At that point there were just a couple people working, no dining room to speak of, let alone the Ravari Room. Even before the advent of Smokin Joe crust.
    It was a simpler time, and happier employees.

lifeliberty
    Participant

last time I was there I had a horrible time, especially due to the heat. i’ve never been so miserable in that place. i used to go a lot years ago, and I hadn’t been in a while. so a friend and i go out for pizza and i was sweating in the place just sitting there. totally uncomfortable, we ended leaving becasue it was so gross. and service has always been bad and slow. i’d only get take out from now on, eating in is just not worth it.

joev
    Participant

rus said:

It’s like you had that pic in your back pocket!

TailgateJeff
    Participant

For the last 5 or 6 years, wife and I have been regulars at The Ravari Room which is the bar attached to Hound Dog’s Pizza. We have never had any of the issues mentioned by others in this thread.

You can get the Hound Dog’s menu at the Ravari Room until 10PM. We have always had good food and drinks and great service. The Ravari Room offerds a good happy hour with a good selection of beers. They also have a trivia contest on Thursday starting at 8PM.

Then again, we aren’t eating there at 4AM after the staff has delt with a horde of drunken, belligerent idiots for the last few hours.

mbeaumont
    Participant

I love Hound Dog’s pizza, but I’ve had numerous issues with them being straight up pricks like everyone else.

A little while back I went to a Lydia Loveless show at Rumba Café with my Dad and we ended up going to Hound Dog’s afterwards.

So it’s like 2am when we wander in and I’m preparing my Dad for it, “these guys make awesome pizza, but they are total assholes, blah, blah, blah.” We were waited on by two of the sweetest, most friendly girls you could imagine. It was honestly, kind of a letdown, haha.

Schoolboy
    Participant

If you want a good late night experience at Hound Dog’s look around at those dining that night. If a couple of the large tables are filled with the rude loud and obnoxious… which is around 1/4 of the time… just leave. Yeah I know it’s their job to overlook that type of behavior, but I know I couldn’t.

Jeffersin
    Jeffersin
    Participant

Their pizza trumps the dirty ass tables and occasional shitty service and they know it and I accept it. I wish they would open a second location closer to downtown.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE